Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:56:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PWC is killed by 51% attack  (Read 4328 times)
btcrich (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:22:04 PM

This explains more than all coins in existence being traded in the last two days!  PWC got killed and apparently more to follow.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236498.0
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 02:26:40 PM

Well yeah that is the whole problem with blockchains, they are insanely expensive to secure.

Even with merged mining it isn't easy, without merged mining the total hashing power available gets divided too thin (so they are all jokes) or the vast majority of scamcoins are just jokes, playthings for anyone to attack at will, because only one or maybe two have enough hashpower to temporarily resist attack (until some profitability site claims some other coin is more profitable so the miners leave it to be attacked while they follow the myth of higher profits, a myth that is probably already out of date by the time they see it on a website).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
shaunb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:44:34 PM

Lol.  He has over 500,000 PWC in his wallet.

He's claiming to have more than enough hashing power than needed to 51% DGC.  Will be interesting to see what happens - but I see exchanges going bust very quickly with this going on!
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:48:37 PM

Say bye bye to normal miners. I have not mined shit because honestly a person with only one card aint gonna waste the time to get a return of 30 bucks a month.

Then cryptos stall. Enjoy your circle jerk trading among yourselves.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:51:19 PM

Lol.  He has over 500,000 PWC in his wallet.

He's claiming to have more than enough hashing power than needed to 51% DGC.  Will be interesting to see what happens - but I see exchanges going bust very quickly with this going on!

I'm all for it.  I support his position but not for his reason.  His actions will weed out the weaker coins and developers.  Hazard coins will be wiped out because the developers are not skilled enough to manage their coins.  The rest will implement merge mining to secure their networks.  DGC and ARG are already implementing this.  So all in all he's making the alt network better.

He probably thinks that the recent LTC weakness is due to the alts and it clueless that its ASIC owners dumping BTC/LTC to get their hardware investment back.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 03:15:46 PM

Say bye bye to normal miners. I have not mined shit because honestly a person with only one card aint gonna waste the time to get a return of 30 bucks a month.

+1 to that , and now there is a wave of alternatives coming that are not  even in the ballpark , I.e don't even work from gpu but can't be bot'd .

These idiots either have no interest in crypto or are just pee brains planning to sell out asap . Question is idiot's how long will you hold for , until you figure out what you are hold is FUD ?

Having said that if they can do it I'm sure they will its in human nature , and it helps the whole evolution , so just as we need maggots , we kinda need these guys to keep the ecosystems working.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
naphto

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:24:54 PM

Altcoin = scam.

Only BTC and LTC might (eventually) not fail (for a short period of time)
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:28:24 PM

Altcoin = scam.

lol, lot of asterisk comments there fanboy.
nearmiss

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:29:26 PM

Altcoin = scam.

So BTC and LTC is as good as we are ever going to get?  No more innovation in the crypto-world?  That is kind of depressing.

Profit-Switching Pool w/ Vardiff -> http://hashco.ws  Optionally keep the alts we mine or auto-trade for BTC. In addition can be paid out in any of: 365, AC, BC,  BTC, C2, CINNI, COMM, FAC, HBN, MINT, PMC, QRK, RDD, WC, XBC
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 03:35:14 PM

Brewcrew all that will happen is the market  will split , individual with smaller interests will trend towards new innovations , if they stay in the Cryptocurrency game , the large investors will be taking more and more risk , as the individuals seek to find an equitable base .

I tried to explain this to the FPGA guys , not because I'm anti FPGA , but because I explained that with scrypt the lead time to ROI on an FPGA is going to be so much longer the risk is higher anyhow .

Then add to that this vector , I explained simply that C code or any variant can evolve faster than hardware.

I have seemed to be proven correct .

So this guy is heavily invested in gpu , I dont buy the botnet crap , if POW goes out , so goes that investment .

And how will anyone know ?none of it will be developed on this forum ?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

I could easily solo 51% PXC and FRK right now but why bother.  The cost to do so would be high, not just in the electrical expense but the opportunity cost as I'm not mining at the time of the attack.  Have you seen the order books on those 2 coins.  There's a few hundred dollars in BTC there.  I'm pulling that a day.  So really the effort is not there. 

But there it is the balance.  Risk vs. reward.  People are risking more but in smaller amounts for coins that have low network hash rates.  as you climb up the alt coin ladder you see the valuations increase with hashrate. 
shaunb

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:49:15 PM

Cryptsy has stopped trading PWC...  Shocked
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:53:56 PM

we could learn from this to further the safety of other coins - namely BTC, LTC and PPC, which are so far only currencies which make any sense
Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:48:18 PM

Anyone feel the POWERRRR yet?

Haha NWO, serves you right.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:00:41 PM

yeah , ah power hmm , what was the hash rate? -

couldn't pull off an attack on FTC something called (Feathercoin),

had to go for something like this.

kind of like beating up on the fat retarded kid then posting it on Facebook , and telling people you are though.

like i said, we need maggots,  we need you guys as well.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
CaptainPicard

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:52:34 PM

WTF.

Anyone wanna buy ~150k PWC cheap?  Roll Eyes
anderl

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:54:08 PM

WTF.

as feathercoin proved, you can have a 51% attack and still come back.
CaptainPicard

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:02:41 PM

WTF.

The attacker of FTC didn't accumulate almost 50% of all coins in existence during their attack though.  This guy got ~540k PWC
Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:04:51 PM

>implying PWC was ever at any good 'stage' l it can 'come back' to

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
arlington

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:11:50 PM

Is PWC killed? I just sync'd my PWC wallet, and it is in sync with 29945 blocks downloaded, there's no issues at all. All my previous transactions are there, and balance is intact.

So it does not look to be that it is killed.

And I can see people still mine it, no problem at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: