Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:20:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6990s in stock at NewEgg NOW (Watercooled)  (Read 1803 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:15:39 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131438

Go!

Mousepotato
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kbsbtc

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:22:53 PM

They went pretty quick.
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:29:53 PM

Damn, gone in seconds Sad

Mousepotato
CydeWeys

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:47:35 PM

Who is spending over $1 per MHash/s right now on new mining equipment?  That's never going to pay itself back at these difficulty levels.
Mousepotato (OP)

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:15:39 PM

Who is spending over $1 per MHash/s right now on new mining equipment?  That's never going to pay itself back at these difficulty levels.
People who have multi-role systems that do more than just mine.

Mousepotato
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:20:24 PM

25+ in stock, 10 minutes later "out of stock".

Quote from: CydeWeys
Who is spending over $1 per MHash/s right now on new mining equipment?  That's never going to pay itself back at these difficulty levels.

Watercooled 6990's can push 830mhash/s per card easy, maybe even more if you cool the VRM. On a robust motherboard & PSU you can run 4 of these under Linux for 8 total GPU's = 3320 mhash/s per 1 rig.

Or, you could just buy 8 pieces of 6950's and need up to 2-4 power supplies, motherboards, CPU's, RAM sticks, casing, WLAN adapters etc. to run them. 5830's and 5850's are out of stock everywhere.

You can't just calculate $ per mhash.
You have to take in account the fact you need to build an entire system around the GPU, or multiple systems. A GPU doesn't run on it's own when you open the box.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
onis_uk

Activity: 131

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:28:07 PM

stupid thing to say ! of course it will, just not as fast as before ! you WILL get your money back............... people have been "folding at home" for years
earning nothing and only making a loss (hardware and electricity costs!) just for the fun of it ! whats up with everyone bitching about mining
not being profitable any more ?!?!? surely if your making more than the electricity costs you're literally making money for nothing  !!!!! 
_s3v3n_

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:51:22 PM

Who is spending over $1 per MHash/s right now on new mining equipment?  That's never going to pay itself back at these difficulty levels.

stupid thing to say ! of course it will, just not as fast as before ! you WILL get your money back............... people have been "folding at home" for years
earning nothing and only making a loss (hardware and electricity costs!) just for the fun of it ! whats up with everyone bitching about mining
not being profitable any more ?!?!? surely if your making more than the electricity costs you're literally making money for nothing  !!!!!  

Well explained.

Money for nothing (technically). And these bitches never stop whining!

RDD RjBUYX75fvQ1yeSDJPkuB5wU35etvZ9JES
CydeWeys

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:04:45 PM

not being profitable any more ?!?!? surely if your making more than the electricity costs you're literally making money for nothing  !!!!! 

How are you so sure that "you WILL get your money back"?  You can do the math really simply -- based on the output of that card, and exponentially rising difficulty levels, it won't pay for itself (or, at the very least, it will output fewer BTC than if you just put the $900 into Bitcoins now).  $900 would buy around 50 BTC at the current market rate, which is more than a 6990 will ever mine over its lifetime.

I'll accept the argument that people might just want a bitching gaming machine, and then want to have it partially pay for itself in what would otherwise be down time, but as a straight money-making proposition, buying a 6990 is a loser.
_s3v3n_

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:13:44 PM

not being profitable any more ?!?!? surely if your making more than the electricity costs you're literally making money for nothing  !!!!!  

How are you so sure that "you WILL get your money back"?  You can do the math really simply -- based on the output of that card, and exponentially rising difficulty levels, it won't pay for itself (or, at the very least, it will output fewer BTC than if you just put the $900 into Bitcoins now).  $900 would buy around 50 BTC at the current market rate, which is more than a 6990 will ever mine over its lifetime.

I'll accept the argument that people might just want a bitching gaming machine, and then want to have it partially pay for itself in what would otherwise be down time, but as a straight money-making proposition, buying a 6990 is a loser.

I didn't bought a 6990 but did bought three 6950s. I already paid off two of them - started mining May 30, 2011.

I rest my case.  Grin

RDD RjBUYX75fvQ1yeSDJPkuB5wU35etvZ9JES
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 10:28:36 PM

I say it's about time manufacturers go the liquid cooler way.

It's not like it cost them that much more !

99.9% of their product are still on air.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: