Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:37:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Linux Ubuntu the most secure OS to store my BTC on?  (Read 3046 times)
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:21:51 AM

More secure than Mac? Don't be too sure about it, Mac is actually very secure and I haven't read of someone being on Mac and getting bitcoin stolen.
It does happen: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266813.0

How does that show a weakness in the Operating System? That shows a weakness in social engineering, of here is an easy to use vanity generator but it is really a trojan.
He said he did not read about anyone getting BTC stolen on a Mac. I did not really follow the Win vs Mac vs Linux security discussion.
dbkeys

Activity: 485
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:25:07 PM

Linux Mint 13 - More stable, based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support).  I'm also more comfortable with the user interface in 13. The new Unity desktop and even the new Cinnamon are trying to to move too fast and incorporate too many changes from the tried and true IMO.

DNS Seeder / Node Trackers
OneMoreHuman

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 02:47:52 AM

In truth, no matter the track record of any OS, there is no way to be sure that it is secure unless all of its source code is available for review and improvement. So, personally I would recommend fully free (open source) operating systems like Debian, Trisquel, gNewSense, and Parabola.
If you use one of those, you can be sure that what you think the software is doing is actually what it is doing. Keep in mind that the web and bitcoin would not exist except for the philosophical innovations of the free software movement (especially GNU). Roll Eyes
batt01

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:19:52 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 03:33:03 AM by batt01

I used Ubuntu for several years, until they went with the Unity Desktop, which I hate.
If you are a Linux noob instead of of Ubuntu have a look at Linux Mint, which is still debian Ubuntu under the hood. Below is the list of distro I like for making the transition from Windoze.

Zorin OS (Debian)
http://zorin-os.com/
Manjaro (Arch)
http://manjaro.org/

I am running Manjaro on a VM and really liking it, but If you want have a more Windows like desktop Manjaro has a very simple clean UI and is very easy to use. I am anout to add it as a dual boot on my Windows PC. Zorin is the most polished of them all.

Running a live boot cd or a virtual machine to test various flavors of linux  is a very good idea. VirtualBox is a free program that is free and simple to use and try several distros, till you find one you like.

whiha

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:23:31 AM

Safer than Windows for sure
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:39:41 PM

Been using Lubuntu for 1 year and really enjoy this light-weight distribution.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:53:51 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but, if you want your machine to be more secure, don't install Java at all.  Not on your computer or the browser plugin, just don't have it on your computer, and if you do, don't go to random Bitcoin-related websites which ask you to activate a Java applet and then accept it without a second thought and come back and say something like "Oh noes my account is haxx0rd modz plz, plz mods plz"
Thanks for reminding me. I've been encountering less and less Java in browsing (maybe from change in browsing habits over the years). I think I can finally accept completely dumping it without exception.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:43:30 PM

Google uses Ubuntu on lots of their machines. But I think they do strip Ubuntu from stuff that connects online and use their own repositories and stuff like that.

There's a video on Youtube where some guy from Google talks about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3pT_9nb8o

I trust Ubuntu more than other distros simply because it's the most popular meaning more eyes watching the code for security issues. I only install LTS versions.

Ubuntu is like the Windows of the linux distributions.

I've been using Debian since before the inception of Ubuntu, stable as hell!

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:48:48 PM

no. Openbsd protected with laser-sharks, would be the most secure solution.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
dragon2

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:43:42 AM

Been using Lubuntu for 1 year and really enjoy this light-weight distribution.
Yep I use Lubuntu on an old PC and it just flies.
I'd recommend it to anyone with old and outdated machines.

Some more distros you could try on old PCs are Linux Mint LXDE edition and Slitaz.
I've tried every distro I've suggested and any of the above distros is secure and can make your old rigs fly!
r0xie

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 09:59:27 AM

I'm installing Ubuntu right now and seems much more aesthetic than i thought open source software should look like.  It looks like it has an apps store as well.  Which implies to me that the developers have some kind of monetary incentive.  Or is it much to do with nothing?  Or am i just paranoid? What do you think of Ubuntu?  

I think it is all about to boot a live untouched version of ANY OS without the Internet connection and to make cold wallet. Just make sure MD5 checksum of your live system matches (for paranoics).
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: