Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:03:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are 1070 TI's the next best GPU for mining? 4.7 sols per watt  (Read 9226 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 10:01:10 AM

Anyone managed to take the settings further with even better results / esp on linux?

Probably card dependent, and seems to at least in part be mining software dependent.

It DOES look like the best efficiency point on EBWF is at 104 watts not 106, but it's so close it could be an artifact of measurement limits.

I tried pushing core and memory harder on one of my EVGA SC cards, but stability went bad very quickly above the +200 core and +700 memory settings (which was an unreported part of my original testing).
 That however might vary with the specific card and probably with the model of GPU.

I'm not waiting, as I'm not convinced that the Volta versions of the 10xx series cards will be a LOT more efficient.
 10% probably, 20% maybe, 30% I'd bet against - we're still on the same process node, just "process improvements" and perhaps some additional minor optimisations to the designs are all we're likely to see - think of "RX 4xx vs RX 5xx" level changes being the most likely.

Hint - "12nm" isn't a new node, it's enhancements to a current 16nm node process with a "new name" as strictly an ADVERTISING point.

Samsung does seem to have some VERY small quantity of production happening on 10nm - but strictly for low-power devices like their smartphones at this point, and they're eating ALL of the output so far.
 Intel is supposed to FINALLY be shipping their first 10nm products next year - but the date keeps slipping.....

Manufacturing efficiency for both is probably going to be VERY poor on anything they manage to ship at 10nm next year - it takes TIME to dial a new process in, and it seems to take longer every time a legitimate "shrink" happens TO get the new process dialed in.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 09:53:52 PM

Anyone managed to take the settings further with even better results / esp on linux?

Probably card dependent, and seems to at least in part be mining software dependent.

It DOES look like the best efficiency point on EBWF is at 104 watts not 106, but it's so close it could be an artifact of measurement limits.

I tried pushing core and memory harder on one of my EVGA SC cards, but stability went bad very quickly above the +200 core and +700 memory settings (which was an unreported part of my original testing).
 That however might vary with the specific card and probably with the model of GPU.

I'm not waiting, as I'm not convinced that the Volta versions of the 10xx series cards will be a LOT more efficient.
 10% probably, 20% maybe, 30% I'd bet against - we're still on the same process node, just "process improvements" and perhaps some additional minor optimisations to the designs are all we're likely to see - think of "RX 4xx vs RX 5xx" level changes being the most likely.

Hint - "12nm" isn't a new node, it's enhancements to a current 16nm node process with a "new name" as strictly an ADVERTISING point.

Samsung does seem to have some VERY small quantity of production happening on 10nm - but strictly for low-power devices like their smartphones at this point, and they're eating ALL of the output so far.
 Intel is supposed to FINALLY be shipping their first 10nm products next year - but the date keeps slipping.....

Manufacturing efficiency for both is probably going to be VERY poor on anything they manage to ship at 10nm next year - it takes TIME to dial a new process in, and it seems to take longer every time a legitimate "shrink" happens TO get the new process dialed in.

To be honest I wouldn’t be sad if the Volta cards dont bring a huge jump in performance and efficiency as this would mean that the 10xx series remains relvant for another 2 years. Nobody with 15-20 cards plus will replace all of them with the new generation right away  as it would be super pricy.

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 11:33:49 PM

Hello no they wont.  I have 60 6-7 card Nvidia 1070 / 1070ti rigs.  I'm not moving for a long time.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
Sledge0001

Activity: 582
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 12:55:18 AM

Okay @VoskCoin my wife was starting to hate you until I showed her the $100 every 2 days coming in!!!

I love your videos and appreciate you guiding the novice miner like me through the confusing world of alt coin madness.

I am now off to build a 8 x 1070TI SC rig. First 2 cards, 1600W T2 and Frame have been ordered!

This will compliment my 2  - 9 x 1060 3GB rigs and 1 x 8 1080 rig most likely I will be out of power taps in my garage!! Smiley

ambien22

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 01:09:02 AM

After following your videos and doing a lot of research I've invested in a beginner 6 card 1070 ti SC rig. Mainly due to high electricity costs. I'm looking forward to building the rig! Thanks for the great content.
swongsR1thing

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:45:28 AM

Does it matter what brand?
Local seller has gigabyte 1070ti gaming.

Btw, great thread as far as this gpu goes. Can anyone share some 1070ti vs vega 56 thoughts?
jrrccmining

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:49:43 PM

Btw, great thread as far as this gpu goes. Can anyone share some 1070ti vs vega 56 thoughts?

I have been using the ASUS Strix brand and am very happy with the results. Below are two 6xGPU rigs. "Miner" is 6xAsus Strix GTX 1080s (5 are A8G and 1 is 08G) and "Miner1070TI" is 6xAsus Strix GTX 1070Tis (all are A8G). I have been able to get my 1070Tis running neck and neck with my 1080s. They use 20-25 less watts per card and run 7-9C cooler.

https://imgur.com/fEtA1aV
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:23:42 PM

I refuse to buy anything else Gigabyte other than POSSIBLY Aorus models, due to the junk fans they use.
 That SPECIFICALLY includes their "gaming" models.

Anything that uses ball-bearing fans should be fine.

Vega 56 right now, IF you can find them for anywhere near MSRP, are more profitable per $ due to their massive ability on Monero - but are a MUCH bigger nightmare to get set up and running at max hashrate, AND require the use of Windows 10 to do so at this time.
 However, at the current GOUGE pricing when you can find the cards (OR the 64) at all, they're at best a tossup with a 1070 ti rig on return for dollar invested, but a little better on return per watt used at current relative profitability levels for the cards IF both are run at efficient settings.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 09:09:53 PM

Hell I'd sell my 7 x Vegas for 1K each if i was not so lazy haha.  plenty of peeps out there that would buy them, its nuts

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 09:31:20 PM

I ordered a MSI Gaming X 1070 Ti version now - there was a small rebate on them. Can't wait to get it as I only read good stuff about that model so far (my GB Gaming G1 has no outstanding performance whatsoever).

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
ThunderousDreamer

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:39:56 AM

Zotac Mini in the 1070ti or 1080 models (I don't have their 1070 mini and I have severe worry issues about cooling on the 1080 ti model) both work quite well - but I have no idea if the fans are ball-bearing so I'm not buying any more.

1080 is a little marginal on cooling if you push it but better than the blower-type cards by a nose, I've never pushed the 1070 ti version but it should be a tossup on cooling with the 1080 model given the identical TDP.

I just saw a VoskCoin video where his 6 * Zotac 1080 mini manage 3,000 sols (500 sols each). Does this seem a bit low compared to a 1070ti?

DSTM makes a big difference in pushing these numbers further

Speaking of my latest 1070 TI must have different memory than the one I had to sample because my latest batch is not performing as well

currently have it at 200 core 700 mem and 120 watts on DSTM pushing about 4 sols per watt

Hey mate any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've put 200 core 700 mem 120 watts on all 3 my Gagabyte 1070 TI's on SMOS but all three are hovering around 450 sols only?
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 03:47:13 AM

In bitsbetripping Volta titan's testing on youtube, it does 6sols/w at the most efficient setting. Max overclocked was 900sols/s. Given that volta titan has 5120 cores, and 1070ti has 2432, it's about linear scaling in performance to cuda cores and 33% more efficient. Maybe the titan is less efficient compared to volta x70/x80 like how 1080ti is less efficient than 1070ti. Best case scenario it does 7 or 8 sols/w.

Very decent jump, but not worth the few months wait when rigs pay themselves back in 4 months.
East113

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:55:27 AM

Zotac Mini in the 1070ti or 1080 models (I don't have their 1070 mini and I have severe worry issues about cooling on the 1080 ti model) both work quite well - but I have no idea if the fans are ball-bearing so I'm not buying any more.

1080 is a little marginal on cooling if you push it but better than the blower-type cards by a nose, I've never pushed the 1070 ti version but it should be a tossup on cooling with the 1080 model given the identical TDP.

I just saw a VoskCoin video where his 6 * Zotac 1080 mini manage 3,000 sols (500 sols each). Does this seem a bit low compared to a 1070ti?

Speaking of my latest 1070 TI must have different memory than the one I had to sample because my latest batch is not performing as well

currently have it at 200 core 700 mem and 120 watts on DSTM pushing about 4 sols per watt

Hey mate any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've put 200 core 700 mem 120 watts on all 3 my Gagabyte 1070 TI's on SMOS but all three are hovering around 450 sols only?

I believe the 450 range is what they run out with stock settings. When I first started using SMOS a week ago it was almost like the OC settings I was putting in were not taking, then all of a sudden they started working. I was stuck around 440-450. Then I did a reboot for the who knows what time and it jumped to the 500-510 range on 200/750 if I'm not mistaken.

Personally I'm going to moving away from SMOS as I've had nothing but issues with little help on solving them. Just haven't researched nvOC enough to be comfortable with it. Currently I'm mining just fine with the SMOS installed however it says my rig is offline through their dashboard, which is cool, cause I'm just using their os without paying their fee right now since I cannot get much help from the dev.
ThunderousDreamer

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 03:58:11 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 04:11:59 AM by ThunderousDreamer

I believe the 450 range is what they run out with stock settings. When I first started using SMOS a week ago it was almost like the OC settings I was putting in were not taking, then all of a sudden they started working. I was stuck around 440-450. Then I did a reboot for the who knows what time and it jumped to the 500-510 range on 200/750 if I'm not mistaken.

Personally I'm going to moving away from SMOS as I've had nothing but issues with little help on solving them. Just haven't researched nvOC enough to be comfortable with it. Currently I'm mining just fine with the SMOS installed however it says my rig is offline through their dashboard, which is cool, cause I'm just using their os without paying their fee right now since I cannot get much help from the dev.

Thank you, I rebooted the rig and reloaded the miner a couple times already but no difference. I'm also not using --pec, as I was trying to mimic what Vosk was doing to see if i could get similar results, still hovering around 450-460 weird enough.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:24:12 AM

I tried Hive it's got a lot of great features and the dev is actual much more responsive that smos' - wifi and new miner support is important, and new miner support on smos is nearly non existent. I've been waiting for Alexis78 for almost a year to no avail.
East113

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:49:35 AM

I tried Hive it's got a lot of great features and the dev is actual much more responsive that smos' - wifi and new miner support is important, and new miner support on smos is nearly non existent. I've been waiting for Alexis78 for almost a year to no avail.

How long have you been using Hive? I've looked at that as well, it looks to be a nice OS.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:08:07 AM

Only have 1 rig on it - using it for a week now, it's not bad at all.

At the end of the day though I'm going back to windows. I see absolutely no reason to change - I have zero rig stability issues w/windows and now that ethmonitoring and minerstat offer bulk config/wallet updates windows just gives me much more flexibility that linux so that's that.
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:57:08 AM

Thank you, I rebooted the rig and reloaded the miner a couple times already but no difference. I'm also not using --pec, as I was trying to mimic what Vosk was doing to see if i could get similar results, still hovering around 450-460 weird enough.

hey, my 1070ti is doing about 530 sol/s on PL 90 lelvel
they are palits duals, core is +150, mem is + 300
the trick here is to use mvidia inspector and turn P2 - off
that will allow you to get more hashrate
ThunderousDreamer

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 06:11:09 AM

hey, my 1070ti is doing about 530 sol/s on PL 90 lelvel
they are palits duals, core is +150, mem is + 300
the trick here is to use mvidia inspector and turn P2 - off
that will allow you to get more hashrate

That's really impressive! I don't think I can run Nvidia inspector on SimpleMining OS though, can I?
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:36:53 AM

Got 4 cards arriving today.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: