Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:08:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-11-10] Tomatoes are Next Product to Experience Blockchain Revolution  (Read 2069 times)
iamTom123 (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 07:49:03 AM

As tomatoes hit the headlines for the wrong reasons recently, Blockchain startups are adding immutability to the fruit’s international supply chain. The brainchild of ex-Wells Fargo banker Raja Ramachandran and Nasdaq executive Phil Harris, one such startup is aiming to re-imagine the market despite facing criticism. Project manager Caroline Myran told Bloomberg Thursday:

“There’s a lot of fraud in food origins, especially now that it’s hot. People say ‘this is local,’ or ‘this is organic,’ or ‘this is grown using certain practices.’ With this system, you can prove it.”

Italy recently gained significant negative publicity after an investigation revealed mass exploitation at tomato plantations in the country’s south. Through provision of immutable tracking, the industry could soon gain the kind of reputation upgrade Blockchain is currently offering coffee and agriculture. Read more here...

Agriculture is one of the next industries which the blockchain technology is poised to disrupt. As a small-time farmer myself, I think this is one of the greatest news for agriculture so that finally a once-backward industry (especially in the many third-world countries) would be given an opportunity to shine itself.

Food production, s we know it now, has been facing many challenges especially coming from the consumers themselves who are now demanding that the products they are buying are safe, tasty and not laden with poisonous chemicals. There is indeed that need to verify things from seeds down to delivering them to the table of the end-consumers.

I love tomato ketchup, by the way!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: