Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:20:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are my Bitcoins lost?  (Read 1770 times)
brudog (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:22:01 PM

Yesterday I did a big dummy.

My PC has windows 8 and I've been having trouble with it so I decided to re-install it. I didn't think about my wallet which was a new wallet, but the day before I

transferred my almost 10 bitcoins from another PC to this wallet. It had never been backed up.

I have been reading and went to windows.old, found bitcoin QT and started it. when it finished loading all I got was an empty wallet. I've tried to load wallet.dat

and still get a new,empty bitcoin wallet.

I have the bitcoin address from the old wallet when I sent the bitcoins. Is there a way to use that address to recover those bitcoins?

Any help would be appreciated, this just devastates me, I've always been careful with my coins...must be getting old, brain farts and all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 03:26:49 PM

You have had a 10 BTC wallet and never backed it up?

Well - for your sake I hope you do have a backup which maybe you've missed (scan for wallet.dat files for a start) - but if you really didn't keep a backup and have lost the wallet then I am sorry to say that your BTC has "gone to Satoshi".

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:45:30 PM

I have read people say all you need is an address to use your bitcoins, is there a place to find transactions with the address the coins were sent to?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

The address that BTC was sent to is not going to help you as you need the "private keys" (which is what your wallet *holds* for you).

Without the private keys you will not be able to recover any BTC.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:11:13 PM

I have read people say all you need is an address to use your bitcoins, is there a place to find transactions with the address the coins were sent to?

No. You need your private key to use the bitcoins.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:15:38 PM

I have been reading and went to windows.old, found bitcoin QT and started it. when it finished loading all I got was an empty wallet. I've tried to load wallet.dat

I don't use windows since years, but this "windows.old" makes me wonder: does it mean windows did a backup of some files itself?
I suspect it has just moved the old stuff to a folder "windows.old", and bitcoin-qt does not find it so it creates a new wallet. If this is the case you just need to start bitcoin-qt and indicate the location of your old data directory with "-datadir".

Don't want to insist on your avoidable loss, but it might be useful for others so I'll say it anyway: never send funds to a wallet that has not been backed-up prior to the transfer. Don't even wait for the funds to appear to back it up.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:25:48 PM

Yesterday I did a big dummy.

My PC has windows 8 and I've been having trouble with it so I decided to re-install it. I didn't think about my wallet which was a new wallet, but the day before I

transferred my almost 10 bitcoins from another PC to this wallet. It had never been backed up.

and still get a new,empty bitcoin wallet.
No, you don't start bitcoin from windows.old. The install location is not where the wallet is stored. You have to go to "X:\windows.old\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin", and find the "wallet.dat". Then you copy it to "%appdata%\bitcoin\" and open bitcoin-qt.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:05:43 PM

Ok I found C:\windows.old\Users\my user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin  I see the wallet.dat file where do I find %appdata% to copy it to?
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:16:56 PM

Ok I found C:\windows.old\Users\my user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin  I see the wallet.dat file where do I find %appdata% to copy it to?

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin?
Alternatively, start bitcoin-qt with "-datadir C:\windows.old\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin".
Given the type of question you ask, I advise you to use an online wallet. Likely you will make a mistake again if you keep dealing locally, all by yourself, with 10BTC.

brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:43:27 PM

Tried that but datadir C:\windows.old\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin but it wont open. I think I may have shot myself in the foot because when I started

I opened windows.old, users, then I may have unzipped the bitcoin 8.1 which asks to overwrite files.

I have several rigs mining and the one I had the wallet with the bitcoins I had to work on, so I always? send the bitcoins to one of my other rigs wallets. Well I forgot

(was pissed) after the 2 hours of crap I just finished, this PC started freezing up again, so I through in the disc and....Oh well, a learning experience I didn't need. 10

bitcoins is not a deadly loss to me, but it really sucks. I know better
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:08:45 PM

I opened windows.old, users, then I may have unzipped the bitcoin 8.1 which asks to overwrite files.

This must be the binary files of bitcoin-qt. The wallet is in a different place, there is no reason the old one was overwritten unless you did it yourself.
Just do what grue suggested, take the old wallet.dat file, move it to the new location (NOT the one of bitcoin-qt), that's all you need to do to get your 10BTC. If you really don't care, well do it and send them to me  Wink

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:12:17 PM

Tried that but datadir C:\windows.old\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin but it wont open. I think I may have shot myself in the foot because when I started

I have several rigs mining and the one I had the wallet with the bitcoins I had to work on, so I always? send the bitcoins to one of my other rigs wallets. Well I forgot

(was pissed) after the 2 hours of crap I just finished, this PC started freezing up again, so I through in the disc and....Oh well, a learning experience I didn't need. 10

bitcoins is not a deadly loss to me, but it really sucks. I know better

Did you change "your user name" to your actual user name?  Or make a backup of that wallet.dat you found in the windows.old and copy it to your new appdata folder.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:13:30 PM

I still don't know what %appdata%\bitcoin means or where to find it...
brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:22:42 PM

I did change the user name on the new install, but after I signed in to microcrap it changed to the old user name. The windows.old users has the old user name with it.

Windows 8 sucks, I've had freezing issues since I installed it. should have just stuck with 7. If anyone wants to try to find them I can work out a deal. I dont know how to

connect with anyone on here
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:28:40 PM

Hit Windows-Key r
Type cmd in the box.  Hit enter.
type:

copy %appdata%\Bitcoin\wallet.dat %appdata%\Bitcoin\wallet.dat.bak
copy C:\windows.old\Users\my user name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\wallet.dat %appdata%\Bitcoin\wallet.dat

replace "my user name" with your old user name
Then run the bitcoin-qt program normally

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:57:19 PM

I did the cmd when I entered both of those lines they opened Bitcoin-qt which has 0 bitcoins and is new. They're gone aren't they?
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:04:28 PM

Rerun bitcoin-qt with the following parameter "-rescan"

brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:18:54 PM

I dont know how to 

whre do I put -rescan?
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

I dont know how to 

whre do I put -rescan?

Press Windows-Key r

Then write "C:\<all the path to bitcoin-qt> -rescan" and press enter.
To find out what is the path to bitcoin-qt if you don't know it, you can right click on the bitcoin-qt executable and select "properties".

All this from memory, I don't use windows anymore since almost a decade.  Smiley

brudog (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:34:20 PM

That didn't work, cant find file. I noticed the bitcoin file in windows.old is dated 6/17/2013. I did the re-instal of windows yesterday
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: