Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 05:15:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BFL-Chip Groupbuy] $27,5/chip 50% - BTC,PayPal,SEPA - 420 sold, 0/100 batch #4  (Read 41602 times)
one4many

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:28:33 AM

OK it was a crazy day at work... 15 hours... My boss is a slave driver but I shouldn't talk that way about him since it is me Smiley Sorry didn't had time for computer model pictures... Did my best to answer all PM questions and I'm sorry if I got fostered with anyone. But I will live you with some good news. This is a picture of the order that sample chip donor did.
http://s12.postimg.org/66x8yk3a5/BFL_100chips_Order_edit.png

So samples are on there way... Many thanks again one4many...

Now I'm really sorry but it is time for slipping...

You are welcome Lucko!

So, as stated by Lucko, I'm going to support this project to get a board of the ground rather sooner than later.
As always ... Butterflylabs is going to be the great unknown in this equation. So let's hope they keep their promise for the sample chips.

My plan is to pay Lucko actually a visit or two and make some photos and write a small report on how he is doing and document some progress.
First visit would be me, delivering the sample chips in person.
The second is to document a working prototype with the sample chips ... And (if possible) how a look at some sort of production line.

As written before, I like to see that this project is going to be successful. But for that it needed the critical mass of a 100 chips (I'm going to supply now).
So why did I pick this project?
a) Lucko seems to be a very dedicated person to me. But more importantly he is NOT trying to stir too many pots. Meaning developing boards for 3 different kinds of chips (Avalon, BitFury, BFL) ... He is focusing on one and that means the probability for success is significantly higher.
b) Everyone seems to have lost faith in BFL, and I can understand that. But I started my own company a few years back (it is sold now ... and no I'm not a millionaire now) and can understand how difficult it can be to get funds, as well as satisfied customers. Most customers are like unbehaved little children, especially in the end-customers business. If you let them get to you with their kicking and screaming, it can be hard to be calm and just focus on the information you try to transport in a message without a notion of bias against those screamers.
I essentially see this investment as an adventure with a relatively low risk. All we need to get are the chips from BFL ... and apparently they have them!  Smiley Otherwise they would not have started shipping their huge backlog of orders.
I can foresee the next public outcry already, when someone is receiving their chips before the last pre-order has been shipped by BFL. In my eyes they have two different products (chips and working hashing units), so a shipping of just chips sooner rather than later should not be a problem. Except for all the cry-babies who don't understand that in a company every component on a shelf is a big MINUS in your (financial) books as well as a liability (image a fire destroys all of them). It seems honorable for BFL to wait until pre-orders have been shipped, but it is against every law in a free market economy.
c) I'm in Europe ... Lucky is in Europe ... that's a no brainer.
d) BFL chips offer the most hashing power compared to price and size ... yet anybody else to provide a better product (and not just promises of a v2) ... keep in mind nobody is shipping chips in a sizable amount yet

Ok ... this text got longer than I anticipated ... but I hope it clarifies some things.
Feel free to ask me anything. Rude or disrespectful messages are like to be ignored unless you humor me in a very bizarre way  Cheesy

All the best!

one4many 
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:36:40 AM

Thanks for the long heads-up, one4many! I'm following your plans and progress closely and I'm very interested in them. As for me, I've already pre-ordered 16 chips, that's the reason I'm currently not participating in this group-buy, but I'm nevertheless interested in your boards to put my chips to use . As stated earlier, the 1 chip sticks (with possible external power supply) are interesting! I'd also love small boards (maybe 2 chips) that run without active cooling, just sophisticated heatsinks. (which is the reason I also love the idea of the 1 chip stick). So these things would definitely be a primary option for my chips!

Keep up the good work and keep us informed!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Lucko (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:50:55 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 03:57:19 PM by Lucko

I don't know how to put this one down. But since there is no record I will record on forum. Got 300€ in chash(yesterday meeting) and request to get as much as I can't out. And tell how much he needs to get... So I publicly given out how it is going to be done. Customer is MK

300€=390$

390$ = 12 chips at 50%
12 credits = 0.6(guessing)

So 12 chips for MK.

EDIT: We are on 48 Smiley
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:44:46 PM

So, as stated by Lucko, I'm going to support this project to get a board of the ground rather sooner than later.
As always ... Butterflylabs is going to be the great unknown in this equation. So let's hope they keep their promise for the sample chips.

I was thinking in destroying my Jalapeno to get them if necessary but thanks to you it will probably live Smiley

My plan is to pay Lucko actually a visit or two and make some photos and write a small report on how he is doing and document some progress.
First visit would be me, delivering the sample chips in person.
The second is to document a working prototype with the sample chips ... And (if possible) how a look at some sort of production line.
Production line is outsourced... But with enough notice I can probably get you there or I can make you a video... And yes... If you have Jalapeno you can bring it with you(or if any of your friends has it). We will upgraded it to 8gh Smiley It is simple... But I guess you will lost warranty.

And thanks for all the nice words...
rsbriggs

Activity: 427
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:29:35 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 12:20:41 AM by rsbriggs

OK.  So quoting my brother and me 12 more BFL chips along with needing chip credits.  We paying in BTC.  He in USA is where boards will be shipping.

We will buying 12 more chips per week until having enough so group buy can be going.  You will giving us great deal on PCBs and assembly for this doing, no?

We most interested in 4 chip 16 Gh/s boards modular/stackable, but 1 or 2 chip single might be interested if cheap enough.  Whatever is putting chips to work hashing sooner is what we are wanting.
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 01:58:06 PM

Don't worry big buyers will get some discounts... And we are looking how to make boards to your liking Smiley It is a small change so I think we can accommodate you...

And since we have 120W power supply on board(50% more then BFL that was realised) I'm getting more confident in saying that 6 chips will work. Maybe even 8... But I'm afraid of the fact that BFL had problems that they didn't see. It is same chip so why did they had them? But theoretical max for this board should be 10 chips but it has only place for 8 chips...
rsbriggs

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:18:27 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 05:07:14 PM by rsbriggs

Don't worry big buyers will get some discounts... And we are looking how to make boards to your liking Smiley It is a small change so I think we can accommodate you...

And since we have 120W power supply on board(50% more then BFL that was realised) I'm getting more confident in saying that 6 chips will work. Maybe even 8... But I'm afraid of the fact that BFL had problems that they didn't see. It is same chip so why did they had them? But theoretical max for this board should be 10 chips but it has only place for 8 chips...

Board with 8 chips sounding pretty awesome, let's get going, yes?

If board having own power supply, not so necessary to allow for stacking.  Whole point of stacking was to allowing single PSU to be powering 8 boards using standard modular PSU and standard cables.    

And how big *is* board?  Power supply building onto board will needing very large caps and inductors, no?  Is big supply to be making 5V @ 24 amp, yes??   Everyone else using separate standard PSU for good reason - isolation of switching noise from rest of circuit and besides single PSU cheap. Components to building ones own big stable switcher 8 times for each one of 8 boards maybe not nearly so cheap as one PSU powering same 8 boards.  And you really wanting to be in board business, not PSU business I thinking.

And board will be needing 8 heat sinks and fans?  One on each chip?
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:23:36 PM

Board with 8 chips sounding pretty awesome, let's get going, yes?

If board having own power supply, not so necessary to allow for stacking.  Whole point of stacking was to allow single PSU to be powering 8 boards using standard modular PSU and standard cables.    

And how big *is* board?  Power supply building onto board will needing very large caps and inductors, no?  Is big supply to be making 5V @ 24 amp, yes??   Everyone else using separate standard PSU for good reason - isolation of switching noise from rest of circuit and besides single PSU cheap. Components to building ones own big stable switcher 8 times for each one of 8 boards maybe not nearly so cheap as one PSU powering same 8 boards.

And board will be needing 8 heat sinks and fans?  One on each chip?

It is not like that. I was talking about 1V power supplay. Chips are runing at that voltage. So you would still need 12V of PSU...

Heat sinks. One for all. If we go to 8 per board(96W) you will need GPU cooler or hi end CPU cooler for sure. 6(72W) would it be posible with good CPU cooler and 4(48W) is any CPU cooler... So the board has 24W additional power just in case with 8 chips. You might use it for overclocking if there will be no suprise... I'm looking how in add this in the system... But for now I will say only that I'm sure it will run with 4 chips but on paper it should run with 8 overclocked...
rsbriggs

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:36:00 PM

Boards will have connector allowing for CPU cooler to attach?  Could easily use low end water cooling system like Astek 510LC if so.  Using same on my overclocked 6 core AMD CPUs and is working sufficiently.  Those CPUs running at 100+ watts.  Maybe separate into two 4 chip groups?

Ok excited to get order bought and boards done.  I happy with 4 chips, running SOON.
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:48:51 PM

Boards will have connector allowing for CPU cooler to attach?  Could easily use low end water cooling system like Astek 510LC if so.  Using same on my overclocked 6 core AMD CPUs and is working sufficiently.  Those CPUs running at 100+ watts.  Maybe separate into two 4 chip groups?

Ok excited to get order bought and boards done.  I happy with 4 chips, running SOON.
From what I see Astek 510LC should work...

4 chips groups(like K16) would take more space and make more complicated board. The way we are going you will be able to "make" K16 like board. You will need 2 power and communication modules and 4 chips modules... Not sure if you will need 1 PCI-e or two per set of 2 boards jet... depends on number of chips. But since we also need 5 V in there there is a chance you will need molex (or sata) and PCI-e... Need to look at PSU out there to see if this will be a problem...
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:09:25 PM

OK 8 more sold...

And 24 in a pipeline...

So with some luck we can get last 20 soon...
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 10:23:34 PM

Interested but would like more (solid) info on total price of board incl assembly before joining the GB

Same here and I do not like the timelines from BFL.

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:47:21 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 11:02:07 PM by Lucko

Interested but would like more (solid) info on total price of board incl assembly before joining the GB

Same here and I do not like the timelines from BFL.
Complicity understand. But without risk you can also loss big. Avalon chips buyers started the same way but now they are selling extra chips for 2 times the value...
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 05:34:23 AM

I think I'm in for 44 chips. What country are you in? What country will boards be in?
Will I have to pay shipping from you to boards to me?
Will we get boards at cost?

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:50:24 AM

I have been promised a quote for the board on Wednesday. But from my experiences I would say end of the week.

I'm in Slovenia, boards will be made in Slovenia.

You will need to pay for shipping. Cost depends where you are and how much you will buy.

Boards will be close to cost but not there. Buyers who didn't buy chips hire will have higher price(5$ per chip) but in case of big orders there will be discounts. GB buyers will probably be paying about 5 to 10$ more per board then it will cost me to make it(all the work on firmware and something for the designer of the board and for test boards)
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 08:51:31 AM

So only 1 shipping cost? boards from you to me?

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:53:33 AM

So only 1 shipping cost? boards from you to me?
Yes the rest will be my cost... And if you are EU don't forget about VAT.

EDIT: But I can't tell you how much it will be since that will be calculated based on declared value...
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 08:59:00 AM

Ok I'll do 44 chips. With coupons, 50%

44 * 0.29 BTC = 12.76 btc

MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:13:09 AM

I will be in for 32 chips.
I have my own credits.

Will get the BTC over Tuesday at the latest.

32 * .29 BTC  =  9.28 BTC

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:19:10 AM

OK. Now I'm at work so I can't give you BTC address to pay me. I will send it to you as soon as I get home(I don't have client on my work computer and can't connect to my home computer since it is offline). I will need to move my found to BTC anyway before that. I was planing of using Paypal but now I see BTC will be best probably... I will PM you as soon as I came home.

EDIT: MikeMike same for you...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: