Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:17:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we not change the name of the original Bitcoin?  (Read 910 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:54:02 PM

There's not name as perfect as "Bitcoin". Easy to remember and straight to the point.
Also very meaningful. It means "coin made by bits", it gets the idea of a very digital coin, the coin of the Internet.

No other cryptocoin has such a meaningful name... take Ethereum for example: what does this name mean? How can it be related to digital economy and online transactions?

Don't know about ethereum but it has alot more complex network. We are talking about cryptocurrency only meant for transactions, compared to a cryptocurrency/platform which can be used for alot of things. I think that Ethereum is alot more revolutionary rather than bitcoin because you can actually make usable development systems on it instead of just sending bitcoin.

fun fact: the original bitcoin software was not only meant for transactions. there was actually a poker client built into the software that was later removed.

i actually think the functionality of the blockchain conflicts with this idea that bitcoin is only for transactions. the transactions themselves are data propagated and stored on the most secure network in the world. that's perpetual storage for hashed/encrypted/compressed data, and it's still pretty cheap considering how low fees still are.

bitcoin will eventually allow more complex transactions like smart contracts. "simplicity" the smart contract coding language has been released, and rootstock (RSK) doesn't even require a fork to go into production. things just take a lot longer with bitcoin, because we don't "move fast and break things." that's what the ethereum guys do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kelvinid

Activity: 2800
Merit: 344

when lambo...

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:52:00 PM

There's not name as perfect as "Bitcoin". Easy to remember and straight to the point.
Also very meaningful. It means "coin made by bits", it gets the idea of a very digital coin, the coin of the Internet.

No other cryptocoin has such a meaningful name... take Ethereum for example: what does this name mean? How can it be related to digital economy and online transactions?
Right.Let's just leave bitcoin the way it is.It has been popular throughout the world and no other coin can ever replaced bitcoin except the word bitcoin itself.It may be short in word but what matters is the potentials within in a coin.Bitcoin has been so valuable to the people and has been a life-changer throughout the years.

freebitcoin       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▀█████
PLAY NOW
█████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████▀
Cloud27

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:42:54 AM

For me the single word Bitcoin is a clear distinction of the first and the original Bitcoin name. If any word added to bitcoin will be used as an indicator that the new coin with the added word from bitcoin is a fork from bitcoin or it will be the basis for bitcoin user that a new coin is an alternative coin. I experienced the technical impact of bitcoin forking what more the technical impact of changing the name of Bitcoin. If that happens we are at the mercy of our wallet provider on what technical steps to be done to secure our Bitcoin to become Bitcoin Original.
zeaderza

Activity: 896
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:32:02 PM

We have seen a lot of Bitcoin forks with the Bitcoin name being used to piggy back on it's popularity. These coins market themselves with supposed superior brands and names like Bitcoin Gold and Bitcoin Cash.

These names might become confusing with every new fork, because we will soon see forks like Bitcoin Platinum and Bitcoin Ultimate.

Why should we not officially rename Bitcoin <BTC> to Bitcoin Original for people to make a clear distinction between the original Bitcoin and the rest? New investors might buy one of these Alt coins, mistaking it for the original/legacy coin?

Just a thought. What would the technical implications be? What needs to change? ^smile^

I think it is not a good idea to rename or change the original name of bitcoins. This may cause confusion on current and and incoming users because of the sudden change. The name with only "Bitcoin" was already been established as the first(as my opinion only) one without any additional name connected to the original word thus making it the pioneer and being the name that was used being the one familiar with people.
Yes this is a great idea indeed. Because in the international market along with the original cryptocurrency, there are a lot many other options available in the form of altcoins that have quite a similar name such as the bitcoins . This is nothing but to deceive people for using other cryptocurrencies with lower market price and it is actually working to our surprise.

The choice of a standard name needs as such no implications but the bitcoin community to get at the same page so that the ideas could be put into practical use.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:08:14 AM

OMG! Why do we have to change the name? For me, there is no problem with Bitcoin name, and I think it is the same with others.
Yes the bitcoin is the best name of the bitcoin and this is the reason why the people why want to change the name I hope the bitcoin will give the chance to the people to buy the bitcoin and to increase the profit in the bitcoin I can see how the bitcoin is giving the profit and the income of the bitcoin will give the profit at the same time I can see how the bitcoin is giving the chance for the people for all.
Nawaytes

Activity: 476
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:46:16 AM

I dont think it's important to do, the investors will do some research before spend their money to invest and i'm sure they will found the original bitcoin. Look at the BTC, BCH and BTG price now and we can see the price difference is too far. The investors will know what coins they should choose from the price only.
dali_masmoudi

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:51:54 AM

For me, I see that this name "Bitcoin" is really original and innovative !
Because it perfect to be commercialized and promoted in all over the world -like the case nowadays, there is nobody who did not hear about it-.
But I think that it must have copyrights for the name because many have confusions about different cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin cash, e-Bitcoin, etc ...
raymart0720

Activity: 322
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:26:51 PM

We have seen a lot of Bitcoin forks with the Bitcoin name being used to piggy back on it's popularity. These coins market themselves with supposed superior brands and names like Bitcoin Gold and Bitcoin Cash.

These names might become confusing with every new fork, because we will soon see forks like Bitcoin Platinum and Bitcoin Ultimate.

Why should we not officially rename Bitcoin <BTC> to Bitcoin Original for people to make a clear distinction between the original Bitcoin and the rest? New investors might buy one of these Alt coins, mistaking it for the original/legacy coin?

Just a thought. What would the technical implications be? What needs to change? ^smile^
you are true that it is confusing me too there are many of coins tokens and altcoin with nearly same names.
name bitcoin is is like the founders edition which are now well known and serves as basis hehehehhe
and naming such a things is depend on the person if he/she wants that acronym then he / she freely to use it.

thienlonghue

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 03:58:57 PM

As we know, Bitcoin is a open source blockchain, every bitcoin holder has the right to change its source. so, if you want to change the name of bitcoin, you need at least 50% of the system agree with you. And if not, a hard fork will happen.

▄                  ▀▄███▀▄       ★ ★ ★ ★ ★       B i s t r o o . i o       ★ ★ ★ ★ ★       ▄▀███▄▀                  ▄
▄                 Bistroo gives control back to business owners and consumers                 ▄
▄              |     Whitepaper     |        Twitter        |      Telegram      |    ANN Thread    |              ▄
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: