Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:17:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake vs. Proof of Work  (Read 248 times)
bennybeezy (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:14:02 PM

I've been coming across the term Proof of Stake quite often as of late. ETH is going in that direction. What are the advantages and disadvantages of POS vs. POW?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eatbatterys

Activity: 406
Merit: 170

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:37:24 PM

I've been coming across the term Proof of Stake quite often as of late. ETH is going in that direction. What are the advantages and disadvantages of POS vs. POW?

There are a few different ways of looking at it.

Proof of Work gives people with mining hardware a fairer chance at collecting whatever coin they're mining whereas Proof of Stake provides additional coins for those that already hold them.

Advantages of PoS is that it effectively eliminates electricity usage because you're no longer having to power hardware to mine. Disadvantages is that you have to buy into whatever coin you're trying to accumulate if you're planning on accumulating more via PoS.

There's no perfect in between. PoW is going to have mining farms driving difficulty up and profitability down for the Average Joe and PoS is going to result in wealth accumulation more for the already wealthy than it will for the Average Joe, but at least they won't have to purchase hardware and pay higher electricity bills to be able to do so.
asayoyaasa
Copper Member

Activity: 648
Merit: 159

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 08:23:02 PM

ill go with PoS, cause that mean we can saving more power there no need to buy any of high price hardware and pay for the electricity and a safer network as attacks become more expensive: if a hacker would like to buy 51% of the total number of coins, the market reacts by fast price appreciation. But yeah there something i dont like, rich ppl can have more coin than small player  Cry

This is my main account. My alt account for bounty report in the future >> asa crypto info
Eatbatterys

Activity: 406
Merit: 170

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:28:31 PM

ill go with PoS, cause that mean we can saving more power there no need to buy any of high price hardware and pay for the electricity and a safer network as attacks become more expensive: if a hacker would like to buy 51% of the total number of coins, the market reacts by fast price appreciation. But yeah there something i dont like, rich ppl can have more coin than small player  Cry

That's just how the world works. You have to spend money to make money. In this case, people with more money are able to acquire more mining hardware or more coins than you are.
ColdZerk

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:41:46 PM

The more ETH you have - the more ETH you will earn.
But firstly u need ~1000 ETH...

POS is good way to stop feed miners.
JaredStein

Activity: 379
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:00:50 PM

Proof of Stake is a centralized way to secure your network. Proof of Work is a decentralized way to secure your network, and actually requires real work, real energy, put into it and this is what secures the Bitcoin network and makes it so hard to change. You have to change the cumulative proof of work behind the Bitcoin blockchain in order to make any changes to the consensus rules.
Crypto4K
Copper Member

Activity: 247
Merit: 12

decentralize money

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:37:05 PM

Proof of Stake is a centralized way to secure your network. Proof of Work is a decentralized way to secure your network, and actually requires real work, real energy, put into it and this is what secures the Bitcoin network and makes it so hard to change. You have to change the cumulative proof of work behind the Bitcoin blockchain in order to make any changes to the consensus rules.

Can't PoS be decentralized as well? What about the method Gridcoin is using? (Proof of Research)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: