Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:23:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING - MTGOX HACKING CONTINUES READ INSIDE NOW  (Read 6077 times)
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:39:05 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2011, 12:25:40 AM by Justsomeforumuser

Hi,

I just had notification that someone on

aka
tor5.anonymizer.ccc.de  (a TOR node, aka anonymous making onion routing network)

tried to reset my MtGox password via email.

THIS IS LIKELY HAPPENING EN MASSE TO ALL MTGOX USERS!

Please be aware that your MtGox account is _STILL_ at risk and that although it is not MtGox's fault, you should ASAP change all of your email addresses and passwords to new, non-guessable entries so that your MtGox account won't be hacked/stolen.

Edit:
This email with 100% certainty arrived at the NEW email address I entered on the claims page.
So if this is NOT a valid MtGox E-Mail to warn me of a malicious password recovery attempt by a third party(option A), but someone else's mail(option B), then the NEW email / email database must have gotten out somehow, which in turn would have other implications.

The mail I supplied is solely in use for MtGox.

End of PSA.

Ho-Hum.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:40:28 PM

This is merely a phishing email. NO DOT RESPOND TO IT. Your email address was leaked earlier, people are playing with you.

DO NOT FOLLOW ANY DIRECTIONS IN THE EMAIL.
Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:46:52 PM

Hi,

I just had notification that someone on

aka
tor5.anonymizer.ccc.de  (a TOR node, aka anonymous making onion routing network)

tried to reset my MtGox password via email.

THIS IS LIKELY HAPPENING EN MASSE TO ALL MTGOX USERS!

Please be aware that your MtGox account is _STILL_ at risk and that although it is not MtGox's fault, you should ASAP change all of your email addresses and passwords to new, non-guessable entries so that your MtGox account won't be hacked/stolen.

End of PSA.

I think that was me ^_^.

loljk

Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:50:57 PM

This is merely a phishing email. NO DOT RESPOND TO IT. Your email address was leaked earlier, people are playing with you.

You had me going for a second there..but no, this email arrived to the NEW address that I added AFTER the claim/reset page.

So either that got leaked, or it was indeed a password reset attempt.

Ho-Hum.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:53:25 PM

You had me going for a second there..but no, this email arrived to the NEW address that I added AFTER the claim/reset page.

It'd be nice if they'd put announcements on MtGox notifying users of this sort of thing.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
godofal

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:56:53 PM

I think that was me ^_^.

loljk

lol'd

AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:00:13 AM

Even if it were real it dosen't count as hacking...  and I can't see you being at much risk considering all you need is a user name or e-mail to initiate a password recovery.  Roll Eyes
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:03:20 AM

Even if it were real it dosen't count as hacking...  and I can't see you being at much risk considering all you need is a user name or e-mail to initiate a password recovery.  Roll Eyes

My point was to warn people to change the password to their email accounts if they haven't done so already.
I'm aware that anyone who had one of the leaked lists could just mass-request password recovery via either username or email account; that's kind of what I am saying in the first place.

--
I like the part where the community's first reaction to someone trying to spare some people a loss of their account is "LULZ"  and "BLahrblerpyeawhatever".

And I thought I was a troll to the BTC userbase.

Ho-Hum.
AtlasONo

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:04:31 AM

It'd be nice if they'd put announcements on MtGox notifying users of this sort of thing.

They did say this more than a week ago "DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING

If you receive ANY email which seems coming from Mt.Gox asking you to download something (certificate, generating program, etc), DO NOT DOWNLOAD. Do not either input your password on any site which is not MTGOX.COM."
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:05:45 AM

They did say this more than a week ago "DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING

If you receive ANY email which seems coming from Mt.Gox asking you to download something (certificate, generating program, etc), DO NOT DOWNLOAD. Do not either input your password on any site which is not MTGOX.COM."

The mail simply said to report back to them if this request was made fraudulently and listed the IP address of the guy who tried it => the one I posted in the OP.

Maybe someone could get an official comment and see whether Mt.Gox@w001.mo.us.xta.net is a "proper" MtGox email address / domain or fake, too.

Ho-Hum.
Adam

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:06:19 AM

Who cares if people can do mass recovery though, since they can't access your e-mail it doesn't do anything?  That's why all those e-mails just say if you didn't request to reset your password just delete the e-mail.  Not exactly a big security flaw.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:07:53 AM

It might not be a phishing email. Somebody has been requesting password resets on a number of Mt. Gox users, myself included. But either way, you should probably just ignore it.
AtlasONo

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:08:41 AM

I like the part where the community's first reaction to someone trying to spare some people a loss of their account is "LULZ"  and "BLahrblerpyeawhatever".

And I thought I was a troll to the BTC userbase.

I like the part where you make unsubstantiated fear mongering claims in the topic title in all caps then reiterate something everyone on here already knows and has read 100's of times this past week "change your password".

Just sayin.
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:08:48 AM

Who cares if people can do mass recovery though, since they can't access your e-mail it doesn't do anything?  That's why all those e-mails just say if you didn't request to reset your password just delete the e-mail.  Not exactly a big security flaw.

Okay, I admit, I put this OP and thread in simple and broad enough terms.

What I was saying was: If your old email password is still the same as it was before reclaiming your account, change it.

If you did not, you are still at risk of whoever may have gotten into your MtGox possibly also having your email password(if, for example, you used the same one for MtGox or it got bruteforced/guessed then already).

Again, I love how the common reaction is "Fuck you for trying to prevent theft and warning people".

Ho-Hum.
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

I like the part where you make unsubstantiated fear mongering claims

Either a) some is blindly trying to recover account passwords via reset attempts or b) someone is mass-mailing people.

How is either of those things if it is actually real and happening "unsubstantiated"?
It's one of the two. I got the mail.

Something is happening by people who are not well-willed towards normal users, I posted about it.

You on the other hand are just being a dick about trying to tell people to be vigilant/safe.

Ho-Hum.
finack

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:11:54 AM

Again, I love how the common reaction is "Fuck you for trying to prevent theft and warning people".

The problem is it's kind of like yelling "FIRE! FIRE... If I put my hand in my pocket and pull out my lighter I can make FIRE"
einsteinx2

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:13:53 AM

No the common reaction is "Fuck you for fearmongering". Obviously everyone should be using a new password. Mt. Gox themselves made that pretty clear on top of it being common sense. But "WARNING - MTGOX HACKING CONTINUES READ INSIDE NOW" is a fearmongering title, plain and simple. That's why people reacted the way they did.
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:15:57 AM

One other thing:

This email with 100% certainty arrived at the NEW email address I entered on the claims page.
So if this is NOT a valid MtGox E-Mail to warn me of a malicious password recovery attempt by a third party, but someone else's mail, then the NEW email / email database must have gotten out somehow, which in turn would have other implications.

--------

As for fearmongering: I still have my MtGox account, I still have my BTC in there and I still have my money in there.

I don't see why I would be or should be fearmongering, let alone what good it would be to me, personally. So WTF people.

It's a warning. It says warning. That's what it is supposed to be. If warning someone causes fear instead of awareness then that's up to the person receiving the warning.

I tried to lay out what's happening. I made a suggestion for safety.
I did not suggest panicking, selling all BTC and closing the account.

See the difference?

Ho-Hum.
AtlasONo

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:19:51 AM

One other thing:

So if this is NOT a valid MtGox E-Mail to warn me of a malicious password recovery attempt by a third party, but someone else's mail, then the NEW email / email database must have gotten out somehow, which in turn would have other implications.

--------

See now that's highly important information that should have been included in the original post.
Justsomeforumuser (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:23:45 AM

See now that's highly important information that should have been included in the original post.

No I think our time would be much better spent with every single contribution other than mine basically trying to negatively sanction any attempts at rooting out risks towards real money, BTC and accounts while I get my mind boggled by that some more.

Ho-Hum.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: