Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:30:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining farms for heating houses?  (Read 2785 times)
BSAlex

Activity: 239
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 01:53:37 PM

Best option is to combine watercooled mining rig with heatpump-based water-to-water solution already installed in your home. It will automatically use heat in winter season and pump it to ground circuit in hot summer.
A.Chanaka Bandara

Activity: 140

Feeling Relax in Underpressure

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2017, 02:27:42 PM

yes because mining farms have more GPU and powerful processors.Powerful processing run in mining period. So house is heating rapidly. So Cooling system is very important for farms housing.

ternyabin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 07:44:26 PM

I heard about a Japanese town in a mountainous area. They are going to use a similar idea, because it's just as cold there. In my opinion, the idea is simply cool.  Cool
peleng

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:45:57 PM

I heard the news that in Russia it is planned to build a city for mining. They want to use similar technologies. They say that this will be a major mining center. But as it will be in reality it is not yet known. These are just plans.  Cheesy
pergola

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:38:14 PM

I heard the news that in Russia it is planned to build a city for mining. They want to use similar technologies. They say that this will be a major mining center. But as it will be in reality it is not yet known. These are just plans.  Cheesy
In Japan, the center of mining will appear exactly faster than in Russia. As far as I know, crypto currency  and mining are not allowed in Russia  official.

damNmad

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

nvOC forever

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:31:30 AM

I live in UK, I promised my wife that our RIG will keep our house really warm (we call it the expensive heater). But it never worked like that Cheesy

The GPU temperatures has never reached greater than 60 degrees, with that fans running at 25% its making the room even colder Cheesy

Guess it may change during summer probably!

BTW, can someone help me to find a website where we can buy the raspberry pi to control (restart RIG) the RIG remotely?

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
BSAlex

Activity: 239

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 10:09:48 AM

I live in UK, I promised my wife that our RIG will keep our house really warm (we call it the expensive heater). But it never worked like that Cheesy

The GPU temperatures has never reached greater than 60 degrees, with that fans running at 25% its making the room even colder Cheesy

Guess it may change during summer probably!

BTW, can someone help me to find a website where we can buy the raspberry pi to control (restart RIG) the RIG remotely?

You'd better buy SRR from https://simplemining.net/
It's way more reliable for rig resetting then PI.
There is a lot of cards that are good for heating. Try HD6990, you can get up to 475W heat from a single card, easily reaching 90 degrees on GPU :-) Turbo fan noise included for free, you'll always know you heater is up and running  Wink
ptolimeus

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:42:22 PM

Oh, it really will work. In our office, computers do not turn off for the night and so it's really hot in the morning. And it's warmth from ordinary office computers.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:15:35 PM

Depends on how much power the rig uses and how much heat the room NEEDS to stay warm.
It's definitely providing heat, even if the fans are at only 25%.

I kept an old poor-insulation mobile home warm through 2 IOWA Winters (the first one of them a record-setting cold winter) with my mining gear - and had to keep 2 windows at least cracked open with fans running in them to avoid OVERHEATING the place that second winter.

That wasn't "one rig" though....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:28:16 PM

It's definitely providing heat, even if the fans are at only 25%.

Yup. Fans have nothing to do with amount of heat generated, just efficiency and dispersion (though turning them down should actually generate a bit more heat in theory, since improper cooling will force the card to work harder, but that's not really worth messing around with IMO).

If you want to know how much heat you are generating, check the wattage, not the card temp or fan speed.
mrspumpkin

Activity: 266
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 06:37:13 PM

This is a good idea. Where I live is more than half the year cold. This could help me cut spending on heating my home. But I think such energy-intensive mining will die in a while
maxiimallist

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:14:19 AM

This idea is not new, but very successful. This method can be used not only in countries with a cold climate, but also in the mountains. I heard about using similar technology in the Japanese city, which is located in the mountains.   Wink

ⓄⓄ    Bitscreener - The world's first financial data ecosystem powered by blockchain    ⓄⓄ
ⓄⓄⓄⓄ    ICO starts in June 27     ⓄⓄⓄⓄ
Follow Bitscreener  | Facebook | Twitter| Telegram
YakETy

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:10:54 AM

So I can contribute to this thread as this is what I do this year.

I began last year mining in june not because of the boom but after selling my house...

We took a rented house heated with oil : I drive an electric car, try to have my company as green as possible (i am working selling second hand equipment) and the new house was heated by oil... no way !

That's where came the idea of heating with cards and making money Smiley

We are in the middle of the winter and I must say... The winter is not cold enough Smiley (I am living in France)

We have in total 34 cards working. I put them in different places in the house and it works, we have to keep windows opened.... (3 floors, 140 m2)

Now, there is the downsides :

-Choosing cards making the less noise as possible. For this, I have NVIDIA Cards at some place, and I found out that 3 fans or NITRO+ cards where the best for the AMD models. The worst ones I have are the RedDevil Powercolor RX580 which have good hashrate but make lot of noise...)

-Accept living with "noise" : yes ! even choosing the best cards will make noise !
-Invest in fans : fans is the solution : as the fasn will push hot air, the cards will be less hot... but it will also spread the air everywhere.
-And accept changing currency when friends are coming (actually my guest algos is Cryptonight on AMD cards and equihash on NVIDIA cards as they are the one making less noise)

Now, I must say that I am really happy to spend a full winter earning money with my heater (after having the investment bask as this was a big one Smiley but I am also really excited to get the new house built where the cards will be in a dedicated place and I won't hear them anymore Smiley I am now thinking how I will mush this hot air in the rest of the house., but that's another storry !
grek_al

Activity: 110

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:10:29 PM

So I can contribute to this thread as this is what I do this year.

I began last year mining in june not because of the boom but after selling my house...

We took a rented house heated with oil : I drive an electric car, try to have my company as green as possible (i am working selling second hand equipment) and the new house was heated by oil... no way !

That's where came the idea of heating with cards and making money Smiley

We are in the middle of the winter and I must say... The winter is not cold enough Smiley (I am living in France)

We have in total 34 cards working. I put them in different places in the house and it works, we have to keep windows opened.... (3 floors, 140 m2)

Now, there is the downsides :

-Choosing cards making the less noise as possible. For this, I have NVIDIA Cards at some place, and I found out that 3 fans or NITRO+ cards where the best for the AMD models. The worst ones I have are the RedDevil Powercolor RX580 which have good hashrate but make lot of noise...)

-Accept living with "noise" : yes ! even choosing the best cards will make noise !
-Invest in fans : fans is the solution : as the fasn will push hot air, the cards will be less hot... but it will also spread the air everywhere.
-And accept changing currency when friends are coming (actually my guest algos is Cryptonight on AMD cards and equihash on NVIDIA cards as they are the one making less noise)

Now, I must say that I am really happy to spend a full winter earning money with my heater (after having the investment bask as this was a big one Smiley but I am also really excited to get the new house built where the cards will be in a dedicated place and I won't hear them anymore Smiley I am now thinking how I will mush this hot air in the rest of the house., but that's another storry !

Nice story! I think I will not be able to repeat the same experience in my country. When it's -20 ouside in winter, it does not help much. But, anyway! Extra heat source, which brings you income, is the best heater in winter
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:23:55 AM

I run most of my machines in the basement with dedicated pull and push insulated ducting currently pulling from outside and pushing to holes I cut in the heating system intakes, but designed with floodgates to be easily swappable to draw air from the basement and pump heat outside (I do drop the clocks back down in summer as well).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: