Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:45:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Gigabyte7970 at Skrypt mining  (Read 2711 times)
Tornate (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:41:01 PM

Guys, I got 2 problems with my 4 x 7970 Gigabyte OC mining rig Huh

The 1st problem is when 4 cards running with attached monitor, the one with monitor cable connected is always 100 Khashes slower than others (at skrypt algorithm). It is always the nearest PCI-E slot to CPU fan on motherboard.

GPU 2 = 1st slot on the mother board (nearest to CPU Fan)

I tried to swap the 1st (the one with monitor cable connected) with 2nd or 3rd cards. Nothing had changed: the card on which I replaced was still slower than 3 others..

Then I detached monitor and a second problem has arisen.
I started remote desktop connection via RAdmin (also tried LogMeIn) to connect to my rig, then launched CGMiner.
Here's what I got:

GPU 2 = 1st slot on the mother board (nearest to CPU Fan)

I assume the temperatures and fan speeds disappeared due to a mismatch of OpenCL and ADL devices (according to the following text at cgminer's start):

Tried to search the forum, but did not find the solution how to "use the gpu map feature".

My .bat script:
Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer --scrypt --gpu-fan 80 --gpu-engine 1050 --gpu-memclock 1500 --intensity 13 --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192 --worksize 256 -g 2 -o XXXX -u Collide.1 -p XXXXXX

//sorry for my English, I would be very grateful, if someone PM'ed me pointing out my grammar/lexical mistakes.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 07:53:58 PM

are they connected with risers (powered or unpowered) or just in the pci-e slots on the mobo?
MaxGen

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:07:44 PM

Without a monitor connected, you need a DVI dummy plug.  There are a few ways to do it, but I use the simplest method, a single 68 Ohm resistor.

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=11

Antropov

Activity: 67

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:44:43 PM

Without a monitor connected, you need a DVI dummy plug.  There are a few ways to do it, but I use the simplest method, a single 68 Ohm resistor.

I think the 7xxx series don't need dummy plug but again I'm not 100% sure. Maybe it is a cgminer issue -make a cgminer conf file and put the appropriate settings there. Reading how to setup cgminer for BAMT might help you better.

Get Free VpnCoin, Join BitNet ! VuGYzxAKtFx7vb8s1fFkxc5H5bhdnVqZCZ
Tornate (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:57:16 PM

I use unpowered risers.

Also I run few rigs with 4x7950, it runs smoothly and none of 7950 cards does require dummy plugs.
Antropov

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:02:10 PM

Then if your specific card works smoothly in another mobo, your PCI-e slot has been fried (detach your card before its too late)

Tornate (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

Nope, I haven't tried the 7970 card from that specific slot on another mobo yet.
By the way, all motherboards I use are the same model.
Antropov

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:08:23 PM

Nope, I haven't tried the 7970 card from that specific slot on another mobo yet.
By the way, all motherboards I use are the same model.

Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't you be using powered risers? What is the model of your mobos?

Tornate (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:11:50 PM

Powered risers are used to prevent the mobo from burning out when 5 or 6 cards are connected.
I use only 4 cards on mobos, and it runs smoothly. So that's why I don't use powered raisers.

Anyway, raisers are definitely not the root of my problems..
Antropov

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:31:11 PM

Powered risers are used to prevent the mobo from burning out when 5 or 6 cards are connected.
I use only 4 cards on mobos, and it runs smoothly. So that's why I don't use powered raisers.

Mate, It can be anything... from a faulty ram to a  bios setting you changed (some bios settings changes by themselves after fast reboot or electrical spikes- for eg. Asus P5QDeluxe)
You said your cgminer settings are identical for all your rigs... it's a hardware issue.  Check the pci-e slot with a multimeter (find out which pins in the PCIe slot are the power pins and check what voltage you have there with the multimeter) 

Charles999

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:27:57 PM

Mate, It can be anything... from a faulty ram to a  bios setting you changed (some bios settings changes by themselves after fast reboot or electrical spikes- for eg. Asus P5QDeluxe)
You said your cgminer settings are identical for all your rigs... it's a hardware issue.  Check the pci-e slot with a multimeter (find out which pins in the PCIe slot are the power pins and check what voltage you have there with the multimeter) 

I get the same crappy problem with my 7990 Maltas.  One card with two gpus.. one gpu runs at 675 and the other runs at 520.  They both run at 100C
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:44:30 PM

Holy shit 100c?

Cool that shit down before it melts!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Kinetic915

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:37:29 PM

I get the same crappy problem with my 7990 Maltas.  One card with two gpus.. one gpu runs at 675 and the other runs at 520.  They both run at 100C

or your house burns down.

broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:40:37 PM

This is not true, I use 8 GPUS and none of them have dummy plugs and my usage is 99% on all 8 GPUs.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
CryptoBadger

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 11:58:10 PM

I use unpowered risers.

With 4x 7970 on unpowered risers, I can nearly guarantee that you'll eventually fry your motherboard. It might take a few months, but you're sending far more power through it than it was designed for, unless you're using a board that has four 16x PCI-E slots and explicitly states it it is intended to host a quad-GPU setup (I don't know of any).

If you've been running for more than a few weeks already, you might want to power down and disconnect the motherboard power connector and inspect it for signs of burning.

Spend the $10 for a powered riser or two.
Antropov

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:02:36 PM

I use unpowered risers.

With 4x 7970 on unpowered risers, I can nearly guarantee that you'll eventually fry your motherboard. It might take a few months, but you're sending far more power through it than it was designed for, unless you're using a board that has four 16x PCI-E slots and explicitly states it it is intended to host a quad-GPU setup (I don't know of any).

If you've been running for more than a few weeks already, you might want to power down and disconnect the motherboard power connector and inspect it for signs of burning.

Spend the $10 for a powered riser or two.
+1
There are some mobos with 7 pci-e for eg. http://motherboard.findthebest.com/l/644/ASUS-Z9PE-D8-WS. I totally agree with the need of powered risers.

aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2013, 08:33:36 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 10:25:22 PM by aa

Antropov

Y'all want a single...

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:51:22 PM

Antropov and CryptoBadger: Fuck off with your powered riser pushing. None of you have any idea how motherboards, power supplies and GPUs work.

OP: Since your shit is already broken, try using Linux. There is a version of BAMT for scypt mining, if you don't want to set it up yourself/follow a guide to do it manually.

To me it just looks like driver and SDK issues. You can try uninstalling all of your drivers/SDK and going with 13.1 or 12.8, for example.
Aa you can be polite when you answer to people you don't know. Please be my guest and enlighten us with your vast technical knowledge about mobos, gpus and power supplies. And next time be kind and read the whole topic before answering individual posts unless you are making a point... as a troll. Cheers

tron1082

Activity: 60

I've got the mind of a scientist

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:59:37 PM

Try different engines and memclocks on the 7970's.  I've got 2 identical rigs with 4 7970's and powered risers and they each like different cgminer settings. Strange since they are literally the same machine as far as components go.   Also I've found that plugging the monitor into different cards and rebooting will change or improve the hashrate.  It's all black magic with 7970s, especially when you're running 4 of them.   I don't use dummy plugs on any of the cards that the monitor isn't connected to. 

How much RAM does your system have in it? Do you have at least 4GB on the board?

DGC: D94C7TQdxLqPz5CtR47MigKwARqeTeUdAW  |  LTC: LazjxiafdkLw8HRWeyLrabU6f5zhyyrqEr  |  BTC: 1K5EP1DoE6fEmc2pwYXrbXbQbHcRvFee91  | I mine real coins, not trying to be the best at exercising.. my gpus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: