Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:23:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.15.1 Released  (Read 27860 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 02:08:56 PM

i have a question, how far a replay attack can go back in time? i mean if i have a TX with 10k confirmations can still be attacked with a replay attack?

no one know?
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 02:18:02 PM

i have a question, how far a replay attack can go back in time? i mean if i have a TX with 10k confirmations can still be attacked with a replay attack?

no one know?

Probably because you are asking in the wrong thread. AKAIK replay attacks are not limited by time, but if you start a thread asking then someone more knowledgeable than I might answer.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TechBullion

Activity: 51
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:54:57 AM

The transaction time is the turn off for me. It's extremely high.
desmodiAN

Activity: 164
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 10:38:07 AM

does anyone have a proper link for running bitcoin core on raspberry pi?
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 07:08:18 PM

I am thinking about downloading and installing the upgrade but the thought of waiting for the whole chaing to re-sync fills me with dread. Surely one of you must have already tried this if I am up to date with blocks, will the change take 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week?

If you up to date with blocks then there is no need to resynch so the whole upgrade process should take less than half an hour.

It's likely that 0.16 will be released very soon, maybe even within a week or two Smiley

That's great news, what is the source of this information?

I've seen on reddit gmaxwell (nullc) and I think Luke JR also pointed to a release of 0.16 rather soon. As far as I know, this version will be the one that has native segwit support for bech32 addresses (finally). Hopefully this will make Coinbase support segwit and we can see cheaper transactions because it's getting out of hand with the fees sometimes.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 08:59:19 AM

I've seen on reddit gmaxwell (nullc) and I think Luke JR also pointed to a release of 0.16 rather soon. As far as I know, this version will be the one that has native segwit support for bech32 addresses (finally). Hopefully this will make Coinbase support segwit and we can see cheaper transactions because it's getting out of hand with the fees sometimes.

Thanks for that, I'm trying to resist joining Reddit as there are not enough hours in the day for me as it is. It's not just Coinbase but the nearly all major services are using Core so that must account for a very large proportion of transactions. When they are all finally able to start using Segwit then that should increase capacity. Hopefully giving slightly reduced Tx fees until Lightning Network is available which is the major scaling event we desperately need.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:24:29 PM

Thanks for that, I'm trying to resist joining Reddit as there are not enough hours in the day for me as it is. It's not just Coinbase but the nearly all major services are using Core so that must account for a very large proportion of transactions. When they are all finally able to start using Segwit then that should increase capacity. Hopefully giving slightly reduced Tx fees until Lightning Network is available which is the major scaling event we desperately need.

You don't need to join reddit, I've never had an account, you just can lurk it, or bookmark whoever is worth listening to, I got a couple of posters I like that I follow.

On Coinbase; i like to think that they are just being conservative, and they are not deliberately delaying segwit adoption to push whatever hardfork agenda they must be planning next. I've learned to never trust Coinbase.
RanieriClaudio168

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:22:24 AM

I am noticing that this update has remedied some very large issues
MeshCollider

Activity: 78
Merit: 12

Bitcoin Core wallet maintainer

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 03:27:42 AM

I am thinking about downloading and installing the upgrade but the thought of waiting for the whole chaing to re-sync fills me with dread. Surely one of you must have already tried this if I am up to date with blocks, will the change take 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week?

If you up to date with blocks then there is no need to resynch so the whole upgrade process should take less than half an hour.

It's likely that 0.16 will be released very soon, maybe even within a week or two Smiley

The source of the information is me telling you Wink The segwit wallet PR is becoming almost ready to merge and then there will be a couple of other things to do before it is released, but it shouldn't be too much longer to wait

github.com/meshcollider || PGP:
CA03 882C B1FC 067B 5D3A CFE4 D300 116E 1C87 5A3D
MeshCollider

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 09:11:15 PM

A replay attack only happens if there are two chains, and you want to create a transaction on one chain but not the other. Generally this is only possible after a new forkcoin is released, and so an old transaction with 10k confirmations is likely to already be in both blockchains (because it was part of the chain before the split) and thus a replay attack doesn't make sense on it.

TheQuin

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 06:53:50 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2017, 10:14:56 AM by TheQuin

The source of the information is me telling you Wink  

Well, thanks. What I was really meaning to ask is what is the best way to follow the progress myself?

BTW. I had no idea from your nickname at first who you were.  Embarrassed Thanks, Samuel.

UAE Seasider

Activity: 700
Merit: 110

Helios Protocol https://discord.gg/cpzAEMB

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:25:08 AM

Thank you for the informative answer TheQuin, the thought of waiting for a whole chain resync was filling me with dread. Might put it off now though as seeing that 16 is about to drop  Smiley

HELIOS PROTOCOL ★ ✅[DAG]✅[BLOCKCHAIN]✅[PoS]✅[Masternodes] ✈✈✈[weekly Airdrop][join our discord to qualify]✈✈✈
 ▬▬  Mainnet Launched  |  Parallel Blockchain  ▬▬ 
 ▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ Website  |  Github  |  Bitcointalk  |  Bounties  |Discord  |  telegram▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:03:56 AM

It feels like it's been forever since the last IRC meeting summary, too (here's the last one, from the beginning of November): https://bitcoincore.org/en/meetings/2017/11/02/
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:07:41 AM

Thanks for this amazing release. It's just too bad that SegWit support was postponsed on its next release, but I hope it can get fixed.

I guess they decided to go a different route than the following with the numbering?
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11449
fik99

Activity: 83

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 03:54:58 PM

let's say the bitcoin core is now upgraded to bitcoin XT
what would be the changes that would happen in bitcoin? price? fee? wallet? diff?
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:17:31 PM

let's say the bitcoin core is now upgraded to bitcoin XT
what would be the changes that would happen in bitcoin? price? fee? wallet? diff?

Bitcoin XT died long time ago and It's not coming back. Bitcoin price is no longer affected by hard forks negatively (BTG, BCH, SBTC, BTCX etc.) because people consider them as free money so It they would dump them for BTC which result in an increase.
5thFear

Activity: 1260
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 06:13:44 PM

need help. i m searching for the orginal BTC wallet. but whenever i download it, it starts downloading bitcoin core. now i believe bitcoin core is a different currency ? m i right ? is BTC same as BTX ?
MeshCollider

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 08:16:58 PM

The source of the information is me telling you Wink  

Well, thanks. What I was really meaning to ask is what is the best way to follow the progress myself?

BTW. I had no idea from your nickname at first who you were.  Embarrassed Thanks, Samuel.

Best way is probably to sit on on the weekly developer meetings on IRC, https://bitcoincore.org/en/meetings/
Upcoming things like releases are generally discussed there Smiley

MeshCollider

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 08:20:38 PM

Thanks for this amazing release. It's just too bad that SegWit support was postponsed on its next release, but I hope it can get fixed.

I guess they decided to go a different route than the following with the numbering?
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11449

The S2X stuff forced us to push out a different 0.15.1 with a lot more fork protection additions to keep users safe. Because of that it was decided that 0.16 should be the release with the segwit wallet support, so it's being brought forward by quite a lot yes Smiley

AutisticKid

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 09:24:18 AM

is bitcoin core better than blockchain and the others?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: