Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:38:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Parity Ethereum Wallet Scam?  (Read 313 times)
cryptoethyoda (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:00:37 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2017, 10:13:02 PM by cryptoethyoda

Hi,

Is this true that more than 300 million dollars worth of Ether got stolen from Parity?

https://edstorme.tumblr.com/post/167280296858/get-your-share-of-ether-worth-300-million-frozen

Thanks.

Ed
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:22:50 PM

Yes man, they got hacked, but it happened yesterday, a crazy guy was bored and he didn't had another idea better than be hacking the whole ethereum blockchain, and this is how he got access to those parity wallets and he hacked and deleted all those multisignature wallets, and a lot of people and ico's lost a lot of money.
If i am not wrong, Electrum lost 90% of their funds, it means that they dont have anything right now, so they are almost broke and their investors doesnt even got their funds back.
This is a very sad situation, but it is never going to be solved.

Hello
groko271

Activity: 790
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:31:53 PM

Yes man, they got hacked, but it happened yesterday, a crazy guy was bored and he didn't had another idea better than be hacking the whole ethereum blockchain, and this is how he got access to those parity wallets and he hacked and deleted all those multisignature wallets, and a lot of people and ico's lost a lot of money.
If i am not wrong, Electrum lost 90% of their funds, it means that they dont have anything right now, so they are almost broke and their investors doesnt even got their funds back.

a crazy guy was bored and he didn't had another idea better than be hacking the whole ethereum blockchain

that made me lol, I could picture a guy yawning bored, oh yeah I'll hack the multi sigs because I have nothing better to do. To answer the OP, not sure if scam or clever hack? time will tell, follow the money if you can.
fia_naila

Activity: 770
Merit: 258

The Standart Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:40:28 PM

Its not scam. Its just bug found by noobs dev. He said he was trying to kill the library and then booommm.. some account can not withdraw their ethereum and i read in some news the only way to unfreeze those account is hard fork. The fund is secure and very secure untill the owner of the wallet can not withdraw...in some twitter i read some one called it lockchain not block chain anymore..hahah

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:48:54 PM

Well not exactly hacked but what the motives of devops199 were is uncertain. In his own words he was investigating the july hack. He sure did cause a stir and quite some peoples funds are now frozen, can't imagine what an ICO like polkadot might be going trough as they probably rely on these funds or else they might have to shut down.

Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:54:48 PM

It wasn't really a hack. Check out this link and look at the small conversation in it.
https://www.cryptpool.net/ethereum-wallet-vulnerability/
It was a bug in Parity's multi-sig code. I don't know if this devops199 guy really doesn't know what his doing or what. Nonetheless, it's a huge loss with no way to recover.
bigdogdan2

Activity: 252
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:53:35 PM

makes me think twice if I want to keep funds in some of these online wallets.

OPEN Platform | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱Blockchain's First Payment API❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram
wordspavovv

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 12:06:26 AM

Is was not a scam not even a hack, a noob developer just happen to be a character from southpark who was playing with code and lock everything by accidental  . I only imagine this as an episode of southpark.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DIW ◈    DIWtoken.com    ▐   WHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAM   ▌    SECURITY DECENTRALIZED
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:30:08 AM

Yes, it was a vulnerability and one guy took advantage from that and changed the code, and this is why all the multisignature wallets has been "cracked" and the real owners lost the access to those wallets, and the funds are now lost in somewhere in where nobody can got access to them.
The same happened a long time ago, i dont know why ethereum is still having those kind of issues, because it happened exactly the same three months ago.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
lobo13hf

Activity: 2268
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:11:12 AM

Hi,

Is this true that more than 300 million dollars worth of Ether got stolen from Parity?

https://edstorme.tumblr.com/post/167280296858/get-your-share-of-ether-worth-300-million-frozen

Thanks.

Ed
That's fake news, the correct amount must be worth 150 million dollars. The ethereum gets frozen in the parity due to the code already erased by those newbies was around 500k ethereum.
It's not get stolen by the way.
You can try to get the better news on the reliable site. Too many fake news about ethereum and it can be considered as FUD to the ethereum itself. remember ethereum has so many competitors right now.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
billysunday2000

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:19:41 AM

It did not get stolen. But the multisig wallet got corrupted - the tokens are still in the wallets.  But they are locked and can not be removed because the multisig was disabled and thus the tokens can not be moved or used etc.
giveen

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:38:04 AM

Yes, it was a vulnerability and one guy took advantage from that and changed the code, and this is why all the multisignature wallets has been "cracked" and the real owners lost the access to those wallets, and the funds are now lost in somewhere in where nobody can got access to them.
The same happened a long time ago, i dont know why ethereum is still having those kind of issues, because it happened exactly the same three months ago.
This wasn't intentional the developer found a bug in multisignature wallets so to fix and he ended up getting the ownership of the funds , he panicked and while giving back the funds to the rightful owner he ended up deleting the code from the library which then locked the funds permanently and no one could access it.

makes me think twice if I want to keep funds in some of these online wallets.
Lol i agree with you we should always have control over your funds that's the reason i store all my eth in myetherwallet and suggest everyone to do so.

Hi,

Thanks.

Ed
Stop misleading your title it was a bug the funds just got deleted or locked no one really has control over it.
BenCodie
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036

6.25 ---> 3.125

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 05:40:48 AM

Parity sufferred from two vulnerability exploits for its multisig wallet implementation. The first one happened on July 19th, and the second one happened on November 7th. Both caused serious loss for its users.
But Ethereum Classic is not effected by this and the previous one back in 19th July

Read full article here : https://that.world/~classic/2017/11/07/vulnerability-faq/

sezyumx

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Sandblock - Customer satisfaction on blockchain

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 05:52:59 AM

They stolen once, they froze once. Who should be punished if they are wrong.

arpon11

Activity: 882
Merit: 282

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:21:25 AM

This stealing from ethereum from parity has become the latest thing that is bringing bad image to bitcoin and others tokens. I have been investing in ethereum tokens during there ico since early this years but my fear is always this stealing and scam. Ether has been performing below expectations. I have to stop investing because of this and we would have to put many things in place to be able to perform well.
contecsion

Activity: 49
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:32:18 AM

This is a very bad news for Etherum. When this news came out, it made Etherum fall sharply. Stealing someone's ETH wallet is a sinful act. Everyone should be careful with his Etherum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: