Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:32:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Chip Credits? Why?  (Read 1382 times)
AndyRossy (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:00:57 PM

What is the purpose of these?  Is it a promotional aid? e.g. they expected to sell at $50, so they price to $75, then give away effectively enough "coupons", such that their sale price is $50?  Or, are they really giving something back to the early orders - is it possible to get a Cash Alternative? Or, say use 3 coupons, such to get a free chip?
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:19:46 PM

What is the purpose of these?  Is it a promotional aid? e.g. they expected to sell at $50, so they price to $75, then give away effectively enough "coupons", such that their sale price is $50?  Or, are they really giving something back to the early orders - is it possible to get a Cash Alternative? Or, say use 3 coupons, such to get a free chip?

They tried to sell at $90 and couldn't. Then they tried to sell at $75. Then they added the coupon discount.
At $50, the economics are better but still pretty grim with 100 days of difficulty growth before the chips are delivered. Then a week or two for the boards to be populated and shipped.

I think you can only use 1 coupon per 1 chip.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
erschiessen

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:22:42 PM

I think that BFL believed that their chips would have been a bit more popular.

It is a way to drum up sales, and in all likelihood be profitable as well.

At $97 each, there is no way I was interested.
At $75, still 'nope'.
At $50, I would love to find someone willing to sell me their credits for $1 each. I would offer a group buy including shipping (N.America only) for <$60 each.
(if BFL would agree to 100% escrow like Kernel32's)

Even the "D" rated chips with 12 engines would be profitable at that price point for some time to come, I would think.

* just did some maths... they would still ROI in a month at 65M difficulty

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
newmars

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:25:55 PM

Will like this group buy

At $50, I would love to find someone willing to sell me their credits for $1 each. I would offer a group buy including shipping (N.America only) for <$60 each.
(if BFL would agree to 100% escrow like Kernel32's)

yachtsman

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:42:51 PM

https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/39347-bfl-customer-appreciation-chip-vouchers-4

Buy it Now on Bitmit for:
http://fizzisist.com/priceimg/img/20.00

Price listed is dynamic with gox price in usd.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:33:43 PM

What is the purpose of these?  Is it a promotional aid? e.g. they expected to sell at $50, so they price to $75, then give away effectively enough "coupons", such that their sale price is $50?  Or, are they really giving something back to the early orders - is it possible to get a Cash Alternative? Or, say use 3 coupons, such to get a free chip?
[speculation]

They gotta get rid of legal liability from non-delivery.

They also got to lower the bar in delivering thousands of 60Gh/s miners. Delivery of all those 60gh/s miners implies a huge cost at half the price. (1300USD vs 2500USD) It'll cost them a good chunk of change after all the screw up and extra bills they have incurred from redesign to redesign. Sending people 4 $ chips instead of their fully completed order saves them a ton of money.

They will turn a massive growing loss into a profit or at the very least a break even.

Parts and materials cost alot of money. They have the obligation to deliver these units at cost or above their cost.

So some scheming guy at BFL probably came up with the plan to simply lower the bar and cost of legal delivery of those units by asking customers if they want them converted to ASIC chips only. It is just chips! How cost effective is that?  Grin Cheesy

Now short sighted dummies are trading in completed miners for a 'bag o' chips'.
Thereby taking the obligation of BFL to deliver 60gh/s miners to simply sending them an incomplete unit with promises that someone else will do it.

LMAO. BFL, you have an awesome way of doing things.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:38:24 AM

PuertoLibre -

Maybe my reading skills are getting poor... but did the coupon say that this was as a replacement for functional miners? 

It seemed like the offer is a gravy add-on for the crazies... I mean fans... who have demonstrated commitment to the BFL product line. 

This wouldn't allow them to shirk their existing liabilities... in fact it would only add to the product liability (i.e. a functional miner AND chips).

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:19:15 AM

PuertoLibre -

Maybe my reading skills are getting poor... but did the coupon say that this was as a replacement for functional miners?  

It seemed like the offer is a gravy add-on for the crazies... I mean fans... who have demonstrated commitment to the BFL product line.  

This wouldn't allow them to shirk their existing liabilities... in fact it would only add to the product liability (i.e. a functional miner AND chips).

Am I mistaken in the understanding that the coupon(s) are to sweeten the deal (an add-on to the earlier offer) of early pre-order customer being offered the chance to convert their early pre-orders to chip deliveries?

If what you think is true, then there is no reason for BFL to give these perks for free.

Someone shine a light on it. I think our interpretation of this offer is out of whack.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:21:45 AM

Are BFL customers being offered a greater discount for a conversion of their pre-order?

Are BFL customers also offered a 25$ discount when they do convert their pre-order to a 'bag o' chips'?
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:29:56 AM

I don't think this is for a conversion.

I think their chip sales have been underwhelming so they are trying to kickstart the buying process.

By the look of the forum threads, it looks like there is a healthy trade going on now for the vouchers which will likely turn into sales of chips.
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:36:51 AM

Am I mistaken in the understanding that the coupon(s) are to sweeten the deal (an add-on to the earlier offer) of early pre-order customer being offered the chance to convert their early pre-orders to chip deliveries?

Yes you are. The discount coupons are a freebie for early pre-order customers. They can apply them towards buying chips if they want some, or sell them to other people to use to get discounted chips. Has nothing to do with converting an existing order into something else.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:43:16 AM

I'll buy your credits: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=235859.0
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:46:43 AM

Really its a smart plan on their side.  If they are able to... get bigger orders and get charged less.  Makes profits for them go up on units sold and also a bonus on sales of chips.   And even with coupon I'm willing to bet they are getting a big mark up on selling the chips.
Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:10:07 AM

To get more money from people.

They figured out that selling chips takes no effort on their part except shipping and reaping.

Or, /donsconspiracyhat, to keep them out of bankruptcy^_~

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: