Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:00:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoinHop.com Auction Site Hacked?  (Read 763 times)
mattboston (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 11:45:40 AM

There is a notice this morning saying the site has been hacked and they will not be returning. Anyone have any more details?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
static

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:49:12 PM

wtf is with all these people gettin hacked? are they scammin the bitcoins? all this shit is fishy.
noob_jul11

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:09:52 PM

IF it's in fact hacked, it's probably due to the fact that all these sites mushroom out of nowhere together with bitcoin bubbles and with no security whatsoever.

IF it's not actually hacked, it's probably a rip off by the site owner; get as much bitcoin and move on to next. IF you look at the forum for NEWBIES, you can in fact find alot of scam-like sites going on with 1 poster creating pyramid scheme. Then you have this site ... http://bitcoinx.com/profit/index.php that looks like a calculator; but it's selling t-shirts too. Which is fine; but, it doesn't look like he accepts bitcoins as payment for his tshirts.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:33:28 PM

I have run a few political websites and never worried too much about security because there was no money to be lost and if I was hacked I could just reload an old version and be fine.

I am a software engineer and IT guy so it is not like I do not know anything about computers. But one time my site got hacked and I could not figure out how they were getting in. I removed as many write/execute permissions as I could find, I deleted all files including hidden ones and restored old back ups checking through the latest files for anything suspicious.

I kept getting the same hacker over and over. I actually ended up using his hacker interface as an easier to use interface than my hosting service provided. My passwords were all changed and changed to over the top difficulty passwords. I scanned my own computer to make sure there were no viruses reading my keystrokes.

Either way, in the end I did not have time to fight a battle with some hacker just to put up a few political websites. I ended up finding a new hosting service (my hosting service kicked me out, blaming me for the hacker attack) and setting up some basic pages to cover the domain forwards.

I can see this scenario for a lot of start up bitcoin businesses. You get something running and you think you have everything fairly well secured, write permissions in the right places, difficult passwords, etc. But someone gets in who has a lot more time on their hands for such things than you do. Most people have lives and jobs outside of the websites they create on the side to make some extra coin.

Of course, if it is a full blown out business, then you should be living on your computer making sure that every aspect is covered.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
royalecraig

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 04:13:06 PM

I had a few things listed there for free so if it was a scam He / she never made anything from me, I would expect most listers also chose the free option too so I can't see anyone making much that way, would have been more profitable to spend the time setting up a real business, so, Maybe he was hacked and because he wasn't making much, decided it wasn't worth the effort getting back up and running.
Was quite a nice auction site, didn't seem as popular as http://bitcoinclassifieds.net but might have grown with time.
Wish hm well and hope he tries again, Bitcoin needs entrepreneurs, maybe Bitcoin could provide advice for those setting up online shops etc.

jstorm

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:29:59 PM

That classifieds site looks nice. Anyone have any luck using it?

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: