Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:39:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig dual server PSU's functionality info needed !!!  (Read 250 times)
jiri.lhotsky (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:06:20 PM

Hey guys, I’m building my first 12 GPU riser rig with the use of two server PSU’s. 1st PSU powering the motherboard & CPU (through a 260 watt PICO) and 6 GPU’s, 2nd PSU powering another 6 GPU’s. I need to ask the more experienced of you about one crucial thing - the proper procedure of turning on and off the rig aka the PSU’s powering the GPU’s. To my knowledge, the second PSU powering ONLY the GPU’s can be powered on (manually) BEFORE the first PSU (with the connected motherboard). And it needs needs to be powered off (manually) AFTER the first PSU. In other words, the GPU’s on the second PSU needs to be powered all the time while the system is running and it DOES NOT HARM neither the GPU’s nor the motherboard if the 6 GPU’s are powered from trhe second PSU while the rest of the system (motherboard etc.) is shut off. Can you please confirm or comment? Many thanks!
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 05:17:25 PM

That is correct. In some rigs I have been present during setup I together with a friend have used 2 x 750 watt CoolerMaster PSU-s and the first one is only connected to the motherboard, and 3 GPU-s and it is this one that powers on the motherboard and the 3 GPU-s here which are turned on 1ST, after this we manually turn on the second PSU (after we have made a paralel connection to both PSU-s) and this does not harm in anyway the motherboard or other devices. This second PSU is dedicated to the other three cards only and powers on only them.

In theory and practice you are correct.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
gtxBitcoinGuy

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 06:41:06 PM

Hey guys, I’m building my first 12 GPU riser rig with the use of two server PSU’s. 1st PSU powering the motherboard & CPU (through a 260 watt PICO) and 6 GPU’s, 2nd PSU powering another 6 GPU’s. I need to ask the more experienced of you about one crucial thing - the proper procedure of turning on and off the rig aka the PSU’s powering the GPU’s. To my knowledge, the second PSU powering ONLY the GPU’s can be powered on (manually) BEFORE the first PSU (with the connected motherboard). And it needs needs to be powered off (manually) AFTER the first PSU. In other words, the GPU’s on the second PSU needs to be powered all the time while the system is running and it DOES NOT HARM neither the GPU’s nor the motherboard if the 6 GPU’s are powered from trhe second PSU while the rest of the system (motherboard etc.) is shut off. Can you please confirm or comment? Many thanks!

You are doing it the right way. One more thing you can do is try to use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JM7KVD/ this adapter which will help to turn on and off both PSU simultaneously.
jiri.lhotsky (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 06:47:21 PM

You are doing it the right way. One more thing you can do is try to use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JM7KVD/ this adapter which will help to turn on and off both PSU simultaneously.

Unfortunately this adapter can not be used on my solution as I have 2 HP server-type PSU's.
gtxBitcoinGuy

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:35:58 PM

In that case you are doing fine. Cheers!
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 07:57:26 PM

Where did you get the 260w PICO from? Only ever seen the 160w version.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
jiri.lhotsky (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:38:05 PM

Where did you get the 260w PICO from? Only ever seen the 160w version.

Got them from aliexpress.com as well as the v008 risers and all the PCIe power cabling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: