Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:36:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: found old wallet, shows transactions totaling 80 million USD worth of bitcoin...  (Read 629 times)
secretbones (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:52:47 AM

So uh yeah, I mined bitcoin using 2 GPUs back in 2013-2014 and had lost the wallet until just recently.  I loaded up the wallet in bitcoin core (originally created the wallet in bitcoinQT) and it showed zero balance....but the weird thing is this:

* it showed transactions totalling around 15000 bitcoins spread out between 5 deposits into my wallet, which in and of itself is ridiculous but...
* whatever realistic amount I had in the wallet was not there.

Of course when I synced to the blockchain, the transactions remained unconfirmed and any blockchain txn search site ive used say the transactions dont exist..

my question are thus, though:  Why are those transactions there?  Why are they so inconceivably large?  What happened to whatever my original balance was?

Ive not transferred out of that wallet that i can remember and all the transactions in the log show deposits into my wallet.  Can these get corrupt and show weird data like this?  Is it maybe a version thing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 04:55:20 AM

So the transactions are still unconfirmed? If the block explorers aren't showing it, it's possible it was removed from the mempool after not confirming for a while. Could you post screenshots, or transaction links or links to the addresses?
secretbones (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:07:56 AM

here's one of the 5 transactions showing on the wallet

https://i.imgur.com/ySkvztG.jpg
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16633

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:32:35 AM

here's one of the 5 transactions showing on the wallet

On Feb 14, 2014, this was worth $2.2 million. That seems very unlikely for GPU mining in 2013-2014. It seems to me like some unconfirmed transactions are still showing up in your wallet, but never reached you.

my question are thus, though:  Why are those transactions there?  Why are they so inconceivably large?  What happened to whatever my original balance was?

Ive not transferred out of that wallet that i can remember and all the transactions in the log show deposits into my wallet.  Can these get corrupt and show weird data like this?  Is it maybe a version thing?
From this, we can only guess. I've seen more threads from people with old wallet.dat files and unconfirmed incoming transactions, but without the private keys to go to anything holding funds.
Can you export any private keys? (don't show them here of course!)

RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 01:33:55 PM

Yeah, they won't appear on the block explorers any more because they've been purged from the mempool. I'm not sure, but if Bitcoin core saves the full transaction you could re-broadcast it. However the chances that those specific inputs are still unspent is slim I would imagine, and it would have just as much trouble confirming today. Was this sent from the mining pool or an address you controlled?
secretbones (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:51:00 PM

From this, we can only guess. I've seen more threads from people with old wallet.dat files and unconfirmed incoming transactions, but without the private keys to go to anything holding funds.
Can you export any private keys? (don't show them here of course!)

Well, good news...I'm a crypto millionaire!

Just kidding, still not rich.  Anyway, the strange thing NOW is that I've gone back into that same wallet.dat in the same version of bitcoin core to try to export and now it's not showing anything in the transactions.  So either I was robbed of my nonexistent bitcoin or the client re-broadcasted the transactions, the blockchain saw they were erroneous and just axed them maybe?

I dunno man, this whole thing is strange.   No clue where those transactions came from but theyre not there now....

secretbones (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:10:19 PM

Yeah, they won't appear on the block explorers any more because they've been purged from the mempool. I'm not sure, but if Bitcoin core saves the full transaction you could re-broadcast it. However the chances that those specific inputs are still unspent is slim I would imagine, and it would have just as much trouble confirming today. Was this sent from the mining pool or an address you controlled?

I have no idea, I had the wallet address they came from (before everything just disappeared today) and just trying to google the address came up with nothing, not sure who would have deposited or tried to deposit it, unless it was the MTGOX hackers offloading it into the wrong wallet back in the day lol
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

So uh yeah, I mined bitcoin using 2 GPUs back in 2013-2014 and had lost the wallet until just recently.  I loaded up the wallet in bitcoin core (originally created the wallet in bitcoinQT) and it showed zero balance....but the weird thing is this:

* it showed transactions totalling around 15000 bitcoins spread out between 5 deposits into my wallet, which in and of itself is ridiculous but...
* whatever realistic amount I had in the wallet was not there.

Of course when I synced to the blockchain, the transactions remained unconfirmed and any blockchain txn search site ive used say the transactions dont exist..

my question are thus, though:  Why are those transactions there?  Why are they so inconceivably large?  What happened to whatever my original balance was?

Ive not transferred out of that wallet that i can remember and all the transactions in the log show deposits into my wallet.  Can these get corrupt and show weird data like this?  Is it maybe a version thing?

Okay, let's go step by step. I was mining GPU and yeah, 2013 wasn't much of a payout. Corrupted or version mismatch are likely answers to the puzzle. Save a good copy of the wallet.

With a test system, load the wallet you were using at that time. For 2013-1-1 it might have been 7.2

https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.7.2

All the old versions are available.

Next you have to get it to run and process the blockchain. Is this windows or what? You may have to use a similar OS version. Whatever, recreate the operational environment similar to back then.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: