Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:51:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in Ubuntu's Software Center? (App Store)  (Read 1523 times)
Rocketfella (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:40:19 PM

Why is the bitcoin client not featured in Ubuntu's Software Center? (That's Ubuntu's Linux repository for free open source software and App Store for proprietary software that you have to pay for).

Linux users are not used to hunting down an app on the web and risking installing something bad, getting it from the trusted software center would be much better. Given that Bitcoin is open source it should be possible to publish it there for free.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:11:03 PM

Bitcoind will be in Ubuntu repos in the next version of Ubuntu (and have been in Debain for some time).
Bitcoin cannot be as it depends on wx 2.9 which is a development release and thus wont be committed to the repos.  Until we backport to wx2.8 or switch to qt, it wont happen.

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:28:32 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 05:44:02 PM by John Smith

Yep the Qt GUI could go into Debian/Ubuntu packages.

I might make a PPA later on...

Hmm does "app store" means I can charge coins for every download? :-)

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:23:55 PM

Ya, but "real money" only, not bitcoin. For bitcoin, you may ask them to donate in the description, then you can bypass the rules.
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:32:00 PM

Ya, but "real money" only, not bitcoin. For bitcoin, you may ask them to donate in the description, then you can bypass the rules.

Except for the fact that it wouldnt get accepted as its FLOSS software to begin with and they would just add the floss version instead of your version...

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:55:32 PM

FLOSS doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ask money for the binary version as long as the source is available... and people can always get the source off github, but so what, experience shows that most people go for convenience Smiley

Not that I'm seriously planning to do that. It was more of a joke, how would you pay bitcoins without the client? Tongue

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:15:26 PM

FLOSS doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ask money for the binary version as long as the source is available... and people can always get the source off github, but so what, experience shows that most people go for convenience Smiley

Not that I'm seriously planning to do that. It was more of a joke, how would you pay bitcoins without the client? Tongue

No, I know it was a joke, but it wouldnt make it into Ubuntu, someone would point out its FLOSS and it would be put in there for free instead.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:46:43 AM

Bitcoind will be in Ubuntu repos in the next version of Ubuntu (and have been in Debain for some time).
Bitcoin cannot be as it depends on wx 2.9

Does that mean the graphical code has already been separated from the core code, and we can build them separately now? I thought it was still one big chunk of non-modular code.
Damn, I thought I was following these forums, but I've been losing major things apparently...
Rocketfella (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 10:50:54 AM

Is it even allowed to charge for open source software in Ubuntu's Software Center? All the pay-for-it apps I found there were closed source.

Now that you mentioned it, it would be excellent if you could use Bitcoins to pay in Ubuntu's Software Center. I'm currently considering buying Braid, but I haven't found the time to figure out Ubuntu's payment methods. Also, I want to buy on the Android market using Bitcoins and I want a pony!
Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 11:32:08 AM

Does that mean the graphical code has already been separated from the core code, and we can build them separately now? I thought it was still one big chunk of non-modular code.
Damn, I thought I was following these forums, but I've been losing major things apparently...
Youve been able to do that for a long time.
Code:
make -f makefile.unix bitcoind

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:34:22 PM

Well, I know it's possible to build bitcoind alone. What I meant is if the bitcoind executable will contain useless GUI code or not... before, they were not separable, the core code from the graphical code. At least I remember reading this somewhere.
wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:42:59 PM

Well, I know it's possible to build bitcoind alone. What I meant is if the bitcoind executable will contain useless GUI code or not... before, they were not separable, the core code from the graphical code. At least I remember reading this somewhere.
The Wx GUI code is in two separate compilation units (ui.cpp, uibase.cpp). These are not linked when you make bitcoind.

The problem is the other way around; the GUI code has no model/view separation and contains all kind of implementation details.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: