Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:57:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA] Be careful with your new hardware. Criminals are watching.  (Read 1232 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:05:07 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 02:52:17 AM by CrazyGuy

There are individuals perusing the forums that are willing to break into your home and steal your property. I live in a great neighboorhood, in a city with one of the lowest crime rates in the country. A couple days after posting my Avalon ASIC sale in the forums and on ebay, someone broke into my home and stole it. It's an exciting time for miners, and I know a lot of you are going to be receiving ASIC units from various companies soon, just be careful out there.

More info on the robbery and bounty here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=239450.0

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:19:11 AM

This is totally insane, I really feel for you! I knew BTC was desirable but this is stupid.

I really avoid e-bay these days anyway with outrageous fees. I am really sorry to hear this, Its shocking.

Glad I have got out of the mining side, This would really worry me.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:16:35 AM

A couple days after posting my Avalon ASIC sale in the forums and on ebay, someone broke into my home and stole it.

Is that going to be the Bitcoin equivalent to the "boating accident" that befalls so many precious metals investors?
 - http://www.zerohedge.com/news/how-hide-your-gold-bloomberg-primer#comment-1756269

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hotwired007

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:14:28 AM

Just a few questions for you:

You posted the item for sale but how much public information is available about you - specifically your RL name and location? unless this information is accessible no one can identify you from a random username.

Could it have been someone who had previously won/ordered something from you on ebay (even if they were no shows)? - they would have your name and address from the auction.

Any CCTV coverage in the area? From the pics i have seen of avalons (similar to a small server?) they are quite large and bulky so it would be in an obvious box if someone did have cctv coverage of the area - go door knocking and asking? Daft as it might seem - go on google maps and streetview your area to look for places with obvious CCTV coverage so that you can look to see who may have caught the person(s) involved on film... (some criminals do this to preassess an area anyway)

Did you have anyone come and visit you to look at the unit? I assume you have a serial number of the avalon? (you'd need this to prove ownership) unless you find a REALLY honest person i dout you'll get it back if they have just forked out a load of cash for it - without getting their money back.

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:43:26 AM

This is why the most I will reveal on the internet is my first name, eyes are everywhere and you're not paranoid in the slightest for thinking that, anyone who says otherwise is simply naive, bad luck Sad
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:45:07 AM

Wow I hope they catch them

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
luke.watson

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:47:01 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 07:48:08 PM by luke.watson

This must have been a well planned robbery and they obviously knew what they were after
markt. Kreation

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:59:19 AM

I think this does not have to do with ebay. How would they get your address from there?
hotwired007

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:02:09 AM

I think this does not have to do with ebay. How would they get your address from there?

whan you buy an item from a seller on ebay - the seller gets the address to ship the item.

when you buy an item with local collection - the buyer gets the address for collection - even if they dont actually turn up or pay they still get the address.

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:11:52 PM

This is why the most I will reveal on the internet is my first name, eyes are everywhere and you're not paranoid in the slightest for thinking that, anyone who says otherwise is simply naive, bad luck Sad

Naivety was the issue here, and a hard lesson learned obviously. I'm happy my family is safe and I have in fact beefed up security and moved my remaining fpga miners to a remote location. I hope that my experience can prevent others from going through the same thing.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: