Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:29:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BFL-Chip Groupbuy] $27,5/chip 50% - BTC,PayPal,SEPA - 420 sold, 0/100 batch #4  (Read 41572 times)
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:02:41 PM

From reading what he has written, I don't have much confidence in chip99.  I have more confidence in Mr. Teal - his prototype board picture looks more like what I would expect.. 

It has been some years since I worked as an electronics tech, but I can tell by looking at it that the Jala board was probably designed by someone with lots of theoretical knowledge but not much practical design experience - the parts count is way too high for what the board does.
Lucko (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:38:54 PM

From reading what he has written, I don't have much confidence in chip99.  I have more confidence in Mr. Teal - his prototype board picture looks more like what I would expect.. 

It has been some years since I worked as an electronics tech, but I can tell by looking at it that the Jala board was probably designed by someone with lots of theoretical knowledge but not much practical design experience - the parts count is way too high for what the board does.
I'm too a but worried that he used a different IC... He might have problems with firmware(he admitted that) but other then that and the price board looks good. But it looks like the price is not that hi... I have got quotes for mounting chips... First prices I got were way off. It looks like it will cost about the same as all components to mount 8 chips on board so this is extra 50 to 80€(need a sample to give me exact number) more per board.

And my friend told me that at the start. This board is to complicated. Well it is a good thing he didn't listen to me 100% and did some work on a new board... But for now we will take Jala to the stage and see what are problems since this board should be theoretically capable of taking 8 chips... Than we will see if there will be time to make board from screech or use one we planed from start...
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:55:27 PM

Reading both threads of MrTeal's and chris99's, MrTeal is slightly ahead of chris99 in terms of development.

I'll still like to try both with 4 chips each  Smiley
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:39:42 PM

Why would you do that? You can put 8 on one and it will cost much less... And take MrTeal's. It has Intel programmable power supply so you can overvoltage it easy and if I understand it correctly it will also be possible to control clock directly over firmware... chris99 told me they will not change firmware so you will get much more out of chips... That means only with programmer unit you can change a way clock are set...

But this is where over plans compeer to chris99 are different. We will modified firmware to make it possible to change clocks... And you will be able to change voltage with potentiometer... But this is in case we don't change all... Jala experiment will tell all...
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:42:09 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 11:15:02 PM by Lucko

Look what came out of my team... Now I know why it took so long for changes to BFL board... Anyway this is what happen behind my back... So if it turns out working...

Now this picture is not completely finished board... And some components are just put on... But this is a surprise I just got on mail...

I know but power supply is just a test version... Real will have PCI-e... So don't worry...

Now we will do 2 tests Smiley I do hope that this board will work since it will cost less...
Min€r

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 08:59:57 PM

Look what came out of my team... Now I know why it took so long for changes to BFL board...

Now this picture is not completely finished board... And some components are just put on... But this is a surprise I just got on mail...

I know but power supply is just a test version... Real will have PCI-e... So don't worry...

Now we will do 2 tests Smiley I do hope that this board will work since it will cost less...

Awesome work :-)

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 09:13:42 PM

And since I wasn't asked for an € I think it was done in house... That is even better news... Will know more tomorrow...
-Redacted-

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

I see at least one solder bridge.   You might need to get out your Exacto-knife and clean that up...  Smiley
GrapeApe

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:58:59 PM

I see at least one solder bridge.   You might need to get out your Exacto-knife and clean that up...  Smiley
I may have to break out the glasses. Can you describe where you see the bridge?
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:00:23 PM

COM USB chip? Left bottom? Is that it? Will forward that... Thanks...
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 11:57:28 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 12:27:20 AM by Lucko

OK I jumped a gun a bit. This board we could use but it was found not made by us. It was found when looking on forums, IRC... working on ours... They agreed licencing if we can provide enough samples chips for test run... Well anyway we have 1 in-house project and one outsourced but adopted as ours and we will work together on it... So we have one more front open...

They just write that they have a board and will give me more info tomorrow but didn't add it is not ours. Now when I send them info on that solder bridge I got back you didn't publish anything jet right? They forgot that I don't sleep that much...
-Redacted-

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:21:12 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 01:34:05 AM by -Redacted-

Big chip just under the Bitcoin symbol.  Top row.  Count over from the right about 8 pins, just below the open via next to the closed one.  Looks like a solder bridge between the two pins about 1/2 way up from the chip.  I used to fix these kinds of things for a living - things like that jump out at me.  

Of course it could just be an optical illusion caused by the way the picture was taken.  You need a magnifier and the actual board to be able to tell.  And yes, bottom right chip - left hand side bottom two pins look bridged, too.
form

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:11:16 AM

Big chip just under the Bitcoin symbol.  Top row.  Count over from the right about 8 pins, just below the open via next to the closed one.  Looks like a solder bridge between the two pins about 1/2 way up from the chip.

Hi,
that bridges are intended to be so - these pins are connected in the schematic/layout, too (power-rails).
Here are some new pictures from today. Ignore the BFGMiner-Errors, because hashing is difficult without chips Grin

http://my.root4u.de/COINADO/proto_top.jpg
http://my.root4u.de/COINADO/proto_bot.jpg
http://my.root4u.de/COINADO/talking_to_firmware.png
http://my.root4u.de/COINADO/bfgminer.png

Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:39:26 AM

I would like to say hi and thanks for joining us... Much appreciated...
ElitePork
Donator

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:35:51 PM

Why would you do that? You can put 8 on one and it will cost much less... And take MrTeal's. It has Intel programmable power supply so you can overvoltage it easy and if I understand it correctly it will also be possible to control clock directly over firmware... chris99 told me they will not change firmware so you will get much more out of chips... That means only with programmer unit you can change a way clock are set...

But this is where over plans compeer to chris99 are different. We will modified firmware to make it possible to change clocks... And you will be able to change voltage with potentiometer... But this is in case we don't change all... Jala experiment will tell all...
I'm more to a small investor where I tends to invest in different items. e.g. boards from you and other board developers. I personally don't like to put everything at one area. I just wanna make use of my 8 chip coupons before i call it an end to invest on BFL items.

Big chip just under the Bitcoin symbol.  Top row.  Count over from the right about 8 pins, just below the open via next to the closed one.  Looks like a solder bridge between the two pins about 1/2 way up from the chip.  I used to fix these kinds of things for a living - things like that jump out at me. 

Of course it could just be an optical illusion caused by the way the picture was taken.  You need a magnifier and the actual board to be able to tell.  And yes, bottom right chip - left hand side bottom two pins look bridged, too.
U got my respect there. Good eyesight!

Look what came out of my team... Now I know why it took so long for changes to BFL board... Anyway this is what happen behind my back... So if it turns out working...

<image cleared>

This will be the best update ever. Thanks for the good work!
-Redacted-

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:28:02 PM

I would like to say hi and thanks for joining us... Much appreciated...

I'd like to echo that sentiment!  The pictures are much appreciated!  As is the humor - turning electricity into heat and Bitcoins....  Cheesy
GrapeApe

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:57:42 PM

So they are putting 8 chips on that board?  I was just curious, I don't mean to sound sceptical. If so that’s awesome.
Lucko (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:34:13 PM

So they are putting 8 chips on that board?  I was just curious, I don't mean to sound sceptical. If so that’s awesome.
form correct me if I'm wrong but for 8 probably there is not enough power in this board right? This one is for test and you can add additional power supplys on it. Right?
form

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:43:09 PM

form correct me if I'm wrong but for 8 probably there is not enough power in this board right? This one is for test and you can add additional power supplys on it. Right?

Yes, this power module (that plug-in module behind the ATX-connector) can probably supply up to four of the chips. When we run all tests we will see how many current is flowing, and the final board will get a bigger module or two of them.
GrapeApe

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:51:41 PM

Yes, this power module (that plug-in module behind the ATX-connector) can probably supply up to four of the chips. When we run all tests we will see how many current is flowing, and the final board will get a bigger module or two of them.
I like it. I'm anxiously awaiting the test results.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: