Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:41:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Force all Law Enforcement Officers to wear uniform embedded cameras.  (Read 4939 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 06:43:30 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 12:11:31 AM by 420

I'd give an arm to have this passed;

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/force-all-law-enforcement-officers-wear-uniform-embedded-cameras/Mx2KDCtl

Force all Law Enforcement Officers to wear uniform embedded cameras.
Recently many videos showing misconduct by Police have been surfacing. These videos range from Police brutality, to illegal stop and search. It is important to keep our Law Enforcement Officers honest.

These videos then need to be reviewed by a Civilian Review Board. Why? Because all too often the "Blue Code" keeps officers from being reprimanded for their behavior.

One of the major issues that will be faced is that Police turn their cameras off before they partake in behavior unbecoming of an Officer of the Law. As such, these cameras should ALWAYS be on. Turning them off should be seen as suspicious behavior. Multiple "malfunctions" should also lead to investigation of tampering with the camera.

We live in a different world than our forefathers. It's time we start acting like it.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 08:01:20 AM

Holy balls and people are actually signing it? Yes I'd like to see that as well, then whenever they're being absolute cunts they'll get caught, it would be nice to have this here in the UK as well.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:21:08 AM

If cops were actually charged with destruction of evidence..
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:51:20 PM

invasion of privacy of the officer though?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:52:46 PM

They don't seem to mind invading other people's privacy.

wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:17:09 PM

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 02:17:55 PM

Well lets put it this way, it's the old argument they use against us constantly saying if you have nothing to hide then you should have nothing to fear, the problem is, they can only say this because they aren't on the receiving end as well. I'd like to see how well they'd deal with getting watched constantly and having the personal lives invaded at every turn, if the police are doing nothing illegal then they should be fine, otherwise, according to their logic, they've got something to hide Tongue.
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 04:12:25 PM

Firstly this:
I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
+g64
Secondly, I'd love to see a cleverly crafted argument for why OP isn't a great idea (so that it can be ceremoniously torn utterly asunder.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:14:24 PM

Secondly, I'd love to see a cleverly crafted argument for why OP isn't a great idea (so that it can be ceremoniously torn utterly asunder.

Only thing I can think of that an opponent might use is the idea of cops always "watching" what people are doing.  Kinda like having cameras on every corner (outside of the traffic cams), except they're on cops.

wdmw

Activity: 199

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:38:17 PM

Only thing I can think of that an opponent might use is the idea of cops always "watching" what people are doing.  Kinda like having cameras on every corner (outside of the traffic cams), except they're on cops.

I would be fine with cops 10 deep in the streets if their only power was to prevent violence.
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:46:03 PM

while he's on duty. he's serving the public there should be no privacy i guess besides bathroom visits which should be on breaks. i guess they could say they're doing that and turn camera off then beat up someone. there's no ultimate solution but this one would have great improvements I think on how it is today

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.

I mostly agree with you. The image you give looks like riot police anyway though

and why aren't more people signing this?

all we'd need is one mention on a large activist or conspiracy site and this thing would be full

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:03:18 PM

Umm...can we say central video database of every video being taken by police with facial recognition software?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:04:09 PM

Umm...can we say central video database of every video being taken by police with facial recognition software?

hells yeah

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:17:59 PM

hells yeah

Umm...it would be worse than having a camera on every street corner tracking us.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
420 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:19:48 PM

hells yeah

Umm...it would be worse than having a camera on every street corner tracking us.

no it wouldn't. because these would be tied directly to a police officer, showing THEIR actions

GaiusMaximus

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:43:44 PM

haha wow...
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:52:16 PM

I think they should be renamed to "Peace Officers", drop the guns, have a google glass-type of face mounted camera, a shield, and a taser.  Their only responsibility should be to stop any and all violence.  Then killing a police officer would legitimately be a heinous crime.  Leave investigation to investigators who use voluntary means of obtaining information.
How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:54:30 PM

I feared for my life, your honor. I had no choice but to use deadly force.

420 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:06:18 PM

How would they stop gunmen though?  Are the shields they have bulletproof?  Even for large calibers?  If that's the case, I suppose I can see them making a wall to approach a gunman.  They couldn't very well take chase after a gun-wielding runner though.

taser

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:26:30 PM

taser
You'll have to be a bit more descriptive than that.  Tasers aren't accurate to very much distance.  And you don't want to run 10 feet behind someone with a gun when you don't have something to defend yourself with.

I guess they could track a runner via helicopter or something.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: