Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:48:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: B2X Hard Fork  (Read 424 times)
depth10 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:43:56 AM

I've been reading about the imminent hard fork between BTC and the new Segwit2X (B2X).   My question is, if I have 1BTC in my wallet before the hard fork, then after the hard fork I will have 1BTC + 1B2X.  However, using a wallet such as Exodus (software) or Ledger (hardware), how would I access the forked coins?  Do I have to wait until the developers release updates that recognize the new forked coins?

Am I looking at this wrong?  I've heard that the safest way to ensure you retain your funds during a fork is keep control of your own private keys (which I do).  But, has anyone experienced a prior hard fork, and how do you "access" the new forked coins using their private keys?

Thanks guy
IamHigh

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:50:05 AM

I've been reading about the imminent hard fork between BTC and the new Segwit2X (B2X).   My question is, if I have 1BTC in my wallet before the hard fork, then after the hard fork I will have 1BTC + 1B2X.  However, using a wallet such as Exodus (software) or Ledger (hardware), how would I access the forked coins?  Do I have to wait until the developers release updates that recognize the new forked coins?

Am I looking at this wrong?  I've heard that the safest way to ensure you retain your funds during a fork is keep control of your own private keys (which I do).  But, has anyone experienced a prior hard fork, and how do you "access" the new forked coins using their private keys?

Thanks guy

The ratio for this will be equivalent which means if you have X unit of BTC before hard fork, you'll have X unit of B2X after hard fork. Ledger BTC wallet is okay for this. But if you're storing your BTC on exchanges, you may not be in the safe side, so careful for this.
benalexis12

Activity: 854
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 12:59:52 AM

Just buy bitcoin and hold it one exchange you'll get the same bitcoin price 1:1 and consider it as a free money. their will be upcoming project of this fork hope you follow their development

illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:19:27 AM

Thanks guy

Since there is no replay protection, you need to be very careful trying to access the forked coins. If you try to send on one of the chains, the transaction will be broadcast on both chains. It's prudent to wait for a good tutorial on how to split coins after the fork, or to wait for a reliable service that can split coins for you. Ledger seems to be ahead of the others in working to provide easy access to the B2X coins, but it's too early to say if the release will be done in time for the fork.

In other hard forks, this isn't such a big issue because they added replay protection. With Bitcoin Cash, for example, you could send legacy coins, then import the old (empty) private key into a BCH wallet to access the BCH. You can't do that here.
sky2moon

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:24:39 AM

Where to store btc at the safe place ?
If keep at exchange will safe?
Any recommendations??
Thanks

SGToken

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:26:44 AM

I believe before the fork starts, major exchanges will support both coins.
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:32:39 AM

Any recommendations??
Thanks

It's hard to say. For one thing, it's inherently dangerous to trust exchanges to employ proper replay protection. Since it wasn't done at the protocol level, each custodian needs to code their own internal protection. If their engineers screw up, lots of coins (BTC, B2X or both) could be lost. I would not take this for granted.

If you want access to your B2X coins, don't keep your BTC on Bitmex. They will not be crediting users B2X at all. I would also avoid Coinbase. Even though they say they will be fully operational within a few days (with functioning deposits on both chains), I don't think we can trust their word. It took them months with ETC and BCH.

I'm still holding out hope that replay protection will be merged into the BTC1 repo before the fork. But that's probably unlikely.
sky2moon

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:37:46 AM

Any recommendations??
Thanks

It's hard to say. For one thing, it's inherently dangerous to trust exchanges to employ proper replay protection. Since it wasn't done at the protocol level, each custodian needs to code their own internal protection. If their engineers screw up, lots of coins (BTC, B2X or both) could be lost. I would not take this for granted.

If you want access to your B2X coins, don't keep your BTC on Bitmex. They will not be crediting users B2X at all. I would also avoid Coinbase. Even though they say they will be fully operational within a few days (with functioning deposits on both chains), I don't think we can trust their word. It took them months with ETC and BCH.

I'm still holding out hope that replay protection will be merged into the BTC1 repo before the fork. But that's probably unlikely.

Thanks for the info...
How abt bitfinex and bittrex?

leojust

Activity: 34

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:51:46 AM

This is going to be messy. 

If Bitcoin sneezes the Alts catch a Cold, now Bitcoin is going in for Open Heart Surgery, one can only imagine the affect on Alts.   Cry
louisMTV

Activity: 83

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:58:17 AM

Dont know whats going be the end so find some coin to be safe!
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 02:08:31 AM

Thanks guy
Please if you are feeling really difficult to claim the b2x through the wallet that will have supported the fork and you just send your bitcoin into the exchange site that will be supported the bitcoinfork and you will be able to get your b2x instantly and the best thing to keep your b2x in the exchange site and you are able to sell them all at the high price. Because the netwoek will not alive after the fork will have done. and that will take the more time.
depth10 (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:02:14 AM

Two conflicting perspectives:

1. keep your private keys, aka take your BTC off the exchange and into your own wallet.
2. keep your BTC on the exchange for quick conversion

Surely #2 is naive and full of trust...how much trust can you have in a domain name supported by developers who--in the end--are just out there to make the company more profitable. 
Crypington

Activity: 210
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:08:11 AM

For exodus, shortly after the Bitcoin cash fork they released an update that allowed you to claim and send your Bitcoin Cash to a Bitcoin Cash Wallet.  I'm not entirely sure, but they may do the same for B2X. 

If not, you can export your Bitcoin private key through Exodus and import them into a B2X wallet, and claim your B2X that way.  It's a little dangerous to use your private keys ... There will be fake wallets and people trying to steal your Bitcoin private keys with fake advise and phishing ....

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
SerenW

Activity: 169
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:27:41 AM

Thanks guy

I kept my btc in bittrex exchange before the fork, and they credited me with BCH when the fork actually happened. It's simple. But make sure to sell the new fork coin on time, because usually it dips right after the exchanges issues the coins.

BTC: bc1qky6p6aptuqcha650dclqhs0k4pawrqc7g0zhz8
ETH: 0x7407Ee8B6cFED6E1cabd67dC91D23D9DB5D7e801
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: