Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:07:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT 16 GPU  (Read 788 times)
Karlmaster (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 07:07:53 AM

Hey Guys,

have you experience with that mobo "ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT"?

I want to mine with 19GPU, how much RAM must installed?

4GB or 8GB or 16GB?

Thanks guys.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 07:20:12 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=401897.msg4353159#msg4353159

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
cjf7684

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:56:15 PM

Hello.  I just got my ASUS B250 Mining expert mobo and it seems DOA. I just wanted to test the POST so first I installed the Core i3 gen 7,  4g if RAM.  I connected the PSU to the 24 pin slot A and the 8 pin CPU slot.  And I plugged in the CPU fan.  I turned on the PSU and nothing, no fans spin, no video, nothing.  For a POST I expect both the PSU and CPU fans to spin and get the BIOS to display on the screen.  But nothing happens.  I tried jumping the BIOS reset and still got nothing.  I tested the PSU and it is fine.  I even tried a different PSU that is working and is used on Ant S3 and still nothing.  I created a RMA with ASUS to send it in for servicing. But before I do that I thought I would reach out and check if I am missing something, like is there a power on/off jumper I am missing or something else?  This is not my first build either but my first ASUS B250.  Please let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks much!
VladimirZ

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 07:21:18 PM

Hello.  I just got my ASUS B250 Mining expert mobo and it seems DOA. I just wanted to test the POST so first I installed the Core i3 gen 7,  4g if RAM.  I connected the PSU to the 24 pin slot A and the 8 pin CPU slot.  And I plugged in the CPU fan.  I turned on the PSU and nothing, no fans spin, no video, nothing.  For a POST I expect both the PSU and CPU fans to spin and get the BIOS to display on the screen.  But nothing happens.  I tried jumping the BIOS reset and still got nothing.  I tested the PSU and it is fine.  I even tried a different PSU that is working and is used on Ant S3 and still nothing.  I created a RMA with ASUS to send it in for servicing. But before I do that I thought I would reach out and check if I am missing something, like is there a power on/off jumper I am missing or something else?  This is not my first build either but my first ASUS B250.  Please let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks much!
I had the same experience. However, when I inserted video card into PCI-E x16 slot the mobo started.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 07:25:40 PM

I ordered the same board from newegg.  I installed it with 8GB and a i5-6500 and am running 4 GPUs right now and have not had any issues with the board up to this point.  Everything seeme to be working fine from the first time I turned it in.  When I first got the board it looked like one of the pins was different than all the others and I was concerned it wouldnt work but turned out I was wrong.  I have tried 6 of the PCIe slots so far due to moving some cards around and everything works great.  I have no complaints up to this point and plan on adding a second PSU in the very near future. Hopefully that will not have any issues.
mmknow

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:25:14 PM

i had the same issue and sent the mobo to asus. then i realized that i need to install power on/off switch (or short some pins to power on the mobo).  Grin

once i got the mobo back from asus, i immediately bought and installed the switch and everything worked just fine.  Cheesy
mobomofo

Activity: 88
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:08:18 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2018, 01:21:54 PM by mobomofo

I had the same issue yesterday, I had a brand new 430w EVGA gold PSU and it wouldnt start my new B250 Expert. Grabbed a spare dell 1100w PSU and boom it started right up (and yes you need to short the PWR_SW pins on the mobo to start it). The pins are on page 1-11 http://c3.clewm.net/BQnEfp.

I think that the PSU I had was just defective. I shorted the purple to green on the PSU and it started but couldnt get proper voltages from it.

Also from a ram/CPU prospective, it depends on the mining programs and OS. I'm running windows 10 (full update to get the nvidia drivers to work) with 6x 1070 ti, 4x RX580, 2x RX570 with a dualcore Celeron and 4gb ram. The NVidias use 1% CPU and 25% ram, but when I turn on Claymore for the AMDs, my RAM spikes to 95% and CPU to 100% and my page file adjusted to 6gb which is ok since its SSD but still better to run in ram than HDD swapping. I've temporarily shut down the AMD string and will be checking the risers and connections. Either I'm getting a PCIe loop on one card thats taking all the CPU cycles, or the overhead is just high with that miner.  I'm going to do more testing, but I'm considering jumping up to a quadcore i3/i5 and 16gb ram to get it stable if risers dont solve the issue as I'm looking to add 11 more card to the rig and it definately wont handle it with the AMD load that high.

As a side note: I dont power the GPUs from the mobo, I use a separate server power supply and 6pin breakout board so I cannot comment on that aspect of the board. 

ElenkaTaurus

Activity: 364
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 12:18:29 PM

The juicy part is the expansion coverage on the ASUS B250 Mining Expert. There are a total of 19 expansion slots of which 18 are PCIe Gen 3.0 x1 and a single slot is PCIe Gen 3.0 x16. ASUS has officially stated that the latest GPU drivers from AMD and NVIDIA only support up to 8 GPUs when running in multi-GPU setting.
A new driver is said to launch in late 2017 by AMD that will enable up to 19 GPUs to be supported by the motherboard. Till then, users can populate up to 16 graphics cards by mixing 8 AMD and 8 NVIDIA GPUs on the motherboard. It still makes it the world’s first board to support 16 GPUs so far.
mshordja

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 01:38:39 PM

Now i am using this board with 12 X RX580 with only 4GB ram installed and its ok, i build more than 5 rigs in that conditions and till now everything is ok, more than 3 weeks. I am so happy with that board  Grin

deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 03:14:44 PM

The juicy part is the expansion coverage on the ASUS B250 Mining Expert. There are a total of 19 expansion slots of which 18 are PCIe Gen 3.0 x1 and a single slot is PCIe Gen 3.0 x16. ASUS has officially stated that the latest GPU drivers from AMD and NVIDIA only support up to 8 GPUs when running in multi-GPU setting.
A new driver is said to launch in late 2017 by AMD that will enable up to 19 GPUs to be supported by the motherboard. Till then, users can populate up to 16 graphics cards by mixing 8 AMD and 8 NVIDIA GPUs on the motherboard. It still makes it the world’s first board to support 16 GPUs so far.

Doesn't support 16 GPU's, there's a hardware limit at 13 GPU's, to go beyond that you need to get Mining cards.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
mathris22

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:10:36 PM

When I contacted ASUS senior support they said that 13 GPU is all they would support using standard (non dedicated mining) graphics cards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: