Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:40:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the point with Bitmessage ?  (Read 579 times)
cryptofreak (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:02:33 AM

What is the usance of Bitmessage ?
It seems to me like Twitter. Doing the same what others already do just much worse.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:03:57 AM

yeah its a pain in the ass to use.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Jaxkr

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:05:15 AM

How dare you. Tongue

To the thread starter, Bitmessage is a decentralized messaging service, that allows users to send messages to one another. It's nothing like Twitter, except for broadcasts, which are similar to notification emails.
It's awesome because it can never be wiretapped or shut down.
cryptofreak (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:11:39 AM

How dare you. Tongue

To the thread starter, Bitmessage is a decentralized messaging service, that allows users to send messages to one another. It's nothing like Twitter, except for broadcasts, which are similar to notification emails.
It's awesome because it can never be wiretapped or shut down.
Thanks.
Torchat also cannot be wiretapped and can do anything what Bitmessage can but much faster and with less ressources.
Amphytrion

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:12:34 AM

It seems to me like Twitter. Doing the same what others already do just much worse.

From what I understand, there's magic going on behind the scenes that makes it trustless, you don't inherently trust any entity like  service providers (twitter, gmail, facebook) root certificate authorities.

So in time there will be nicer front ends, but the essential protocol itself I believe holds some appeal.
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:15:10 AM

From what I understand, there's magic going on behind the scenes that makes it trustless, you don't inherently trust any entity like  service providers (twitter, gmail, facebook) root certificate authorities.

So in time there will be nicer front ends, but the essential protocol itself I believe holds some appeal.

exactly. as soon as it has more features and is more bad ass looking and k3wl, then i will probably download it again. for instance, if you could send a bitmessage from your cellphone, i'd be all over that shit.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
guyver

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:15:57 AM

why use it then
Jaxkr

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:17:32 AM

why use it then
Anonymity and privacy.
Amphytrion

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:23:04 AM

why use it then

I guess the primary end-users of bitmessage would be those that have a need for secure communications.
r3wt

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:28:06 AM

why use it then

to avoid the prying eyes of PRISM, and the Multi-billion dollar spying companies that monitor you tv, internet, cellphone, and all other functions of your daily life.

larem

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:28:43 AM

why use it then

I guess the primary end-users of bitmessage would be those that have a need for secure communications.

Privacy is privacy. You don't have to do things that are wrong to need it. It should be a given right. Just like with my vehicle... I have nothing illegal in there, but that doesn't mean I will let any police officer that asks go through my car. Will he find something? No. But the principle is that he's invading privacy by doing so.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: