Author Topic: Éire  (Read 10131 times)
bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 01:22:17 PM

BUMP!

Just wondering if the number of coiners from our wee island has gone up or down Smiley

Chime in if you see this and your mining or spending BTC from ireland.

I know i helped a few miners in my city and told a countless amount about bitcoin, so funny explaining that its a digital currency and then pulling out a casascius coin lol. Talk about fucking with someones mind!

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cianuro

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:33:10 PM

Another here.
No longer mining. Trading though.

Struggling to find local traders though.

What happened to bitcoin.ie by the way? Any interest in selling?
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:24:39 AM

I still own bitcoin.ie.

If I were to sell it, I would have to make sure it's going to someone who has a plan, skills and time to make some good use of it. Some may say that anything would be better than just sitting on the domain, but I had already set up a website and a forum in the past (two years ago or so) and there was no interest whatsoever, so I took it down (the only users of the forum were Russian bots).

If anyone is interested please PM me with your ideas on what to do with the domain.
fergalish

Activity: 440

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:40:11 PM

Howdy. With the recent bump in price, I'm seeing that there's gonna be a lot of people and alot of companies curious about bitcoin and wanting to try it on for size. Anyone fancy a meeting? I'd suggest aiming small and soon, maybe mid-April. There's lots to discuss:

1. Promoting bitcoin in Ireland
2. Organizing an (inter) national bitcoin conference (we'd need funding)
3. Law & taxation

and more?
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:17:29 PM

Howdy. With the recent bump in price, I'm seeing that there's gonna be a lot of people and alot of companies curious about bitcoin and wanting to try it on for size. Anyone fancy a meeting? I'd suggest aiming small and soon, maybe mid-April. There's lots to discuss:

1. Promoting bitcoin in Ireland
2. Organizing an (inter) national bitcoin conference (we'd need funding)
3. Law & taxation

and more?

I would be very interested in discussing how to legally accept coins in Ireland as a business in exchange for services (and perhaps even goods). I am available for a meeting any time really, just need to know about it a week or two beforehand. Anyone else? Any other people running business interested in accepting BTC?

EDIT: Also, if anyone is looking to buy some coins for cash I am at your service.
fergalish

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:14:05 AM

I would be very interested in discussing how to legally accept coins in Ireland as a business in exchange for services (and perhaps even goods). I am available for a meeting any time really, just need to know about it a week or two beforehand. Anyone else? Any other people running business interested in accepting BTC?
I've just PMd everyone who has posted in this thread, fortunately there aren't many. Let's see who responds.
fergalish

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:27:06 PM

I've had a couple of replies. One from Derry, one from somewhere, and I'm in Cork. The most logical place to hold it would be Dublin - it's the de facto centre of the island's transport web.

How about the last weekend in April? We could meet in some city centre location for lunch on Sat. 27th, then chat all afternoon, and finish off with dinner and say goodbye. And then finish off for real with a pint or two.

Would we want something so formal as a meeting room, maybe with a projector, or will it be enough to occupy the corner of a public house, or maybe a hotel lounge? I'd go for the hotel lounge.

So far we have:
bowen151
blazr
mahkul
dublinbrian
fergalish

Any additions?
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 11:50:07 PM

I've had a couple of replies. One from Derry, one from somewhere, and I'm in Cork. The most logical place to hold it would be Dublin - it's the de facto centre of the island's transport web.

How about the last weekend in April? We could meet in some city centre location for lunch on Sat. 27th, then chat all afternoon, and finish off with dinner and say goodbye. And then finish off for real with a pint or two.

Would we want something so formal as a meeting room, maybe with a projector, or will it be enough to occupy the corner of a public house, or maybe a hotel lounge? I'd go for the hotel lounge.

So far we have:
bowen151
blazr
mahkul
dublinbrian
fergalish

Any additions?

I guess there would be no need for a meeting room; a hotel lounge would be perfect I think. I simply would love to see who else is into Bitcoin here and what we could do together to promote it in the country. Also, 27th of April would be okay for me.
fergalish

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:14:43 PM

Ok. Unless someone else can come up with a reason against, I herewith call the meeting for the 27th afternoon in Dublin. Any suggestions for the location? I haven't lived in Dublin for 20 years, so I don't know what hotel might have a decent lounge and a good but reasonably priced restaurant.

If there are enough of us (say, more than 5), I'd say to meet for lunch, maybe tea & sandwiches from the bar, and if anyone's has anything particular to say we could rig up a timetable with informal seminars delivered from a laptop. More likely, if there only 3-5 of us, then we'll meet around 4pm and just chat.

Are there any miners operating in Ireland?
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:37:38 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 08:10:23 PM by Mahkul

Apologies for the off-topic. Bitcoin was the subject of today's Derek Mooney's show on RTE Radio 1! I was tempted to give him a call, but it was quite short. Anyone listened to it? I wonder who was the Irish woman he was talking to.

EDIT: Just to confirm I am up for the meeting and I don't know Dublin too well either.
nereer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:07:47 PM

Ok. Unless someone else can come up with a reason against, I herewith call the meeting for the 27th afternoon in Dublin. Any suggestions for the location? I haven't lived in Dublin for 20 years, so I don't know what hotel might have a decent lounge and a good but reasonably priced restaurant.

If there are enough of us (say, more than 5), I'd say to meet for lunch, maybe tea & sandwiches from the bar, and if anyone's has anything particular to say we could rig up a timetable with informal seminars delivered from a laptop. More likely, if there only 3-5 of us, then we'll meet around 4pm and just chat.

Are there any miners operating in Ireland?

Im down for the 27th, my suggestion for the rendezvous location:

The Bull & Castle - it's pretty central, they have long tables so everyone can talk to eachother , the beer is good and the food is good but not special.

whaddyizreckon? 

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

This thread is barely breathing.
fergalish

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:07:03 PM

Bull & Castle seems ok to me. Only doubt: if we want to talk then it's no good if there'll be constant loud music - that's why I suggested a hotel lounge. But if this place fits the bill, then I'm game.

We have:
dbulinbrian
mahkul
nereer
fergalish

Neither bowen151 nor blazr have replied again. I'd PM again, but I already told them about this thread, so I'd prefer not to spam.

Hey - let's turn it into a PGP signing meeting, so bring your key fingerprint, and, I'd say, bring a couple of paper wallets each with a couple of euros - we can use them for tipping the bar staff.

So, excepting indications to the contrary, the date is set for April 27th at the Bull & Castle, Lord Edward Street.  There are only 4 definites, so I'd say to meet there at about 4pm.

Get your brains working about how to increase bitcoin adoption in Ireland!
karasu

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 07:04:51 PM

In Ireland, but not Irish if that works for you all Wink
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:30:36 PM

In Ireland, but not Irish if that works for you all Wink

Certainly works for me since I am not Irish as well. Wink

Do you shoot short movies? Because I make music for short movies.
btcirl

Activity: 36

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:30:42 PM

Im down for the 27th, my suggestion for the rendezvous location:

The Bull & Castle - it's pretty central, they have long tables so everyone can talk to eachother , the beer is good and the food is good but not special.

whaddyizreckon? 

Hi folks,

Good to see a few more Irish Bitcoiners about the place. I've been talking to Mahkul and he told me about the meetup, I'd definitely be interested in attending. I'm down for the 27th at the Bull & Castle - will keep an eye on the thread for any updates.  Smiley

- btcirl
bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:44:08 PM

Would love to attend but I'm heading off for a stag weekend that date!

Put me down for the next meet though, its something we should try to do a handful of times a year maybe Wink

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
karasu

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 12:36:35 PM

Certainly works for me since I am not Irish as well. Wink

Do you shoot short movies? Because I make music for short movies.

Just big fan of SF and I find short form les constrained. Blog mostly so I can have them in one spot, but it has some growth potential and it's low maintenance.
Don't want to sound like cheeky bastard, but did you tried bitcoinworker?  Roll Eyes

Bur seriously, I'll be happy to attend and mingle
ekissane

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 11:04:07 PM

Have been in contact with Mahkul about bitcoin for a while. I'll go to the meeting too. Not sure what I can bring to it but I'll go anyway.
btcirl

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:53:40 PM

Have been in contact with Mahkul about bitcoin for a while. I'll go to the meeting too. Not sure what I can bring to it but I'll go anyway.

I'm in the same boat ekissane, but it'll be good to meet a few other Bitcoin heads!  Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: