Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:42:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Linux Ubuntu the most secure OS to store my BTC on?  (Read 3045 times)
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:28:26 PM

Use gentoo and harden the shit out of it using grsecurity and selinux. Grin

But for simplicity I'd recommend an external (usb connected) hard disk with some linux os installed on it. Only use it to manage your wallet. Especially no webbrowsing. And NEVER let a running system access the disk, always boot directly from it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
voneiden

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:11:51 PM

Use gentoo and harden the shit out of it using grsecurity and selinux. Grin

+1, posting from hardened gentoo. :-) Armory with offline wallet running on linux is pretty much as safe as it gets. And backups, backups and backups..
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 08:21:09 PM

In vanilla format, windows and Ubuntu are about as secure as each other.

The big problem these days is not the standard OS, but the apps running on it. So you might not download any malware, but you could still end up having a hacker come visit.

The major problem with most Linux distros is everyone thinks they are secure and don't do the patch management that it needs to keep it secure!

Just be careful with your passwords and your encryption, and you should be ok.

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:25:47 PM

Screw all of this. Just use a offline computer, doesn't matter what OS then. SAFEST option.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:29:14 PM

I'm no fan of Ubuntu, but if you are comparing to Windows, it's much saffer.

bongwater

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:55:50 PM

They are equally as safe in my opinion.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:18:14 PM

They are equally as safe in my opinion.

Probably not, because the amount of malware produced for windows is way greater than for linux systems, but you know, the biggest threat resides between the char and the keyboard, hehe.

k

Activity: 451

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:24:07 PM

Version 12.10 has spyware installed.
Any proof to back up that statement? Anyone trying to distribute spyware in a distro would also need to change a shedload of other software that can detect or report it's activity to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting away with it for more than a few days and any changes of that magnitude would soon be detected through digital fingerprints.

TL:DR Calling BS on that.

Could be referring to this https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
CryptoBadger

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 09:24:22 PM

The OS probably isn't as important as the user. =)

I wouldn't keep your wallet (at least, the wallet with the majority of your coins in it) on any computer that is connected to the internet. The best place for your wallet is offline - stored on a few USB keys in multiple locations. I wrote a guide on securing your wallet a few weeks ago:

http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/05/guide-bitcoin-wallet-security/
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:37:39 PM

Version 12.10 has spyware installed.
Any proof to back up that statement?

Things you searched for were sent to amazon un-encrypted.
This is public knowledge.

I prefer to call it adware because the purpose was to serve you advertisements but it was spyware.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:41:03 PM

Ha ha ha ha! Not even close.

I'm sorry but not only is windows closed source but academic studies have demonstrated that the linux kernel has far few bugs per line of code than Windows. Most security holes are the result of bugs.

The Red October malware network that went un-discovered for years. Was it open source or closed source vulnerabilities it exploited?

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:54:56 PM

And there is this: http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-waits-fix-software-bugs-nsa-them-first-140237627.html

fractalbc

Activity: 192

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:37:14 PM

Ubuntu server is more secure than ubuntu desktop which is more secure than windows.  But, the ease of use of an environment you know may outweigh any perceived improvement in security.

OSX has fewer reported vulnerabilities than windows and is easier for many to learn than ubuntu which is one of the easier linux distributions to use which may make OSX a better choice.
dbkeys

Activity: 484
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:15:01 AM

Any GNU/Linux OS will be much safer than Windows, but nothing is as safe as taking your wallet off-line. There are hardening scripts all over the net. In Ubuntu, the default firewall handling system is ufw https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/firewall.html. Other useful tools you might want to learn about are fail2ban and tripwire  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8758

DNS Seeder / Node Trackers
cardcomm

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:55:25 AM

the OS doesn't matter IMO. though Ubuntu may be safer than windows

what'ts more important is that you set up a decent wallet password and store it in the cloud like google drive or dropbox

ROFL! Nice! This may be the least secure way of storage possible.   Shocked

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
cardcomm

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:00:14 AM

I'm installing Ubuntu right now and seems much more aesthetic than i thought open source software should look like.  It looks like it has an apps store as well.  Which implies to me that the developers have some kind of monetary incentive.  Or is it much to do with nothing?  Or am i just paranoid? What do you think of Ubuntu? 

Secure than windows & mac : Yes
Most secure linux os: Not sure

More secure than Mac? Don't be too sure about it, Mac is actually very secure and I haven't read of someone being on Mac and getting bitcoin stolen.

Agreed, OS X itself is very secure. One COULD go even one step further. Storing one's offline wallet in an encrypted sparsebundle disk image using a complex password would be considered EXTREMELY secure.

In fact, the main "security" concern at that point would be to ensure proper offsite backup of the encrypted disk image.

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:04:49 AM

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but, if you want your machine to be more secure, don't install Java at all.  Not on your computer or the browser plugin, just don't have it on your computer, and if you do, don't go to random Bitcoin-related websites which ask you to activate a Java applet and then accept it without a second thought and come back and say something like "Oh noes my account is haxx0rd modz plz, plz mods plz"

nwbitcoin

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 08:09:01 AM

Ha ha ha ha! Not even close.

I'm sorry but not only is windows closed source but academic studies have demonstrated that the linux kernel has far few bugs per line of code than Windows. Most security holes are the result of bugs.

The Red October malware network that went un-discovered for years. Was it open source or closed source vulnerabilities it exploited?

And this is exactly why they are both as secure as each other!  Having more faith in something, because some academic told you its ok, is really bad practice! Wink

All the statements you made are discussing non technical issues. Licencing doesn't make something more secure, and its not the kernel we are discussing, but the whole package, including the apps that run on it. 

As an example, when you look for expolits in Linux, you check out things like Samba local root exploits, OpenSSH, SETI@home, ProFTPD, Apache etc for flaws to get in, you don't tend to check out the Linux kernel, even though that also has flaws.
When you look for Windows exploits, you would look for the same type of things, but its all under the banner of Windows, and so the myth of Windows being more insecure continues - even though it was only really true in the late 90s - remember the Netbios file share exploit? Wink

Any computer is secure if the user is proactive in maintaining security, and not clicking on stuff they don't fully trust! Smiley

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Bogdan

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:15:06 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but, if you want your machine to be more secure, don't install Java at all.  Not on your computer or the browser plugin, just don't have it on your computer, and if you do, don't go to random Bitcoin-related websites which ask you to activate a Java applet and then accept it without a second thought and come back and say something like "Oh noes my account is haxx0rd modz plz, plz mods plz"
This is a key to being secure, no java.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:59:29 AM

More secure than Mac? Don't be too sure about it, Mac is actually very secure and I haven't read of someone being on Mac and getting bitcoin stolen.
It does happen: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266813.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: