Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:52:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some ICOs not allow American investors?  (Read 480 times)
HealthSecurities (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:14:42 AM

I've seen many ICOs that do not allow American investors and not sure why. Is there a reason for something like this?
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:19:29 AM

cuz you don't wanna deal with the US legal system.. if an ICO blocks US people, its safer for the project/company/organization/protocol/etc.
HealthSecurities (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:25:35 AM

cuz you don't wanna deal with the US legal system.. if an ICO blocks US people, its safer for the project/company/organization/protocol/etc.

So if a US crypto start up doesn't allow US investors, it might not be a scam?

I thought any US crypto start up that doesnt allow US investors must be a scam
gidaahmad

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:34:14 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2017, 05:03:53 AM by gidaahmad

Yes, I've seen ICO which also blocked IP Address USA. Incidentally I also follow the ICO bounty program. I still do not understand clearly. They never mentioned the reason but I forgot. However, this will be different if US investors use other countries' VPNs to access the ICO. Honestly I want to know the obvious reason.
LoveInThisCryptoClub

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:34:40 AM

I've seen many American-based companies that don't allow American investors for ICOs.

I've been involved in a few. You can have someone trusted overseas get them for you. I found a nice gentleman in a telegram chat.
ZaoXhou

Activity: 467
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:36:50 AM

I've seen many American-based companies that don't allow American investors for ICOs.

I've been involved in a few. You can have someone trusted overseas get them for you. I found a nice gentleman in a telegram chat.

But it's not like it's all of the sudden legal? Or isn't it illegal to begin with, do these ico's have to reject us residents?
HealthSecurities (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:38:21 AM

I see. My biggest concern was them being scam coins, but if that's the case I was gravely mistaken.
LoveInThisCryptoClub

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:40:54 AM

Yes, I've seen ICON which also blocked IP Address USA. Incidentally I also follow the ICO bounty program. I still do not understand clearly. They never mentioned the reason but I forgot. However, this will be different if US investors use other countries' VPNs to access the ICO. Honestly I want to know the obvious reason.

Or you can use a VPN like this user... No idea why I never thought of that myself lol
HealthSecurities (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:45:55 AM

But it's not like it's all of the sudden legal? Or isn't it illegal to begin with, do these ico's have to reject us residents?

If someone can answer this question, I'd be in their debt!
LoveInThisCryptoClub

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:48:53 AM

I might be wrong about this but I think you have to register your ICO with a certain govt agency to make it legal. Look at the dragonchain ICO, allowed american investors but it was also registered with some US agency.
Munz77

Activity: 167

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:49:55 AM

I've seen many ICOs that do not allow American investors and not sure why. Is there a reason for something like this?

Mostly all ICO's are scams, ideas that don't actually require tokens or the development teams are eastern bloc mobsters. Its the equivalent of the nigerian scams of the late 90's. USA is just first to regulate, more will follow and all that will be left are 3rd world countries that don't give a damn about their citizens.
GreenRivers

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:58:29 AM

American ICOs are regulated and you have to pay a fee to register and even then you might not get approved.

So much easier for these people to make it outside the USA and have USA investors use a proxy or have someone buy it for them.

It really doesn't change much if US investors aren't allowed. Most companies meet their goals and American investors who want the tokens bad enough will find a way.
LoveInThisCryptoClub

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:59:49 AM

Mostly all ICO's are scams, ideas that don't actually require tokens or the development teams are eastern bloc mobsters. Its the equivalent of the nigerian scams of the late 90's. USA is just first to regulate, more will follow and all that will be left are 3rd world countries that don't give a damn about their citizens.

That's not true. I'd say 20% of ICO are scams, the others are legit trying to build a company. Some ICOs though have repetitive or horrible ideas so no one invests.
HealthSecurities (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 05:02:24 AM

It is easy to spot a scam though - usually the idea has been around already and there is absolutely no mention of a team or Linkedin profiles.

But how about those companies that have all that information but no US investors? They don't seem like scams at all, but the no US investor part puts me off a bit.

By the way, what do you mean by eastern bloc mobsters?
Munz77

Activity: 167

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:46:48 AM

By the way, what do you mean by eastern bloc mobsters?

Check out cartaxi ICO, you will see what i mean. Perfect example of scam that will come undone anytime in the next 6 months.
DroidR17A

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:52:22 AM

It doesn't necessarily mean that the ICO is a scam, but it does mean they are trying to bypass a securities rating, and should be viewed as a high risk investment. The same reason a lot of new tokens are distributing by airdops and campaigns, except there's no financial risk for the consumer with the drop/bounty option.
anzach87

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:18:19 AM

us gov allow you only to breath Smiley some times
moala

Activity: 96

Moirai ICO starts on 10/11/2017

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 09:38:42 AM

SEC has banned ICOs because 90% of ICOs are scams

kaizer28

Activity: 122

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:05:16 AM

Many or most foreign brokerage houses and banks refuse to deal with U.S. persons because of the onerous compliance requirements. As the author quite correctly states near the end of the article

"FATCA requirements are so restrictive and obtrusive that many foreign banks and financial institutions just refuse to do business with American customers.
cryptopussies

Activity: 196

HEXCASH - Decentralized Fun

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:13:47 AM

Because theres a lot of irregularities in most ICOs and the SEC has banned the ICOs.

Website            ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇ VELOX ◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ ANN Thread
Whitepaper     The Future of Anonymous Trading      ◆ Twitter       
Discord             ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ Telegram   
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: