Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:37:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best coin to mine with a CPU on a linux computer  (Read 524 times)
adamantasaurus (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 10:17:27 AM

So I have a bunch of old laptops that I'm trying to get some use out of them. one of them is windows and I'm mining zoin with it np and the other one is an old dell that I installed ubuntu on I was wondering if anyone could help me out or point me to a tutorial on how to mine with my cpu on ubuntu and also what would be a good coin to mine on it?

Thanks
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptonomicon25

Activity: 460
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 06:17:21 AM

There is a new coin called Yenten that is CPU only and growing popular. You can get a good hashrate with even fairly old computers including laptops. I'm mining it on two laptops and a pretty powerful desktop all running Linux, so you should have no issues. Check here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2329470.msg23686620#msg23686620

for more info and a link to the Github page to download the wallet/miner. You will need to compile both from source but there are instructions given.

4ward

Activity: 473
Merit: 18

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 09:32:58 AM

There is a new coin called Yenten that is CPU only and growing popular. You can get a good hashrate with even fairly old computers including laptops. I'm mining it on two laptops and a pretty powerful desktop all running Linux, so you should have no issues. Check here:

for more info and a link to the Github page to download the wallet/miner. You will need to compile both from source but there are instructions given.

don't need to compile any of them, they have the binaries already

other cpu only coins you can try are Magi and Verium

dsaijz03

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 12:07:24 PM

Are those coins really worth it to mine? Are there other coins that can be mine in an old desktop computer? I have old computer that my grandmother used it before. Its windows  with low specs.
cryptonomicon25

Activity: 460
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 05:31:25 PM

don't need to compile any of them, they have the binaries already

other cpu only coins you can try are Magi and Verium

You're right, binaries have been added. That should make it easier for people to get started.

Are those coins really worth it to mine? Are there other coins that can be mine in an old desktop computer? I have old computer that my grandmother used it before. Its windows  with low specs.

Hard to say if it's worth it. Right now I'd say it's the best coin to mine with low specs because the algo is specifically designed to offer diminishing returns when using powerful hardware. The price could go up and it could be worth it, or it could die in a few months. People used to say that mining only 1 bitcoin a day was a waste of time and electricity...
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 05:49:40 PM

So I have a bunch of old laptops that I'm trying to get some use out of them. one of them is windows and I'm mining zoin with it np and the other one is an old dell that I installed ubuntu on I was wondering if anyone could help me out or point me to a tutorial on how to mine with my cpu on ubuntu and also what would be a good coin to mine on it?

Thanks
If the laptops are really old (like ~ 10 years old) then it might not be worth it at all. CPU mining in general works only with more or less recent desktop and server hardware (with servers, even 7-year old Xeons from Nehalem era are still not bad, with 6 cores and 12 MB of cache they're about half the hashrate of a Polaris GPU in Cryptonight at 120-180W per pair). But older cpus, especially those with less than 4 cores, and in laptops... they're just super slow and throttle all the time, they don't support instructions like AES-NI etc). They'll probably eat more power than they'll make you coins. But then again, I didn't see you mention the actual specs so hard to judge without knowing what we're actually talking about.
philippfo

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:34:05 PM

have some linux server with no usage at the moment (since today) lying around here in the office. with a very good cpu, but bad gpu. so I'll give it a try. if something comes out of it, i'll report it here
mrankin

Activity: 312
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:47:41 AM

I'd be mining Credits(CRDS) it's a CPU only coin - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1944858.0
togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 05:45:40 AM

BiblePay (BBP), fairly new CPU Mining only coin

togoshigekata

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:08:04 PM

BiblePay (BBP), fairly new CPU Mining only coin

How to Mine BiblePay on Linux/Ubuntu:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BiblePay/comments/6ummuj/how_to_mine_biblepay_on_linux/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: