Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions about this new rig  (Read 260 times)
GryphoCry (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:00:46 PM

Hi,

I want to build a new rig for mining ETH or other Altcoins, this are the components that i have in mind:

* MB: Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC PRO
* PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-1000-V1 Power Supply, 1000 W
* Intel BX80662G4500 Pentium G4500 Processor Dual-Core 3.5 Ghz
* RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 4GB 2133MHz DDR4
* GPU: (5X) Sapphire RADEON RX 580 4GB GDDR5 NITRO+

Please leave a coment with your opinion or cheapest alternatives, its important to mention that im new on this but i thinks is a good moment to start.

Thanks in advance.  Smiley
laineux

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:11:06 PM

Hi

I have 5 Nitro RX580.
Fine for ETH after bios mod.
I get 30.8 MH/s on solo mining.

But they consume much more power and get hotter than 1070.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:58:07 PM

I'd go with the EVGA G2 1000 instead of the GQ.
The GQ series as I recall used a junk "fancy name" sleeve bearing fan, the G2 uses a good ball-bearing fan that WILL last a lot longer in heavy-duty 24/7 use like in a mining environment.
Seasonic X-1000 would be another good choice if they weren't out of production.

Go with the Sapphire "mining" RX cards - lower cost than the actual Nitro, similar performance, cooling is at least as good.
 The RX 470 model that has the "no DVI connector" on it in particular has noticeably better cooling than the stock Nitro - but you probably will need ONE card with a video connector on it to hook your monitor to.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
GryphoCry (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:05:41 AM

I'd go with the EVGA G2 1000 instead of the GQ.
The GQ series as I recall used a junk "fancy name" sleeve bearing fan, the G2 uses a good ball-bearing fan that WILL last a lot longer in heavy-duty 24/7 use like in a mining environment.
Seasonic X-1000 would be another good choice if they weren't out of production.

Go with the Sapphire "mining" RX cards - lower cost than the actual Nitro, similar performance, cooling is at least as good.
 The RX 470 model that has the "no DVI connector" on it in particular has noticeably better cooling than the stock Nitro - but you probably will need ONE card with a video connector on it to hook your monitor to.

Thanks for the advice, i´ll buy the suggested EVGA...

Regarding to the RX Cards, i search for them but i couldn´t find any on my country, but i found SAPPHIRE Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 Special Edition 8GB for the same price, so i think i´ll buy them.

I read that getting an 8gb instead of a 4gb would help to the GPU getting obsolete in a mid-term future like the >3gb AMD cards.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:49:27 PM

8GB cards have an actual advantage in ETH mining over 4GB cards - 8GB cards normally have 8000 Mhz "effective" clock rate ram, 4GB normally have 6600 or 7000 instead - which MATTERS noticeable on ETH mining.

Tradeoff is they tend to be more expensive - but if you do end up reselling them, they DO retain a higher value that makes up for a lot of the extra cost.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:55:42 PM

8GB cards have an actual advantage in ETH mining over 4GB cards - 8GB cards normally have 8000 Mhz "effective" clock rate ram, 4GB normally have 6600 or 7000 instead - which MATTERS noticeable on ETH mining.

Tradeoff is they tend to be more expensive - but if you do end up reselling them, they DO retain a higher value that makes up for a lot of the extra cost.

However, that cards can be used to mine monero. There are many people now concentrating on xmr and doing it. Their difficulty rate is also incresing since the competitator rate is lower than you can find ethereum or bitcoins.
Having 6 rigs will be able to give 500 USD at least with the commercial electricity.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 08:18:55 AM

I'm not certain if now is an amazing time to build a new rig from scratch, if your main goal is profitability. If the learning experience is what you're here for, then by all means, go ahead.

Your profitability expectation largely depends on what you think your coins will be worth, what's going to happen to the mining difficulty, and how much you pay for power. (As well as how much you think you can sell your old hardware for, if you plan to do so in the future.) Nobody can answer these definitively, so be sure to do your research and come up with your own answers.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███