Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:49:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bitcoin-fueled, anonymous, decentralized 'The Onion' : bitbanter.com  (Read 739 times)
FlailFast (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:44:21 PM

Check it out here: http://www.bitbanter.com/
Its Twitterbot: http://twitter.com/bitbanters/
Me on the Twitters: http://twitter.com/flailfast/

New to the forums, but longtime bitcoin watcher and general rabble-rouser. For more background on the site, click on 'pi' in the header (I hope it's a mildly entertaining read). Some other details below:

1) Built with Meteor.js and Coinbase; happy to talk through implementation challenges if anyone's interested.

2) The lofty goal behind Bitbanter: reduce barriers between (potentially anonymous) satirists and consumers while forgoing the traditional data collection/ad model. Besides the data a user voluntarily submits, zero data collection goes on (even bitcoin amounts come straight from the blockchain). I'm not 100% opposed to Big Data, but to me there's a strong philosophical argument for unbundling content from advertising and trying something "pure."

3) The less lofty goal behind Bitbanter: I love making people laugh, and wanted a place to showcase and scale my satire. But blogs are boring, so I made this instead.

4) Yes, I'm aware that at scale there are some huge problems with the way articles are promoted (e.g. spam, someone with big pockets could push an article to the top and my whole anti-bundling-ads argument goes to shit). Still thinking through those issues, but figured they wouldn't matter as long as the site was tiny.

5) Man bitcoin is cool. Without bitcoin, it would have been much, much more difficult (I think impossible, but I have a small mind) to build a platform where people can post things anonymously and get value from others seamlessly (I was definitely inspired by the reddit bitcoin tipper bot). Even if this f(l)ails, I'm pretty excited about bitcoin's future. There are more nascent bitcoin ideas on Earth than are dreamt of in my philosophy...and I'd love to see them.

Let me know what you think! Feedback/insults always welcome.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:49:21 PM

This needs a lot of work. In the humour department.
PerfectAgent

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Still the Best 1973

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:55:49 PM

This needs a lot of work. In the humour department.

Buuuuurrrrrrn

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle
BTC Address: 14qkEkmoWQbgF4EMB6F5m8p3LU1D8UK32D ||||||||||| NMC Address: N8xv7xXnLnRgSvQCRK9vwndsH2HBAifs3C
FlailFast (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 09:04:27 PM

Does anyone know any Burn Trauma Centers that accept bitcoins? Someone should update that Wikipedia article...

But I totally agree, unkind Internet stranger. If I'm the only one posting jokes, it'll fail harder than fiat (I had an alternate "your mother" joke here but we both know it would have sucked). That's why anyone can post! Feel free to 1up me, in satire, message board posts...anything really.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: