Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:44:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: brain wallets - good or bad  (Read 3723 times)
ZeroChillZA

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:31:35 PM

In what plan to motivate to work? You can not decide on the choice of work, or you are just too lazy to go to work. If only laziness, then it will quickly pass. You have to live for something Smiley
MotulDiesel

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:06:23 PM

It is not a good idea to me. T never trust my memory. My brain forget everything forget everything need to remember instead of pin it on a brain note. Even you can create a brain wallet by a unique language, are you sure that you can remember it totally every case ? I don't think so unless you are a genius.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 07:38:03 PM

brain wallets are fine - don't believe the charlatans, they don't know what they talk about Smiley

just mind your password - make it long enough and impossible to guess.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

What about if a disease occurs to you and you can't remember it? You'll lose the wallet!
Not a good idea!

My thoughts about that. What if you are loosing your mind the past view years? You get something on your head in an accident and lose parts of your memory?
What you are talking about is a rare cases which i think you were a pessimist but if you think it will never going to happen it will not. It's just a matter of believing but if it will do going to happen to someone, well they should have better to leave a clue to their trusted friends and family. It may happen to someone but like i said it will rarely to happen.

jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 03:12:40 AM

brain wallets are fine - don't believe the charlatans, they don't know what they talk about Smiley

That's all good, a long strong password will make the wallet secure, I don't think anyone is arguing that point. But as people have pointed out what if somehow you forgot that password, making it long and strong just makes it easier to forget, but even if your memory is somehow exceptional what if an injury or disease makes you forget it? Then what?
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 08:59:28 AM

That's all good, a long strong password will make the wallet secure, I don't think anyone is arguing that point. But as people have pointed out what if somehow you forgot that password, making it long and strong just makes it easier to forget, but even if your memory is somehow exceptional what if an injury or disease makes you forget it? Then what?

then you ought to write it down, preferably not as is, but rather as a puzzle that only you can solve.
I'd also advise to somehow hide the hint message among some unrelated data, so even if someone sees it he wont have a clue that this is the hint to your brain wallet.
for that reason, I would not keep it in a safe.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
herecomesjohnny

Activity: 156
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 10:13:03 AM

Brain wallet is the good technique that man can do with his brain power. Bear in mind that human brain is a complex thing and as many algorithms, you think of and provide them with your passcodes or something else at any moment something can happen to you. In that moment it is 50 percent that you will forget your passes and that was your only storage you've  stored it. Afcorsee the human brain is exceptional but always make a backup.
peter0093

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

yes brain wallet are good because of the brain of people are very weak they con not  remember our password so they help from the brain wallet to get purchase money
blocklife
Copper Member

Activity: 81

Look around you , nothing is secure

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 12:17:27 PM

To be honest, this sounds like a fast way to loose money.

+ the burden of remembering it will most likely make you forget it

how many people here alway have a hard time remembering there ccv ?

except if the phrase is stupid simple to remember

i wouldnt advice storing your entire cash on your brain

by the way , your brain is digital !!! Smiley

print a paper wallet

The purpose of humanity : Genesis Chapter 1 (Rule)
wilhb81

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Any store can buy, sell, and accept Crypto

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 01:00:32 PM

What about if a disease occurs to you and you can't remember it? You'll lose the wallet!
Not a good idea!

I thought the same thing as you did. For example, if a bitcoin's owner is suddenly being diagnosed with Alzheimer or Dementia - it's a huge possibility that he/she will lose the memory of many things, including the password for brain wallet!

________Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency________
█████████ ██ ███ ██      PUNDI X      ██ ███ ██ █████████
Whitepaper      Twitter      Facebook      Telegram      Medium      Youtube
Stef9292

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:11:07 PM

Bad idea for sure, you can easily forgot your mem phrase or get hacked if its too simple, no way to prefer a paper wallet instead of a brain wallet
daddypastes

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 04:58:17 PM

For me it sounds like a terrible idea.. It surely can be safe, but I would every day think "what if someone think of the same as me" Tongue

I would be super paranoid at least..

brain wallet is not to easy how if we have a lot of same thing and easily forgot
btctousd81

Activity: 434
Merit: 270

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 02:00:31 PM

brain wallets are always bad.,
because our mind always chooses easier option becuase it has to keep it in memory i.e. in our brain.

that is the reason brainwallet site got closed and majority brain wallets got hacked and funds sweeped.

if you still want to use brain wallets then use some salt to make it more difficult to crack or guess., e.g. warpwallets are doing the same.,
they even have open challenge to break their wallets .,

ref: https://keybase.io/warp/

lukaexpl

Activity: 148
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:04:53 PM

Not a good idea!

I thought the same thing as you did. For example, if a bitcoin's owner is suddenly being diagnosed with Alzheimer or Dementia - it's a huge possibility that he/she will lose the memory of many things, including the password for brain wallet!

Alzheimer or Dementia are usually of a slow onset. But bullets, strokes and meningitis strike fast and produce the same effect.

Of all the things that might disappear in this world one thing is guaranteed - your brain will vanish.
omashi

Activity: 54

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 02:34:32 PM

very bad, we are humans we have tendency to forget, keep it simple, write on a piece of paper.

CBT ◆◆ CommerceBlock ◆◆ CBT
Creating Decentralised Financial Infrastructure (https://www.commerceblock.com/)
◆ Whitepaper (https://www.commerceblock.com/commerceblock-whitepaper.pdf) ◆ ANN Thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2613540) ◆ Github (https://github.com/commerceblock) ◆ Twitter (https://twitter.com/commerceblock) ◆ Telegram (https://t.me/joinchat/Ge36IURXhKAS_6HTznUXUg) ◆
TerranceBug

Activity: 54

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:16:22 PM

Doesn`t look very safe to me  Undecided
adiksau0414

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 07:59:22 AM

As i research for its advantage and disadvatages to contribute to this thread, i just found this article. Credit to the owner. I just add my own idea about it.
Advantages:
1.Only you know the mnemonic in your brain, so you just need to trust your memory.   (this is the hard part, unless you have a good memory)
2.There is no written record or possibility of an online hack. (hackers cant find it,  its in your brain)
3.Your brain wallet is always safe from hacking. (i think its is same as number 2?)

Disadvantages

1.If you suffer from any medical condition like amnesia or dementia, you will lose your coin keys with you. (yes,  if you this kind of problem,  brain Wallet doesnt suits you)
2.As there is no written backup, if you forget your mnemonic phrase, then your funds are lost forever. (Thats your major problem,  you cant crack your password)
3. If someone knows you have a lot of money in your paper wallet, they can steal that. But if someone gets to know that you have a lot of money in your brain wallet, you can get kidnapped. Smiley (this the best,  funny but true). 

Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:14:09 AM

1.Only you know the mnemonic in your brain, so you just need to trust your memory.   (this is the hard part, unless you have a good memory)

Even if you have a brilliant memory it is not that easy to memorize a mnemonic seed of 24 words or an even longer seed.
However, even if that is no problem for you the risk is simply too big.

If after a few years you only remember 22/24 words, it is still nearly impossible with current computation power to
bruteforce the missing 2 words of your seed.

This problem is intensified by the fact that your memory may be impaired by a medical event like a stroke, a medical
event caused by a accident or even the onset of a medical condition like dementia or Alzheimer´s.

All in all I would recommend a brain wallet only for an amount of Bitcoin that you are willing to lose.
peter0093

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:52:19 PM

yes brain wallet are useful nut also has disadvantages when accidentally damage so it cant be able to use or log in
J.westwood

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:28:31 AM

Brain wallets are something a good idea. This is the most trustable wallets to use.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: