Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:55:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you look for in a legitimate ICO?  (Read 388 times)
GreenRivers (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:16:19 AM

After getting burned a few times, I'm beginning to think my research methods suck...

What do you guys look for in good ICOs that show legitimacy and good growth potential?
HealthSecurities

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:18:24 AM

Just do what I'm doing. Pick an industry - in my case healthcare, and invest evenly in all the ICOs (with some research). One of them will hit it big for sure!

The healthcare industry is untapped in blockchain.
GreenRivers (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:22:44 AM

Just do what I'm doing. Pick an industry - in my case healthcare, and invest evenly in all the ICOs (with some research). One of them will hit it big for sure!

What do you do for research?
HealthSecurities

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:37:06 AM

What do you do for research?

Always read the whitepaper and see if idea is revolutionary. If the team shows their faces, another good sign.
jezus

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 08:03:24 AM

What do you think they are doing with money from ico?

█████████████████████████████████████████
██                                     ██
██ █████████████▄ ▀███████████████████ ██
██ ██          ▀██▄ ▀██▄            ██ ██
██ ██            ▀██▄ ▀██▄          ██ ██
██ ██              ▀██▄ ▀██▄        ██ ██
██ ██                ▀██▄ ▀██▄  ▄▄████ ██
██ ██                  ▀██▄ ▀████▀▀    ██
██ ██                    ▀██▄ ▀▀ ▄████ ██
██ ██▄                     ▀██  ██  ██ ██
██ █████▄                 ▄▄██  ██  ██ ██
██     ▀███▄        ▄▄██████▀ ▄▄ ▀████ ██
██ ████▄ ▀▀██ ▄▄██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄████▄▄    ██
██ ██  ██  ▀███▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀████ ██
██ ██  ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▄           ██ ██
██ ████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄          ██ ██
██   ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█ ██   ██ █▄         ██ ██
██ ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ███████ █████████████ ██
██                                     ██
█████████████████████████████████████████
LASER ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BLOCKCHAIN WITHOUT BORDERS

A BLOCKCHAIN-AGNOSTIC SERVICE LAYER
FOR IMPROVED SPEED, ANONYMITY, AND INTEROPERABILITY
[]
NeoTech42

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:33:17 AM

For a legitimate ICO, look for the white paper and the idea potential first. Too many ideas seem unrealistic and impossible to apply in real life.

Then look if a MVP or prototype has been developed. It's very important. You know they are not here to scam people but to build trust with a real product.

Also a technical team with a background in IT is far better than a major team composed of managers who don't how to program software applications Smiley

P.S I am a software engineer involved in Blockchain and cryptocurrency technologies  Smiley

limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:04:10 AM

read whitepapers, see their teamwork experience, share opinions or ask on announcements threads and within their project social media group.
PalindromemordnilaP

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 10:34:26 AM

For me, i do some research first with the team. Check their background at LinkedIn and then also their website. Once i got to know them whether they're legit or not, i read their white paper then and see if their plan is realizable or not.

xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:40:33 AM

After getting burned a few times, I'm beginning to think my research methods suck...

What do you guys look for in good ICOs that show legitimacy and good growth potential?

First check the project is relevant to use the bitcoin technology and then check their white paper information and blog. That will give more information about the project. So you no need to worry to invest your fund.
If you are more concern to invest your fund in ICO please check all these first and go to invest on it.
If they are using escrow means that is more security for the token distribution.
ceferov

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 11:51:10 AM

I think comparing ICO with other coins/tokens and other ICOs and look for advantages of ICO you are interested then looking the market  and price of similar coins. I think this can help us to gove right decisions

https://www.ETH2X.com - Multiplayer roulette gambling platform.
LydiaBob

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 12:07:54 PM

Always read the White Paper, check on the project if it is legit. Also, check on the team - are they experienced? - Look at the social media presence and their community (usually on a telegram channel). Finally, check if the token is really useful: Can you use it in their platform or is it just a way to raise money?
After some research I found this ICO: https://ico.crowdholding.com/
Have a look and see how a legit project looks like
mashort

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:01:44 PM

apart from whitepaper and team. make sure the team has links to LinkedIn profiles as well any previous work they have done. check and ensure their previous work is legitimate. also look if they have launched something or even a prototype or its just an idea. however i must say that some projects do not have experienced and prototype but still have an amazing concept. at that distance you need to keenly analyse the whitepaper to see if it is passes the technical test. are these guys trying to copy another idea or are they unique. if they are copying is there something unique they are introducing. i also think coins that have community governance are better. all in all it is difficult to know which ones but i think with time, we will develop scam detector with these alts.  
swpceo1

Activity: 104

Swapy Network (www.swapy.network)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 10:47:59 AM

Take a look at their partners and investors.

pat4cryptoreal

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 11:10:49 AM

Knowing a legitimate ICO is very different because  the fake one will be even design a very standard website. But most times the ICO we call scam are not actually scam. Always have in mine that not all the projects will be successful.
scraps

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:07:36 PM

Blockchain technology is about to become common place. The crypto communities designed it, industry has now taken it.

you can't solve a problem, and just expect to be able to work currency into it. Industry do not want coins, they want blockchain.

The only thing worth investing in is Innovation. There has to be a need for a problem to be solved with a currency.
Holla123

Activity: 504
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:18:50 PM

I would not buy into an ICO where you cant check on the team. Also very important is if they have a working product. Do they have a genuine reason to go ICO or does it look like a potential cash grab (like Kin does more and more). If there is experienced people from the blockchain space involved (see Raiden as example), this bodes well. If the ICO is only around an idea I would see that as a warning sign and would check the team very closely.

One more thing. Always check how much hype there is. Quantstamp has 14000 people in their telegram group which is a good indication.
tommy05

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:58:05 PM

First I think if there  project make sense because if not I will definitely  skip investing to that ICO second is there transparency like there team member , if they have linking profile much better so I know they really serious about there project third is there promotions if they willing to spent a large money for there promotions I think that is also a plus for there trustworthiness
margarete11

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:32:41 PM

sorry for your lost but I hope that you learn from that , we can't deny that there was this big ROI when we invest on ICO however keep in mind that not ICO's  are legitimate and some just want to steal your money , so before you invest make sure that you did background check , you check there proposal if it was feasible and lastly if they are a real person , I do this assignments so I could not have  headache again on those scam's ICO so I encourage you to try it also.
Forbiddenone

Activity: 585
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 01:49:10 PM

Previously the ico do not do kyc stuff,they just need fund to raise their project.as there are around 10-20 k blockchain based project every year now a days ,then you should be careful majority of them can be scam.first check the team and their advisor .some do escrow of fund but still those project that do kyc are mostly legimate but still you have to be careful.doing some research before investment is always good.
DigitalFox

Activity: 280
Merit: 28

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 02:21:45 PM

To be honest with general ICO reputation I wouldn't spend my time looking into them. Chances of getting burned are incredibly high.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: