Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:40:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining farms for heating houses?  (Read 2785 times)
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:20:26 AM

My small mining rig (not farm) was great during winter. It only heated up one room and was a bit noisy and annoying with the lights but it was kind of nice to not have to run the heater so often, and instead be printing money/coins from the comfort of my own home! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:46:38 AM

Nice idea, i saw one project that was made of 7 AMD GPU's connected with the sunlight water collectors system - guy managed to heat water in 300L water tank to near of 65C' then transfered the water to usage water in his house what caused lowering cost of heating the water ex. for bath - 65 C' is actually very comfortable temp for home usage.

Regards

65C is 149 F - which is too high to be safe for home water heating, definite scalding risk.
 Sure they didn't have it at 55C? 131F would be a little on the high side but in the "normal" range for hot water temperature the outlet of a water heater.

Also, what did he do when he DIDN'T need the hot water running?
 Or was it setup as a "recirculation" system through the GPUs and the solar heating array?

In our home water heating system the water on the boiler is 70C and its not a problem.
If you go under 55C the tank will be full of Legionella bacteria and you could not drink the water without getting ill.
Hot water is mixed with cold water on faucet so the water temp is max 40-45C.

System works like this

greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:46:39 PM

I heat my house with miners (also Pacific NW, so 9 months out of the year I don't vent any of them outside). My house thus far this year hasn't dropped below 65, and is usually above 70 (only drops below 70 when I switch the gpu miners to cryptonight coins). I have a 6gpu, a 4gpu, an L3+ and an S3. I have a S5 (for tinkering) and a D3 on the way (I know, I ordered it a while ago). I am building an office in my yard though, so the heat still won't go to waste.

My L3+, for noise, is in a sound dampening box I built in the basement, with insulated ducting pumping the warm air into the kitchen.

I replaced my water heater with a tankless a year or two ago, which sucks because I would LOVE to mod up a water heater (still may work something for beermaking and the like).
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:51:29 PM

I used my miners to heat a room in my basement...was great in the winter...okay in the other season.
slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:46:55 PM

I refer to my miners as heaters, and the room they are in I use to dry my clothes from the washing machine, I leave the door open a little so some heat spreads out, I get currencies and heating  Grin
rotonda

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:49:15 PM

I have recently found some curious news saying that 2 Russian guys have created a unique system for heating houses — their devices operate on the basis of mining farms. This stuff can also mine BTC.
Curious if the other countries will follow their unique experience?
Yes, I heard about it recently. These were two guys who created a burned-out house in Siberia. Very clever and practical. In Siberia it's cold and it's always snowing
Moonshine4321

Activity: 61

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:59:51 PM

Awesome thread, I've been wondering this exact thing, I've been thinking of shutting the heat off and just running mining rigs, it's cold like 8 months of the year, maybe I'll just turn them off during the 2 hottest months.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 10:48:40 PM

120F is enough to prevent bacteria growth in a hot water tank.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ronatrip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 10:56:37 PM

I have thinking about this idea. I have only my apartment, but here is a balkony that I can use as a place to working of my miner. So my balcony will be warm  Grin
furfurol

Activity: 137

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:36:36 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2017, 11:48:06 PM by furfurol

I have thinking about this idea. I have only my apartment, but here is a balkony that I can use as a place to working of my miner. So my balcony will be warm  Grin
I have thought too. But only it is about my garage
binkyj357

Activity: 103

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:44:11 PM

I'm currently in a condo in Arizona (USA), and I have been looking forward to this winter all year. Of course I say winter, but it's really just a mild autumn, maybe a few days of frost overnight but that's it. I've got a Gridseed blade at the head of my bed, a small GPU rig in the opposite corner, and an antminer S5 in the in the kitchen/dining area. Things should finally go from "just tolerable" to "comfortable".
krial

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:49:13 AM

Works great in northern Michigan heating a single-wide trailer with 32x 1060s. That's 4 rigs of 8 cards, one in each end bedroom, one in the livingroom and one on top of the fridge. When it dropped to 5F outside it was still 70F inside with the furnace off.

The air is a little dry, probably should pick up a humidifier for the bedroom.
thanhsuong62736397

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:06:02 AM

That is good idea for this my winter.
JayT22

Activity: 168

Privacy is freedom!

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:11:47 AM

in my country we have actually winter, outside -2°
i have a gpu mining rig with only 4x gtx10170  & i dont have to heat my 45qm flat xD
think i will get my money back for heating next year ;-)

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
dolomition

Activity: 142

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:57:43 PM

I have thinking about this idea. I have only my apartment, but here is a balkony that I can use as a place to working of my miner. So my balcony will be warm  Grin
I have thought too. But only it is about my garage
I dont't think this is so good idea/ Because most likely a garage doesn't have good internet provision. So this is an additional problem and additional costs  Undecided
sindikat

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:03:52 PM

in my country we have actually winter, outside -2°
i have a gpu mining rig with only 4x gtx10170  & i dont have to heat my 45qm flat xD
think i will get my money back for heating next year ;-)
I doubt that you will be able to save a lot. During operation of the equipment generated a lot of fan noise. To be in the same room with the installation of difficult and harmful for your hearing. If the installation will be in another room then you will not achieve the desired effect. In addition to saving you need to have the ability to adjust the heat in each room separately.
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:08:55 PM

120F is enough to prevent bacteria growth in a hot water tank.

Yeah, thats true, but u better stay on safe side...55C (130F) is quite usual temp.
I keep the temp up at 70C (160F) so we have enought hot water to shower...(5 people).
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:26:27 PM

It is not recommended to build mining farms to heat the house as the air is not the best of quality. Maximum I would suggest is one mining rig per house and make sure to keep that mining rig not in your living room or make sure to keep it in a room where you don't spent much time if you have it with 6x GPU-s. I keep 3 xGTX 1060 in my bedroom but the heat and the noise is minimal as I keep them in an open sided case from Thermaltake and not in open air frame. The other 3xGTX 1060 I keep in the soggiorno(living room) but in an isolated place which is far from where we stay usually so I avoid bad air coming into me.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
BSAlex

Activity: 239

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:00:07 PM

The real option is to use watercooling, not direct air-cooling. Unfortunately is cost a lot more, usually not a resonable investment.
twofreckles

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:39:16 PM

Hot water preparation and heating miners are produced in Ukraine.

http://en.hotmine.io/

I somehow don't see it in real life. In theory it looks awesome, but what if gpus get unstable, what if you have to take it out, send to warranty etc.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: