Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:11:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Wallet  (Read 350 times)
ImNewAnDontKnowWhat2Do (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:44:04 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2017, 06:20:44 AM by ImNewAnDontKnowWhat2Do

1. The transfer created 2 outputs from exchange to wallet.
How do i transfer the change wallet coins? Do I use my private key?

2. Can someone also explain "sweep" and "import" to me?

TIA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:24:34 AM

Which wallet are you using? the sweep is basically sending funds (using the private keys) to an address of your current wallet while importing is moving the same address and it private keys to that wallet. The sweep option is better If you're using a wallet with a seed otherwise it won't be recoverable. As for change address, bitcoins should be spendable just fine.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ImNewAnDontKnowWhat2Do (OP)

Activity: 34

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 09:10:47 PM

Which wallet are you using?

Paper Wallet

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16634

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 09:16:21 AM

The change is owned by the exchange, not by you. You only own the amount you sent to the paper wallet.

platom

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:33:29 PM

Is paper wallet the same as cold storage?

Paper wallets were the standard method of cold storage before hardware wallets were built. Paper wallets are private keys printed out on a piece of paper. If generated and printed with a secure, offline computer, paper wallets are secure cold storage.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:39:20 PM

Is paper wallet the same as cold storage?

I strongly advise you read some comprehensive articles on WWW (Google them using phrases like "bitcoin paper wallet", "bitcoin cold storage", "bitcoin hardware wallet"), they are great source of information. Your question is imposible to answer in a short post and involves some basic concepts that you need to grasp well to be able to safely sail the bitcoin ocean. This is my advice only, you'll do what you like, and to answer your question: a paper wallet, if created correctly (and it is a great IF) is a cold wallet. Not every cold wallet is on paper, though. Not every paper wallet is a secure cold wallet.
Extr22

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:50:28 PM

2. Can someone also explain "sweep" and "import" to me?

TIA

if you have any problem about bitcoin and wallet ask HCP user will help you
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:29:27 PM

1. Because of the way a Bitcoin transaction works, sending bitcoins typically involves sending more than you want. It's kind of like you want to pay $5, but all you have is a $20 bill. The extra amount is sent to a newly created address in your wallet called a "change" address. That is the second output in the transaction. The wallet can spend coins in that address just like any other address it manages.

2. When you "import" a private key, the new wallet simply copies and stores the imported private key and uses it just like any other private key that it manages. When you "sweep" a private key, the new wallet sends the bitcoins held by the private key to itself using a normal bitcoin transaction. Many wallets (especially ones that use a seed) do not have the capability to store an imported private key, so they "sweep" it instead.

Also, you (like many others) are confusing the terms "wallet" and "address". A "wallet" is a container for private keys (and the associated addresses). An "address" holds bitcoins. There is really no such thing as a "wallet address" because a wallet typically has many addresses. My Mycelium wallet has over 400 private keys/addresses.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
platom

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:18:32 AM

... Many wallets (especially ones that use a seed) do not have the capability to store an imported private key, so they "sweep" it instead....

i just know that. thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: