Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:59:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: single BFL chip USB Miner idea (evolved to Furby)  (Read 1504 times)
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:37:01 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 05:33:28 AM by CanaryInTheMine

do you think it's possible to design a USB miner based on a single BFL chip where the USB stick has 2 ports at both ends.
one plugs into a USB port, draws some amount of power and is used for communication, the other end of the USB is plugged into a second, separate USB port via a short USB extension cable.  can additional power be delivered from the second USB connection to provide enough power to the chip?
so it would look like a USB stick but with a USB plug at both ends...
possible? or am i asking a dumb question?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
danattacker

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:46:06 AM

Doesn't a single BFL chip still draw more power than two USB ports combined (bus powered)? I think a Jalapeno with 2 chips draws like 30w and 2 USB ports is only 5w of power.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:47:38 AM

Each BFL chip draws about 14watts in the Jalapeno, as several people have measured.

So you would need 6 USB ports to run one chip.

CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:11:39 AM

OK, so it's a dumb idea... nevermind.

what about other interfaces, do any deliver required power for a single chip? POE? firewire maybe?

I hate external power supplies...
kev7112001

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:18:20 AM

what about other interfaces, do any deliver required power for a single chip? POE? firewire maybe?

dumb idea from a dumb weak as person

MCXNOW MODERATOR
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:25:26 AM

Not at all a dumb idea. The jalapeños are still using first gen chips, 2 of them and a PCB build for originally up to 8 chips.

According to the power spec for the new chips is a power consumption of 3.2 w per GH. This may not be 'USB only' territory but I think a small 1-chip design could still be an interesting proposition for 4 gh/s single chip miners.
TheSwede75

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:26:15 AM

You sure seem like quite the douchebag.
kev7112001

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:28:42 AM

You sure seem like quite the douchebag.
only to people that pissed me off talking shit

MCXNOW MODERATOR
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:32:50 AM

Not at all a dumb idea. The jalapeños are still using first gen chips, 2 of them and a PCB build for originally up to 8 chips.

According to the power spec for the new chips is a power consumption of 3.2 w per GH. This may not be 'USB only' territory but I think a small 1-chip design could still be an interesting proposition for 4 gh/s single chip miners.
so 3.2 *4 = 12.8W, POE is good for 31.6 W i think, so we can have an 8GH/s device designed using 2 chips that can connect to POE....
Hmmmm, i call it "Furby"... cause they would mysteriously fill up all IT closets and all available POE ports on network switches...

anyone want to take this Furby design up?  what would motivate you?
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:37:46 AM

so 3.2 *4 = 12.8W, POE is good for 31.6 W i think, so we can have an 8GH/s device designed using 2 chips that can connect to POE....
Hmmmm, i call it "Furby"... cause they would mysteriously fill up all IT closets and all available POE ports on network switches...

Would it have fur, a beak, and glossy, soul-less eyes? If so, count me in!
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:38:59 AM

Would it have fur, a beak, and glossy, soul-less eyes? If so, count me in!
the next, must have toy for Christmas... LOL
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:31:25 AM

You do know it will be big right? 30W to cool is not easy for small device... So go back to 1 chip... And even 12 W passively is not that small... Now you need chip that can handle network, mining, basic web interface and controlling the chips... It is not something you can do in 100 days unless you are talking of a big team...
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:33:29 AM

How about trying to use bitfurys chips instead? I think with a single chip, <2.5W power drawing (USB gives 2.5W max) you can get atleast 1.5 GH.

CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:16:09 PM

How about trying to use bitfurys chips instead? I think with a single chip, <2.5W power drawing (USB gives 2.5W max) you can get atleast 1.5 GH.
that could be an alternative, but are they shipping to US yet??
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:17:40 PM

What BFL chips?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:44:43 PM

What BFL chips?

^This.

And BFL already tried this with the Jalapeno and they had completely change the case from their designs. The chips just create way too much heat. So you need a big heat sink with a big fan which means a case roughly the size of the actual Jalapeno. At that point, you may as well use the Jala board and only put one chip in it.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
TheSwede75

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:56:12 PM

Bitfury USB miners would be a MUCH better option then BFL when it comes to single-chip 'Block Eruptor' style miners. You can buy chips here: https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

With the possible undervolt, and already cool running temp of the chips and the fact that a single USB port could power a chip @ around 2.2 GH/s I for one would be interested in someone wanted to design a single chip miner.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:10:25 PM

Try here: https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=33

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: