Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:15:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Force all Law Enforcement Officers to wear uniform embedded cameras.  (Read 4939 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:06:41 AM

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.

taser
You'll have to be a bit more descriptive than that.  Tasers aren't accurate to very much distance.  And you don't want to run 10 feet behind someone with a gun when you don't have something to defend yourself with.

I guess they could track a runner via helicopter or something.

handguns aren't accurate to very much distance.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:09:18 AM

I couldn't agree with this more. They should also be reviewed by an independent group. We have designed our systems so that those we intrust with the most authority have almost no accountability. It should be the opposite.

EDIT: I guess I could have read the petition before posting. Second paragraph:

"These videos then need to be reviewed by a Civilian Review Board. "

indeed
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 12:11:43 AM

I couldn't agree with this more. They should also be reviewed by an independent group. We have designed our systems so that those we intrust with the most authority have almost no accountability. It should be the opposite.

EDIT: I guess I could have read the petition before posting. Second paragraph:

"These videos then need to be reviewed by a Civilian Review Board. "

indeed

thanks for your signature

ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 07:02:10 AM

invasion of privacy of the officer though?

while he's on duty. he's serving the public there should be no privacy i guess besides bathroom visits which should be on breaks. i guess they could say they're doing that and turn camera off then beat up someone. there's no ultimate solution but this one would have great improvements I think on how it is today

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.

I mostly agree with you. The image you give looks like riot police anyway though

and why aren't more people signing this?

all we'd need is one mention on a large activist or conspiracy site and this thing would be full

I <3 riot gear.
After being on the losing end of a baton / barricade shield, my politics shifted a little further toward the "I should prolly invest in a bulletproof vest" side of anarchism.
Petitions are groovy. I suppose I'll sign, even though I'm pessimistic about its effectiveness.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 07:05:05 AM

They don't seem to mind invading other people's privacy.
As public servants should they have any privacy when working? This sounds like a great system and permanent public access to the feeds would do a huge amount for public confidence imho.
I agree with the spirit, but that's a bit broken. Video of inside your house is now up on the internet if you call the cops.
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 07:19:20 AM

They don't seem to mind invading other people's privacy.
As public servants should they have any privacy when working? This sounds like a great system and permanent public access to the feeds would do a huge amount for public confidence imho.
I agree with the spirit, but that's a bit broken. Video of inside your house is now up on the internet if you call the cops.

that's a good point

wdmw

Activity: 199

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:00:12 PM

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.

They have the shield, tazers, numbers, and an armed populace.  Obviously, it's not an ideal way to stop a rampaging gunman, but many more people are killed by police officers than by mass-shooters.
ViolentDelights

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:42:02 PM

Regarding the LEO privacy issue, they have no expectation of privacy while on the job. Further, they provide transparency in everything including evidence collection as well as an unbiased transcript of the facts.

That said, they provide more harm than good. I can drive from one end of town to the other and on occasion not see a police officer, and certainly not one facing in my direction. I can't, however, do the same without encountering one of several traffic light mounted facial recognition cameras.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 03:15:21 PM

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.

They have the shield, tazers, numbers, and an armed populace.  Obviously, it's not an ideal way to stop a rampaging gunman, but many more people are killed by police officers than by mass-shooters.

I've actually done some research into this ( Don't ask why Tongue ) and there is metal out there that can stop bullets etc. ( you can easily stop most bullets with a block of concrete for crying out loud ) the problem is the weight, once you fix the problems with how you carry such heavy pieces of metal on yourself then bullets are a lot less dangerous and may even end up being obsolete and people will have to think of ways past these defences. This will probably be why suits of armour became obsolete, because they were just too heavy to carry around and the metal was too thin to slow down a bullet properly never mind stop it.
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:55:01 PM

How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.

They have the shield, tazers, numbers, and an armed populace.  Obviously, it's not an ideal way to stop a rampaging gunman, but many more people are killed by police officers than by mass-shooters.

I've actually done some research into this ( Don't ask why Tongue ) and there is metal out there that can stop bullets etc. ( you can easily stop most bullets with a block of concrete for crying out loud ) the problem is the weight, once you fix the problems with how you carry such heavy pieces of metal on yourself then bullets are a lot less dangerous and may even end up being obsolete and people will have to think of ways past these defences. This will probably be why suits of armour became obsolete, because they were just too heavy to carry around and the metal was too thin to slow down a bullet properly never mind stop it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aprrlqd-TU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Top 10 strongest materials known to man.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:04:07 AM

Does not exist.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:55:47 AM

At first glance this seemed like a good idea. But think about it-is more public surveillance in any form a good thing?
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:00:40 AM

At first glance this seemed like a good idea. But think about it-is more public surveillance in any form a good thing?

are police dashcams good or bad?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: