Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:16:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Info leading to criminal arrest in ASIC Theft. Escrow via John K.  (Read 9304 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:04:21 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 06:26:21 AM by CrazyBlane

Current Bounty
BTC50

Current USD amount of bounty

https://blockchain.info/address/1E36mb8tWuEarA9b99v179CoAkudoadzQS
Bounty is escrowed with John K. and open for donations. Please read below for more details

Bounty Details
I am offering a minimum of 50 BTC for information leading to the arrest of the individual that broke into my house and stole a Batch #2 Avalon ASIC. The burglary occurred at exactly 10:10 AM CST on May 31st 2013, 2.5 days after listing on the forums and eBay. I live in North DFW, in an area with one of the lowest crime rates in America, so this is not a coincidence. I have kept quiet about the burglary while police investigate, but I feel now is the time to take action and provide a little incentive for catching the criminal.

I want to stress that the primary goal of this bounty is not to retrieve my Avalon, but to ensure the criminal who invaded my house and privacy serves due time in prison, and prevent this from happening to anyone else. With that said, I want to encourage those of you that may have purchased a stolen unit second hand to come forward with information about the individual you purchased from. The bounty is available to any individual that provides information leading to an arrest.

Who is eligible, how can you help?
Everyone is eligible.
  • Purchased a secondhand Avalon off of eBay, the forums, craigslist? Please contact me. If you are able to provide identifying information on the unit, we can move forward with locating the criminal.
  • Provide information on your thieving friend or someone you've seen bragging about stealing an Avalon. I can't imagine someone willing to break into a stranger's home has loyal friends. Surely someone will be willing to rat their criminal buddy out.
  • Upvote on reddit. The bounty needs as much exposure as possible to attract an informant.
  • Donate to the bounty and help spread the message to lurking criminals that we intend to make sure they don't get away with major theft. I am not the benefactor of bounty donations, and donations can be retracted after each 30 day period(More details in Full Terms). In the event the unit is returned, as a donator, you will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power for the life of the unit(no less than 1 year)

Full Terms
  • Bounty is run in 30 day intervals, starting June 19th 2013. At the end of 30 days, I will decide wether to continue for another 30 days or not.
  • Donators have 24 hour period after each 30 day interval to retract their donation. In the event the bounty is called off, donators will receive a full refund. If you do donate, please remember to donate from your account(not Mtgox or another online account). This will ease the refund process if necessary.
  • In the event the unit is returned, donators will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power, equal to the percentage donated to full bounty.
  • Information must lead to criminal arrest of an individual connected to the burglary. This must be verified before receiving payment.
  • Bounty is escrowed with John K. John has been given specific information regarding the case and should only be contacted if you are uncomfortable with speaking me directly

For those of you with ASICs on order, or coming in soon, be careful! There are criminals out there willing to break into your house and take your property. It's easy to forget how much this hardware is worth, and what people are willing to do, when you paid a fraction of the current value.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:04:38 AM

reserved

pikeadz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:08:55 AM

Copy of the police report with personally identifiable info stricken would be nice.  Otherwise you could just be a guy out to get a free avalon "returned" to him in a roundabout way, or worse, have a fake donation site set up.  Just saying, the more info you provide (within reason), the better for all.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:16:20 AM

Copy of the police report with personally identifiable info stricken would be nice.  Otherwise you could just be a guy out to get a free avalon "returned" to him in a roundabout way, or worse, have a fake donation site set up.  Just saying, the more info you provide (within reason), the better for all.

I don't have a copy of the police report on hand, but I'll see what I can do. The donation address is escrowed with John K. and I have explicitly stated that the goal of the bounty is to get information leading to an arrest, not retrieve my Avalon.

twitami1

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:20:07 AM

That is seriously the suck dude--I hope you catch the bastard.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 02:21:16 AM

I wish you my condolences.  Stay focused and hopefully someone will step forward and help out your situation.  Man!

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:27:17 AM

Anything else taken or just the Avalon?

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
pikeadz

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:31:31 AM

I don't have a copy of the police report on hand, but I'll see what I can do. The donation address is escrowed with John K. and I have explicitly stated that the goal of the bounty is to get information leading to an arrest, not retrieve my Avalon.

Cool.  Hope you find the fucker and share who he is with us.  Upvoted the reddit thread and am always on the lookout for Avalons on ebay and other places.  If any are sold from the DFW area anytime soon, there's a good chance it will be yours.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:32:32 AM

a guy in austin offered to sell an Avalon that was not his.  perhaps this is your guy?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=227232.0
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:41:10 AM

I really hope that the person responsible gets jail time and a hefty Avalon sized fine. Also; I have never seen a thread be so well matched with forum avatar...
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:55:44 AM

Anything else taken or just the Avalon?

Just the Avalon, left behind a few FPGA miners. He obviously wanted to be in and out very quickly. I've since moved what's left to a remote location.

GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:10:10 AM

Did you post your address up publicly something?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:12:43 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this CrazyBlane, it is quite unfortunate.

Good luck finding the perpetrator.
gbx

Activity: 226

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:22:07 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that... This is some crazy wild west territory we're in, but this is the first I've heard of someone being physically robbed from to get the coin.  

Here's my thoughts based on your information.

1.  How many people knew you had this box?  They're all suspect IMHO.  Including the original shipper...  Avalon I presume?

2.  Concerning eBay.  Who have you done business with in the past that might look at your "items for sale" link that are related to bitcoin.  Buy any riser cards?  Any bitcoin paraphernalia that would give someone a shipping address on your box based on a previous purchase?  All suspect IMHO.  I don't see how a random passer by on eBay would be able to obtain your address without buying something or selling something to you.

I also see how anyone would brag about a having a "stolen" Avalon.  And if they did, there's honor among thieves...  unfortunately.

I hope you catch the bastard!  I do!!!  I'm sure you've run down all these options... but I'd be looking for people I'd done business with in the past that might be within 0-8 hours drive from where you live.  Chances are, the thief is mining with that and not trying to resell it.  So you might need get some good suspects and then social engineer that situation for a while to get any answers.

You need a home alarm system, a mean dog, and a gun safe loaded to the gills my bitcoin brother...
logicbomb666

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:10:01 AM

Holy crap, I hope this mystery is solved.  To think someone specifically targeted the miner and broke into a home to steal it?  That's crazy. 

I am also in the north DFW area, so I will keep an eye out.

I think snare rolls should be used as a currency.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:29:23 AM

It's someone you know.
bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:34:39 AM

I hope you find this guy that totally is horrible.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:27:28 AM

It's someone you know.

It's gut-wrenching to think that, but it is plausible :|

What are the odds ? How was his address obtained ? Did he put it out there ? Need more info.

Either way, good luck recovering your rig and finding the perp. That's just awful, and peculiar, to have such a specifically targeted robbery Sad
omgitm

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:33:06 AM

no security cameras?

you might have better luck going around sniffing wifi packets, good 'ol wardrivin' Wink
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:38:21 AM

This is sad. You need to think how the thieve got your address. It might might be someone you know personally.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: