Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:06:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal for the Bitcoin Snowball 2.0  (Read 6831 times)
goodlord666 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 10:15:02 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2012, 02:51:20 AM by goodlord666

I don't easily give up.

Read up on the spectacular fail of the Bitcoin Snowball here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=69462.0

Although the final outcome wasn't necessarily bad (just low as hell and little exciting; and the trickster may yet have to face his personal consequences), I believe the main reason for its failure was that it lacked a tangible goal.

I'm inclined to kick off the Bitcoin Snowball once more, but this time I'll do it only if people give me confidence that the community widely backs the idea for a serious effort towards a sensible purpose.

The rules shall be the same, except:

- The Snowball must this time reach a size of 1000 BTC. The final contributor to add up to the 1000 BTC (aka the winner) gets the honor of finalizing the Snowball and donating the full amount to the Make-A-Wish Foundation (www.wish.org - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make-A-Wish_Foundation). In the meantime, the Make-A-Wish Foundation must be persuaded to accept donations in Bitcoin.

- In addition to that, the winner gets to have their name/business/website (or all) inscribed in the Bitcoin Snowball Memorial Plaque (see below). The plaque will be displayed for all to see.

- Every participant to forward the Snowball may advertize their business/website or just have their name added to the list of contributors by signing the handover of the Snowball. The list will be maintained in order of appearance. Appearances on the list will be visually influenced according to the nature of the contribution:

Everything up to 0.99999999 BTC (normal text formatting)
Single-digit contribution (bold)
Double-digit contribution or more (bold +size)
Final contributor/winner (bold ++size)

Bonus number magic:
Every contribution received with the number "1337" in it gets the recipient an additional sunglassed smilie Cool
Every contribution received with the number "69" in it gets the recipient an additional kissing smilie  Kiss
Every contribution received with the number "666" in it gets the recipient a secret blessing

Important! The number magic works not on you but on the next in line! They'll be given the blessing/smilie!

- A proper handover of the Snowball may look as simple as this:

Quote from: Next recipient
I'll play along: 1KDuLZ3pSANA8vwbbWZCGqeoEGnJUs7vFk

x.1337 BTC sent.
Timmy's Bitcoin Business

"Timmy's Bitcoin Business" will then be added to the list of contributors. If you wish to not be listed don't put anything there. In this example, "Next recipient" is given a sunglass smilie (IF he/she successfully forwards the Snowball and chooses to appear on the list by signing the handover). Websites will be hyperlinked for free.

- I'll rename the 'experiment' to a 'mission'.

*** JOB OPPORTUNITY!!! ***

You're looking for a Bitcoin job?? Here's what you have to do:

Your task will be to follow the thread and observe the Snowball handovers and reliably forward an updated list of contributors to me (either daily or whenever an update is necessary) with the proper BBCode formatting (see above). I will then update the article with the latest list.

Payment: 20 BTC (5 BTC upfront, the rest when mission accomplished)

PM me.

Questions:

What do you think?

Possible design of the memorial plaque to be inaugurated when mission accomplished:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 01:24:18 PM

Well I'm a bit concerned for the snowball's safety once it's over about 100 BTC...
Is there at least a rule that the recipients should have a decent number of forum posts?

Also.. I take it this isn't the actual Snowball 2.0 thread?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
TheLastDovah

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

Donate at signature <3

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 01:32:42 PM

Looks promising GL with your mission Smiley

Just started with bitcoin would love some help :
13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Kinds regards,TheLastDovah

Minefield: http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org/?r=shfCJJLlodohDSNT
BTC:http://coinad.com/?r=13voepynSn4Vio29XKFgGnRztumeCdPQa4
Best site on the internet: http://www.reddit.com

In their tongue im the Dovah!
goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 12:17:33 AM

Well I'm a bit concerned for the snowball's safety once it's over about 100 BTC...
Is there at least a rule that the recipients should have a decent number of forum posts?

Also.. I take it this isn't the actual Snowball 2.0 thread?

That's the challenge about it. Being concerned about its safety is a first step in the right direction.
I don't think more rules are necessary if every participant applies common sense and reason as to his or her decision on whom to trust as a next recipient.

IMO, a respectable veteran on the forum would be preferable to a junior member. Also, this is to find out whether members of the community can trust each other to handle a high risk endeavor like that (although individual stakes may be low).

I will post the actual thread only when I'm confident this is going somewhere.

Cheers

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 12:19:51 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2012, 02:58:05 AM by goodlord666

Looks promising GL with your mission Smiley

Thanks!
Let's see if we can get more people intrigued by it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 02:05:10 PM

IMO, a respectable veteran on the forum would be preferable to a junior member.

I don't see how that applies here, for you're basically starting the snowball and acting as the official scorekeeper. There shouldn't be any reason for users to fear that you'll scam them.

That said, a couple ideas.

Once the snowball is in play, the current holder of the snowball could look at a list of users that have expressed interest in obtaining it, selecting an individual he deems most worthy from that list prior to sending it back on its way.

As the snowball gets larger, the then current holder(s) will be more selective as to whom the next recipient shall be, thus lessening the chance that it won't end its trek.

At some point, a current holder of the snowball may opt to send it in and out of other businesses and enterprises he controls. edd comes to mind, in which case it may be best to be first on the list, oppose to being below the fold.

When this starts getting just a little traction, I believe maintaining a single blog post on Bitcoin 100 may be in order. Ideally, it'll be to the best interest if Make-a-Wish was made aware of this event from the get-go.

How much are you seeding this, goodlord666? (Just now realized something: I think that 666 needs ridding if you/we desire ANY non-profit, especially Make-a-Wish, to get involved)

~Bruno~
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 02:10:41 AM

Ok I'm first
1674CGLxFhn2cfeAkBMNtxft9N2uf5a1PZ

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 03:49:39 AM

Ok I'm first
1674CGLxFhn2cfeAkBMNtxft9N2uf5a1PZ

Great! First person to put on the list, GL. Anybody else want to be put on GL's list.

~Bruno~
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 04:07:38 AM

Wish blockchain wallet still had the labels feature, my addresses are getting confusing. Anyone know why?

Fred26

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 07:52:36 AM

I was in mah backyard today, thinking about sending out a floating bitcoin. Similar principle, but just keeping it at 1 btc, to see where about in the forum it goes and wtf happens to it. To build trust and community I guess.
I like this, although, 1,000 BTC is around $5k right now, and I may not want to take $5,000 from dying kids, but I know people who would =/
We can have all the trust in the world, but it only takes one dick fuck things.
More to, getting the make a wish foundation involved from the get go could swing things out of our favour.
e.g. we get 800 BTC together, and some dick takes it =/
Then instead of "wow, them bitcoin ppl r nice, they leik kids"
the mainstream media gets "$5,000 worth of charity money STOLEN by evil online hackers"
Let's not forget, bitcoin is to help drug dealers enslave our children.

I was thinking, perhaps if we start on a smaller scale.

That said, I'm in =D

16CSNGbWjjtCLaGihPeaFEHhk5hHw4TLRh
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 07:53:59 AM

i would start this myself, but fred you are lower ranked than me, what if we use blockchain wallet escrow transaction??

Fred26

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:29:39 AM

Mah cheddah stack is currently pushing 9 whole BTC!!!
I will send you my 10th BTC, should take me about 3 days =D

I was thinking about a multi password thing like this escrow service. Looks like a great idea, I was thinking about applications for the forum, to add an extra layer of security for the market and transactions. E.G. trust accounts run by 2 or 3 admins which hold funds.

anyway, I will probably post or pm you when I have that 10th BTC generated for your deets!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:32:56 AM

Is this the thread where we pay bitcoins for pictures of female bitcoiners snowballing each other?

NSFW

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 08:14:14 PM

Once the snowball is in play, the current holder of the snowball could look at a list of users that have expressed interest in obtaining it, selecting an individual he deems most worthy from that list prior to sending it back on its way.

As the snowball gets larger, the then current holder(s) will be more selective as to whom the next recipient shall be, thus lessening the chance that it won't end its trek.

This is exactly how I had envisioned it.

At some point, a current holder of the snowball may opt to send it in and out of other businesses and enterprises he controls. edd comes to mind, in which case it may be best to be first on the list, oppose to being below the fold.

That's within the range of possibilities. Also, technically, you can't keep anybody from taking the snowball and gambling with it on an exchange or even a poker game. You'll just have to be aware of the explicit warning given in the disclaimer and the responsibility you agreed to take.

No matter where or how much it travels between two handovers, the last participant to accept the snowball is still officially in possession of it. And if you lose it, you screwed it up.

When this starts getting just a little traction, I believe maintaining a single blog post on Bitcoin 100 may be in order. Ideally, it'll be to the best interest if Make-a-Wish was made aware of this event from the get-go.

How much are you seeding this, goodlord666? (Just now realized something: I think that 666 needs ridding if you/we desire ANY non-profit, especially Make-a-Wish, to get involved)

~Bruno~

If by seeding you mean getting the word out, just on the forum.

As to my username and the number: I'd kind of like to know from the people at the Make-a-Wish Foundation themselves whether they have strong concerns over it. It's a possibility, but maybe they don't.

Cheers

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 02:15:57 AM

+1

Is this the thread where we pay bitcoins for pictures of female bitcoiners snowballing each other?

NSFW

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 07:28:00 AM

+1

NSFW

Oh you dirty minds.
Thank me for not having had the same idea as Fred26 "Similar principle, but just keeping it at 1 btc, to see where about in the forum it goes and wtf happens to it." Else I would have had to name it "The Bitcoin Centipede"...

Can we now please be serious about helping children with life-threatening medical conditions??  Cheesy

It'd be fantastic if the Bitcoin Magazine could somehow cover it.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:34:22 AM

+1

NSFW

Oh you dirty minds.
Thank me for not having had the same idea as Fred26 "Similar principle, but just keeping it at 1 btc, to see where about in the forum it goes and wtf happens to it." Else I would have had to name it "The Bitcoin Centipede"...

Can we now please be serious about helping children with life-threatening medical conditions??  Cheesy

It'd be fantastic if the Bitcoin Magazine could somehow cover it.

No offense, but it's hardly news worthy. It's like a fun forum game. Maybe "Coineer" will cover it. lol

That said, I'm totally down for some snowballing.  Kiss

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 12:29:59 PM

No offense, but it's hardly news worthy. It's like a fun forum game. Maybe "Coineer" will cover it. lol

That said, I'm totally down for some snowballing.  Kiss

Coineer? Why not? I don't care who makes it work.

What is this:

Sorry Matthew N. Wright, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.

Off-topic Atlas-related spam (4 days)

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
April 09, 2012, 05:09:05 PM

UPDATE:

Sent e-mail to the editor at Coineer.com to inform them of the Bitcoin Snowball.

Job application received.

Happy Easter!
gl

goodlord666 (OP)

100%

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 06:23:51 AM

UPDATE:

Had a brief e-mail exchange with Steve D, editor at coineer.com, recently. He had actually known about the project already. Quote:
"We are already planning out upcoming issues of our magazine and will definitely include the Bitcoin Snowball if it fits with our upcoming editorial objectives."

Been busy with a lot of other things lately. Will be dedicating more of my spare time to the Snowball again soon.

gl

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: