Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:36:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obtaining BCash throught a pruned node  (Read 188 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 05:10:05 PM

Im trying to to get my BCash finally out of my wallet.dat file on my Bitcoin Core so I can dump it while this pump lasts.

The problem is, my laptop is running out of space and im going to be soon not being able to keep running the Bitcoin ABC node which is the only way I can access the coins. It is not fully synced now but im about to finish.

My question is: Can I enable pruned mode and still retrieve the coins? Im just worried that pruned mode will not allow me to access coins that are beyond the last 1 GB or whatever amount a pruned mode saves (never ran in prune mode).

So I can enable Bitcoin ABC in prune mode while it finishes syncing so I don't run out space and still will be able to access the coins once it finishes?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 05:20:40 PM

Pruning only effects the blockchain data, not your wallet nor any of your transactions. The UTXO set and the transactions in your wallet are pulled out and stored separately from the blockchain data that is deleted. So yes, with pruning you are able to access your coins even if the transaction that created the output was thrown away by the pruning.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 05:44:15 PM

Pruning only effects the blockchain data, not your wallet nor any of your transactions. The UTXO set and the transactions in your wallet are pulled out and stored separately from the blockchain data that is deleted. So yes, with pruning you are able to access your coins even if the transaction that created the output was thrown away by the pruning.

Well that's good hear, im sick of spending 100 GB of data in a coin that I only expect to dump. So I need to wait for the blockchain to be fully synced? Im only 2 weeks away but it's really slow for some reason. Is there a away to add more peers or something to make it go faster? Bitcoin Core goes faster and the blocks are bigger, but the software is the same, so i guess it is a lack of peers?

Also do you think it's a good idea to move my BCH to ElectronCash or whatever Electrum wallet equivalent for BCash? So I can have them accessible instantly at any time. Because the thing is, Bcash can pump a lot at any random time, and I have to wait for ABC to validate open so I can't react as fast. I know I can spend BTC/BCH on a full node even if it's not fully synced, but it takes a long time to open my old computer.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 07:07:53 PM

Well that's good hear, im sick of spending 100 GB of data in a coin that I only expect to dump. So I need to wait for the blockchain to be fully synced? Im only 2 weeks away but it's really slow for some reason. Is there a away to add more peers or something to make it go faster? Bitcoin Core goes faster and the blocks are bigger, but the software is the same, so i guess it is a lack of peers?
The software is not the same. The Bitcoin ABC developers have made significant modifications since they forked from Core and those modifications could have drastically reduced the performance of their software.

You can try increasing the dbcache if you have lots of RAM.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 05:34:55 PM

The software is not the same. The Bitcoin ABC developers have made significant modifications since they forked from Core and those modifications could have drastically reduced the performance of their software.

You can try increasing the dbcache if you have lots of RAM.

Ok I have finally fully synced the Bitcoin ABC node on my laptop, I had to leave it opened all night but finally the hard work is done. Now I need to enable pruned mode. Since I have never done this I have no idea how to properly do it without screwing up. I have searched on the wiki but I can't find anything about pruned nodes.

Can you explain how to do it step by step? it is important to not screw up the blockchain, having to re-sync again would be a nightmare.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2017, 05:38:19 PM

Ok I have finally fully synced the Bitcoin ABC node on my laptop, I had to leave it opened all night but finally the hard work is done. Now I need to enable pruned mode. Since I have never done this I have no idea how to properly do it without screwing up. I have searched on the wiki but I can't find anything about pruned nodes.

Can you explain how to do it step by step? it is important to not screw up the blockchain, having to re-sync again would be a nightmare.
Stop Bitcoin ABC

Add the following to your bitcoin.conf file. If your bitcoin.conf file does not exist, create it.
Code:
prune=550

Start Bitcoin ABC.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:57:37 PM

Stop Bitcoin ABC

Add the following to your bitcoin.conf file. If your bitcoin.conf file does not exist, create it.
Code:
prune=550

Start Bitcoin ABC.

That was easy, the blocks folder is now smaller than the chainstate folder... pretty weird to see Cheesy

But there is still a problem, when I reopened Bitcoin ABC, the progress bar is 112 hours away, it's stuck at 99.99%, and the other counter on the bottom left of the window says "97.5% Syncing Headers" and it's stuck there... what's happening?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: