Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:27:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running out of space  (Read 316 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:50:00 PM

Suppose my node is running out of HDD space on my computer, and I have an USB external HDD that I could use to continue downloading the blockchain. How do I do this?

What I mean is, if the latest blk file is "blk01051.dat", how do I point Bitcoin Core to keep downloading from there in the new HDD so I can keep the whole blockchain? (I don't want to use pruned mode)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 05:02:49 PM

You can't do that.

The best you can probably do is to set your datadir to be the external drive and then have symlinks for all of the files in the blocks folder that link back to the internal drive. However you will need to move the chainstate folder and basically all other files in the datadir to the external drive.

It would be better for you to just use the external drive for the datadir rather than trying to do some split drive thing.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:09:38 PM

You can't do that.

The best you can probably do is to set your datadir to be the external drive and then have symlinks for all of the files in the blocks folder that link back to the internal drive. However you will need to move the chainstate folder and basically all other files in the datadir to the external drive.

It would be better for you to just use the external drive for the datadir rather than trying to do some split drive thing.

What do you call "datadir"? the entiretiy of the "Bitcoin" folder? the "blocks" folder + "chainstate" folder?

So anyway from what I understood, it is a bad practice to try to divide the blockchain in 2 with symlinks or otherwise and I should keep everything inside a single HDD?

But this implies that the blockchain will grow slow enough to not be bigger than the current biggest HDD's? For example a "Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA3" would serve me for years... assuming that Bitcoin manages to remain Bitcoin at 1MB blocksize.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 05:27:54 PM

What do you call "datadir"? the entiretiy of the "Bitcoin" folder? the "blocks" folder + "chainstate" folder?
The whole Bitcoin folder.

So anyway from what I understood, it is a bad practice to try to divide the blockchain in 2 with symlinks or otherwise and I should keep everything inside a single HDD?
Yes.

But this implies that the blockchain will grow slow enough to not be bigger than the current biggest HDD's?
No. You can use RAID, e.g. RAID 0 or Raid 5.

For example a "Seagate Archive HDD 8TB SATA3" would serve me for years... assuming that Bitcoin manages to remain Bitcoin at 1MB blocksize.
4 disks of that kind would give you 32 TB in RAID 0, and 24 TB in RAID 5.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16599

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 09:26:56 PM

I've done this with many (non-Bitcoin) files for a long time: simlinking them to show up in several directories on different disks is very well possible. I used a script to create and delete all simlinks.
But: it's very tricky, back in those days I was much more limited on disk space, and I wouldn't recommend doing it. In general, it's much, much easier to keep your data in one directory, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Linux doesn't care if blk00297.dat is a simlink to a USB-stick and blk00624.dat a simlink to a network mount, but if one of those is offline, Bitcoin Core does care.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: