Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Survey] Dev team looking to improve mining experience  (Read 157 times)
cpmcgrat (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:59:07 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2017, 04:18:40 AM by cpmcgrat

Hi all,

Throughout my experience mining cryptos I've been frustrated with the inconsistency of mining pools for smaller alts and lack of innovation in multi-pool tech. So, I've put together a team of devops engineers (cloud/sec), blockchain/mining experts and graphic designers to attempt to make the process more streamlined and easy for everyone.

Due to the teams background in devops, the underlying platform for the pool will be multi-cloud (AWS w/ Azure failovers) and multi-region in each cloud. It will be secured using best-of-breed firewalls (Palo Alto) and ddos protected through native web application firewalls (WAFs) in AWS and Azure through their load balancers.

However, the purpose of the survey is to determine what new features/innovation would benefit people the most. We're currently in the early stages of figuring out where the pain points are so we can tailor our solutions to the needs of the community as a whole.

The survey takes around a minute to complete. We'd love any and all feedback!

SURVEY LINK: survey.skyblue.io
Length: ~1 min

Thank you!  Grin

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
cpmcgrat (OP)

DCAB

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:07:56 AM

Also, we're aware that a lot of this functionality can be achieved client-side through scripting and monitoring software. So to head off that discussion here's a list of positives and negatives about the solutions compared to each other.

Server-side rig management pros
1) Multiple network-independent mining rigs mining on the same pool (no bridges/switches to access each other over private subnets). It may be beneficial to have the control server-side since it has access to the performance metrics for all mining rigs.
2) Non-technical miners that want the functionality done in the watchdog scripts visible and easily configurable (I?ve personally built numerous rigs for non-technical friends/family).
3) Improved network security due to not needing to open more ports to expose metrics and data generated by the client-side watchdog script.
4) Single location to configure setting for all coins/rigs

Server side rig management cons
1) Inability to switch between mining software, swapping between coins would be restricted to ones mineable by the software currently running.
2) Less control/visibility. Due to the decisions happening for you remotely, there is less fine-grain control about what happens
3) Trust. By having a third-party handle the operations for you, you?re putting trust in them to figure out the most optimal solution

cpmcgrat (OP)

DCAB

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:00:47 PM

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to respond so far!

mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:19:19 PM

Hi all,

Throughout my experience mining cryptos I've been frustrated with the inconsistency of mining pools for smaller alts and lack of innovation in multi-pool tech. So, I've put together a team of devops engineers (cloud/sec), blockchain/mining experts and graphic designers to attempt to make the process more streamlined and easy for everyone.

Due to the teams background in devops, the underlying platform for the pool will be multi-cloud (AWS w/ Azure failovers) and multi-region in each cloud. It will be secured using best-of-breed firewalls (Palo Alto) and ddos protected through native web application firewalls (WAFs) in AWS and Azure through their load balancers.

However, the purpose of the survey is to determine what new features/innovation would benefit people the most. We're currently in the early stages of figuring out where the pain points are so we can tailor our solutions to the needs of the community as a whole.

Thank you!  Grin
done,
hope it helps
cpmcgrat (OP)

DCAB

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:42:54 PM

Hi all,

Thank you!  Grin
done,
hope it helps

Of course! Every answer helps! Thank you for taking the time to respond  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: