Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:11:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook game using bitcoins  (Read 2734 times)
ericools (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 11:50:12 PM

I would love to see a Facebook game that used bitcoins.  Something catchy that I could send to all my friends.  Normally I find them really annoying and block them all but lets face it people love to send them.  I can't think of a better way to spread knowledge about bitcoin.

Suggestions:
Dope Wars style game (though not sure that would be the best image to start with).
Some sort of economic simulator that allowed people to experience how bitcoin works with .0001 coin representing one.

It doesn't need to use very many coins, but over all it could add up to a lot.  You could probably sell tiny coin pieces at a pretty good premium to cover to cost of production and updating if you wanted.  Or have the app give you back any coins on accounts that have been dormant for a year or more.  Maybe an option for the player to donate coins from their game to a charity.

I have no talent for those sort of things so if anyone else thinks it's a good idea have at it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 09:56:27 AM

I would love to see a Facebook game that used bitcoins.

Facebook doesn't allow that.

Best regards,
Casper

I has idea.

Make a cool game. Nothing really to do with bitcoin, but maybe in the action puzzle genera. At some point have screens with a bunch of matrix looking random data. Mark off some of it in a subtle way. That's a bitcoin address. Make a minimal payment and unlock levels/powers/cool music/death star/whatever.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 11:24:09 AM

dystopian grand theft auto where bitcoins are the underworld currency of choice?

goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 01:12:57 PM

Don't forget: Facebook were gonna take over the world by introducing their famous "Facebook credits". Bitcoins probably got them a little miffed now.

TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:47:08 PM

I would like a betting game I found a javascript code game to pick 1-10 by guessing
I changed it but I don't know how to add the bitcoin betting part and all that this is the code...

<script type=text/javascript>
var iRandom;
function Restart()
{ Bitcoin 1-5
iRandom = Math.floor(Math.random()*10)+5;
alert('Pick a number from 1 to 5');
}
function Guess()
{
var yourGuess = document.getElementById('myGuess').value;
if (yourGuess>iRandom)
   alert('Too High.');
if (yourGuess<iRandom)
   alert('Too Low.');
if (yourGuess==iRandom)
   {
   alert('Good job! You have won!');
   Restart();
   }
}
</script>
<div>Enter your guess between 1 and 5: <input type=text id='myGuess' name='myGuess'>
<input type='button' onClick='Guess()' value='Guess'>
<br>
<br>
<input type='button' onClick='Restart()' value='Start Again'>
<script type=text/javascript>
Restart();
</script>
TheVirus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:13:38 AM

You must use Facebook's currency in all games.
TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:17:30 AM

You must use Facebook's currency in all games.
Can still use it on a site
Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 07:10:57 AM

I'd like to see this done outside of Facebook.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 04:10:40 AM

I'd like to see this done outside of Facebook.

I have a bunch of Battle for Wesnoth (v1.Cool campaigns that hopefully should be able to start doing this at some point during the move through v1.9 to v1.10, if the persistent worlds support via remote SQL databases feature does in fact get implemented. (It might already be implemented, the GNUniverse is large enough that I haven't revisited Wesnoth development for some time; it kind of got put on the back burner due to it's having hitherto focussed on narrating, and allowing the reliving of, historic events/timelines rather than actively changing history 'going forward'.

In the Galactic Milieu those campaigns are set in, Bitcoins are assumed to be the {inter|}galactic currency of the Hacker nation, thus the "Between the Worlds" campaign bundle is the one in which bitcoins per se will be most directly relevant to players, inasmuch as players in the Time Cadet branch of that bundle have the option of being, themselves, Hackers.

In other campaigns various variants of Bitcoin are more diretly relevant, for example in the Martian Invasion campaign, and thus in other campaigns in which the character Scotty is mentioned or involved, Martian Botcoins will probably be of more direct relevance than the original Bitcoins.

Meanwhile I have been working on http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/ to provide another set of virtual resources tradeable for bitcoins and bitcoin-variants. The showstopper there though is not being able to compile code there, probably not being able to run there stuff that I compile at home, and then even if I can put together something that will run there it is far from clear that I would actually be permitted to run it there.

The actual Freeciv worlds on which the Wesnoth campaigns are set is are similarly hobbled by the financial hurdles involved in being able to compile and execute code on boxes that are online and that I can have incoming ports open on for people to connect to.

I also do not like the idea of putting financial stuff on servers that I do not physically control, especially not on servers physically controlled by people who are familiar with Bitcoin and its potential value.

So ultimately much of what I am working toward is probably not really going to widely reachable until such time as I can get decent bandwidth into my own physical space with control of the router. (Currently I am living in someone else's house and they control the router, allowing me only one incoming port. Thus the spawning of various IRC-bot methods of providing access to various aspects of the GNUniverse such as the Galactic Milieu and the Crossfire RPG server that inhabits that one incoming port.)

So hey, it is being worked on. How interested are you, as measured in negotiable financial instruments such as bitcoin, dollars, yen, etc?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: