Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:23:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going to happen when we reach the 21 Million BTC supply limit?  (Read 1558 times)
mackenzie5

Activity: 156
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 10:57:58 AM

The bitcoins total mining limit is 21 million and after attaining the above  limit What is next that is what every bodies question about the market and the bitcoin .The answer is so simple that once the supply to the market is stopped what will happen to the market. according to the market theory the demand will increase so ultimately the price will be increasing. The entire mining process will be stopped and its price can be hiked.
jinxing

Activity: 276
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:05:16 AM

Hello,
I have several questions?
The maximum supply amount of bitcoins in circulation is 21 Millions.
The amount that are mined so far is more than 16 Millions (more than 79%)
What is going to happen when the 21 Million limit is close to be reached?
Since it going to be more and more difficult to mine bitcoins, does that mean that the price of a transaction is going to be extremely expensive?

Thanks for taking the time to answer :-D
in my opinion, yes. because with the reduced supply, the miner will decrease. and will cause the high price of the coin. we will not know when it will happen. but from now we start preparing it. and most likely the miner will switch to altcoin.
NewRanger

Activity: 1582
Merit: 333

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2018, 11:13:00 AM

Hello,
Since it going to be more and more difficult to mine bitcoins, does that mean that the price of a transaction is going to be extremely expensive?

in my opinion, yes. because with the reduced supply, the miner will decrease. and will cause the high price of the coin. we will not know when it will happen. but from now we start preparing it. and most likely the miner will switch to altcoin.
one thing for sure is the bitcoin price will be more expensive. circulating coins in the market will be increasingly rare. and this will people are reluctant to sell their bitcoin. except at a very expensive price.
Name: Claudio

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:14:40 AM

I think BTC will now be regulated for holders not to over price their coins,  as some coin will catch up soon, not totally equal price with Bitcoin but their progress will be fast and big since the main coin of all is now on its glory.

And of course before the bitcoin reach its limit mining will be hard, and will takes time to gain some points.
craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:20:59 AM

We really can't say for sure what will happen when the entire supply of 21 million runs out but using the law of supply and demand if supply ends and demands continues steadily or at a higher pace then that will mean that there will be an increase in price and value of bitcoin but I have seen some compelling arguments about the price crashing when supply runs out because there will no longer be miners to confirm transactions.
craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:24:28 AM

We really can't say for sure what will happen when the entire supply of 21 million runs out but using the law of supply and demand if supply ends and demands continues steadily or at a higher pace then that will mean that there will be an increase in price and value of bitcoin but I have seen some compelling arguments about the price crashing when supply runs out because there will no longer be miners to confirm transactions.
Morkhart

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 11:34:21 AM

When all bitcoins are mined, the price will be huge. So, now it's time to buy bitcoin. When the last bitcoin is mined, all bitcoin holders will be very rich. I at least believe that.
Spaffin

Activity: 1316
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 08:31:02 PM

If only one bitcoin existed from all the digital coins, then perhaps it would be so. After all 21 million bitcoins were mined, it could have grown in price because of the restriction of its supply in the market. However, even now there are a lot of good coins on the market with much better characteristics than bitcoins. It is unlikely that such a huge demand will be at bitcoin if at the same time there are a lot of crypto-currencies with a low price and no less promising ones.

FXBOX    [TelegramTwitter ]  ▞  GAMEFI  ◼  NFT  ◼  DEFI  ◼  CURRENCY TRADING
██████████████████  PLAY 2 EARN FINANCIAL GAMES  ██████████████████
INVESTINGTRADINGLOTTERYMARKET PREDICTIONS     ◖ READ MORE
Bitcoincole

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:47:21 PM

Hello,

one thing for sure is the bitcoin price will be more expensive. circulating coins in the market will be increasingly rare. and this will people are reluctant to sell their bitcoin. except at a very expensive price.

Circumstances will be like that, people will not sell reluctantly due to high price value that would circulates the markets. Otherwise they will shift to altcoin because altcoin is also be expensive once the bitcoin is rising, so it would be gratefull that you have both coins are holdings.
Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:58:37 PM

Well i don't think much will happens when we reach the 21 million supply mined, other than the price will start going up like crazy, everything will pretty much still stay the same, bitcoin does not go anywhere it stays in the network it just circulates it, probably the fact that it will reach that limit people will start holding it even more which will drive its price to some high prices for sure.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:01:39 PM

When all 21 million bitcoins are mined, I think that nothing significant will happen. It is unlikely that after this will significantly increase in price. By this time, it will already be a decent price, and if it does not have some exceptional functions by then, people will not buy it too much. What is the point of doing this, if we already have a lot of good crypto-currencies with qualities much greater than bitcoin and at the same time very low in price?
In addition, it should be borne in mind that the high cost of bitcoin will mean a high risk of investing, because given the high volatility of bitcoin, there will be a high risk of its depreciation due to negative information and the consequent panic of investors.
FUD is normal but that does not have anything to do with the supply limit. In this case, the only thing that would be affected is the incentive that is being given to the miners and in that case, the only thing left for miners is going to be the transaction fees.
High volatility is normal when you have a speculative asset, but as things change, bitcoin gets more adopted as currency, then we should not be experiencing much of that volatility in the long run.

I do not even think we should be worried about what is going to happen by then since a lot of us would have ceased to exist if not all of us. A lot of thing may still have changed by then and no one knows but in the real sense as things are presently, this is what would be expected and I believe even when this time comes, the demand for bitcoin would have really increased hugely than we can imagine that the value would have been crazily huge and maybe we would have started talking in satoshis by then than bitcoin.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
justin86

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:33:38 PM

Nothing is going to happen and you will probably not be able to see it not because of that you will not be alive but bitcoin will not reach 21M supply  Smiley

Tang lancip

Activity: 75

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 07:55:38 PM

In my opinion, the maximum number of bitcoin in circulation is 21 Millions. Each bitcoin can be divided by 8 decimal places, meaning that each bitcoin can be divided into 100,000,000 pieces. Each bitcoin unit, or 0.000000001 bitcoin, is called satoshi.
When the number of 21 million bitcoins will be achieved, it is likely to affect the rise in bitcoin prices.
green_fish

Activity: 153

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 10:35:24 AM

After the BTC has been fully excavated, the BTC investors still need to deal with each other, and the miners are required to mine the mine to ensure the normal operation of the whole BTC system!

The price of BTC will rise, and the transaction fee will be increased accordingly!

The miners continue their work!
darewaller

Activity: 2814
Merit: 634

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 06:22:23 PM

actually there is no problem when bitcoin is really exhausted, there are many currencies similar to bitcoin, although the value of the price is still superior but other currencies also can still offset the bitcoin price someday. and if we already have a lot of bitcoin, we can change it to another electronics currency, or can be said to move to another wallet, just keep in mind if bitcoin is almost a bit then the price will be more expensive. but we also do not know whether the bitcoin quotas will increase or not, what if the bitcoin quota will increase.
What are you changing to another currency ? It seems you do not understand the idea of deflation or what the Op was really asking. Once we reach the 21million supply, that is what is going to be in circulation, but we also have to consider the lost ones, so we should expect to see less in circulation. However, once all the bitcoin has been mined, we will get to see value playing out for bitcoin and this would depend on real usage as currency. However, in the real sense, nothing happens.
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:23:52 PM

When demand is high and quantity or supply is fixed then the price will start climbing gradually to the sky and it will kept on increasing to attain a stable value(volatility will decrease), but when we will going to achieve that stable value no one knows.
Many of us have a misconception that it will be end of bitcoin but in fact bitcoin will become more precious digital asset than it is now.
That is the point and that is what most people are not getting. Bitcoin is deflationary and once there is a real and huge demand for it, we would keep seeing the side where deflation surpasses inflation. In that case, when we have people using bitcoin for what it exactly is and when the supply has been fully mined, which is still a very long time and most of us would have been long gone by then, but in this case, there would have been a huge increase in demand and in value.
masterchief001

Activity: 585
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 04:08:50 PM

The total number of bitcoins available is only 21 million bitcoins. Bitcoin also falls into a certain scarcity. When we reach the BTC limit we can not dig a bitcoin for free. Particularly bitcoin prices will peak.
RAMZA

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 05:44:04 PM

It seems to me that bitcoin can switch to POS mining, as ETH wants. POW will no longer be relevant and too energy-consuming.
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 06:35:50 PM

Hello,

21 million should be reached in 2140. By then many things will be incomprehensibly different from todayso it's practically impossible to predict. Just imagine someone in 1880 trying to predict what will happen in 2030... Unless there is some groundbreaking invention which will enable people to live +200 years, you and all of us will be long gone by then.

I heard a documentation saying that its reached by 2040. My friends are saying that bitcoin will go to zero after it has received his supply limit. I think the price will be expensive.

Many people will hold it because it will be very difficult to obtain bitcoins.

You are literally just talking crap without knowing what you are even talking about.

The earliest estimations for when the final Bitcoin would be mined is in the early 2100's and most estimates put it sometimes between 2120-2150. Of course, it all depends on the amount of hash power and mining done. If governments and large corporations put more than was expected, it could be done sooner, but 2040 would be absolutely preposterous, not to mention BTC will never go to zero. There would always be someone who wants to buy it.
Probably we won't be alive to see that, the only scenario BTC will go to zero is if a fork happens and the winning chain will be the forked chain.
Anyway this 21M coins limit shouldn't fear users as it can be changed with enough consensus, I think it shouldn't be so hard.

By that time we are going to have a large amount of transactions going so the fees are going to be enough to cover the mining costs, it's too far to think about it but we should be okay considering the uptrend in the cryptocurrency users.
klasik1980

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 11:21:20 PM

Nothing. Life will continue as normal. At any rate, this isn't something that anyone need be concerned with during this century, as the last Bitcoin in existence will be mined in the year 2140, when both we, and our children, will have already ceased to exist. As for mining, I suppose all of it will be done exclusively for transaction fees.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: