Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 11:25:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What could be the trigger to push BTC above US $500?  (Read 2152 times)
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:01:59 PM

Any thoughts, ideas or speculations?

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:06:33 PM

Why not $5,000?  Grin

Perhaps adoption by paypal / western union, ebay, some really big player. If you are talking about short-term. But I think short-term $500 is fantasy talk.

I don't see anything that will suddenly boost the price short-term bar another crazy bubble. And that's not going to happen whilst people still remember the last one.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey from now on - with VC-backed companies really developing the bitcoin infrastructure, hardware wallets, quicker transaction times etc. Making bitcoins easier for the public to use and safer.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/19/30-days-in-bitcoin-angel-group-bitangels-doubles-network-to-120-puts-first-100k-into-seasteading-venture-blueseed/?ncid=tcdaily
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:09:22 PM

Why not $5,000?  Grin

Perhaps adoption by paypal / western union, ebay, some really big player. If you are talking about short-term. But I think short-term $500 is fantasy talk.

I don't see anything that will suddenly boost the price short-term bar another crazy bubble. And that's not going to happen whilst people still remember the last one.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey from now on - with VC-backed companies really developing the bitcoin infrastructure, hardware wallets, quicker transaction times etc. Making bitcoins easier for the public to use and safer.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/19/30-days-in-bitcoin-angel-group-bitangels-doubles-network-to-120-puts-first-100k-into-seasteading-venture-blueseed/?ncid=tcdaily

Well, lets look at just the next 3-6 months.

subvolatil

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

Cypherpunk and full-time CryptoAnarchist

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:13:05 PM

Not for the next 3 years .  if it  does  shoot up to that level, its gona  be  an artificial hike with some asshole fixing to crash it  and  sweep all you money up. 

Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:13:57 PM

Not for the next 3 years .  if it  does  shoot up to that level, its gona  be  an artificial hike with some asshole fixing to crash it  and  sweep all you money up. 

Mass adoption can also drive a price hike.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:19:57 PM

There will be no mass adoption in the next 3-6 months. That's a fantasy. Just won't happen.

Lots of lots of services have to be rolled out by professionals before bitcoin can start going mainstream. Hence the link to all the start-ups being funded by VC. That's where the next wave of adoption will come from, better products and services that the mainstream will want to use. I do believe it will happen, but think 2-3 years, nothing much happens in 6 months except bubbles and bursts.
subvolatil

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:22:56 PM

Not for the next 3 years .  if it  does  shoot up to that level, its gona  be  an artificial hike with some asshole fixing to crash it  and  sweep all you money up.  

Yeh but that also  creates a  bubble.

Take into  factor :
 lets say number  of users to 1 million
 new users just  trying it out getting used to the  currency
 out of that 1 million users 50% will drop out within a span of 2-5 weeks  ckz of the  spike in the currency prices. i predict a spike of 60%
 when the 50 % users start to drop like flies the market  again crashes  ck they  sell just to get out.

A adoption of  some thing  that holds value should never  spike or have massive adoption. just like the real estate market, and the IT bubble that crashed the world economy.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:23:48 PM

ASIC miners and worldwide adoption obviously. Daily thousands of new users are acquiring bitcoins now.
Soon bitcoin will be hard to mine from normal graphic cards and demand will increase.

subvolatil

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:28:14 PM

ASIC miners and worldwide adoption obviously. Daily thousands of new users are acquiring bitcoins now.
Soon bitcoin will be hard to mine from normal graphic cards and demand will increase.

The hash rate it self  will not  be the only  factor  driving  the  bitcoin prices , like empoweoqwj said  until and unless services and goods  dont  come up for bitcoin, people  will have no place to spend  those  bitcoin. If they can't spend the coins the price wont  increase  because  the  demand  for  bitcoin  wont  be that much.  
When demand is low the  miners or hordes holding the bitcoin panic and  start selling  low and  prices  go down .
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:31:10 PM

The hash rate it self  will not  be the only  factor  driving  the  bitcoin prices , like empoweoqwj said  until and unless services and goods  dont  come up for bitcoin people  will have no place to spend  those  bitcoin, if they can spend the coins the price wont  increase  because  the  demand  for  bitcoin  wont  be that much. 
When demand is low the  miners or hordes holding the bitcoin panic and  start selling  low and  prices  go down .

Yes, that's why i said both things. "ASIC miner and worldwide adoptation"

subvolatil

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:43:36 PM

The hash rate it self  will not  be the only  factor  driving  the  bitcoin prices , like empoweoqwj said  until and unless services and goods  dont  come up for bitcoin people  will have no place to spend  those  bitcoin, if they can spend the coins the price wont  increase  because  the  demand  for  bitcoin  wont  be that much.  
When demand is low the  miners or hordes holding the bitcoin panic and  start selling  low and  prices  go down .

ASIC Miner is not  a service, Its a bitcoin generation/(transaction verification) entity all miners are.

Adoption will only come if there is a utility in the bitcoin.
Utility will only come in, if  there is a valid and  strong  reason  for people  to start using  the coin.
What is the use of bitcoin?  to be used as a transaction medium for goods and  services.

so the underlining factor is bitcoin needs a market  to function in and for  companies to start and  offer  services  and  products  will take  time and infra structure.

escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:06:07 PM

The hash rate it self  will not  be the only  factor  driving  the  bitcoin prices , like empoweoqwj said  until and unless services and goods  dont  come up for bitcoin people  will have no place to spend  those  bitcoin, if they can spend the coins the price wont  increase  because  the  demand  for  bitcoin  wont  be that much. 
When demand is low the  miners or hordes holding the bitcoin panic and  start selling  low and  prices  go down .

ASIC Miner is not  a service, Its a bitcoin generation/(transaction verification) entity all miners are.

Adoption will only come if there is a utility in the bitcoin.

Adoption will also come when people will see profit in it and about asic, i think you misunderstood my point.

I want to say

More asic machines => difficult level will go super high => Bitcoins will be hard to mine with normal cards => New People will buy from others instead of mining coins themselves => Bitcoins per user ratio will go low* => More demand/less supply => Price go high.

Ps: It's a long process I'm not talking about instant bubble.

subvolatil

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:52:16 AM

Adoption will also come when people will see profit in it and about asic, i think you misunderstood my point.

I want to say

More asic machines => difficult level will go super high => Bitcoins will be hard to mine with normal cards => New People will buy from others instead of mining coins themselves => Bitcoins per user ratio will go low* => More demand/less supply => Price go high.

Ps: It's a long process I'm not talking about instant bubble.

You are  slightly wrong on your premises, the problem here is that you are  trying to correlate adoption of bitcoin with profit. which is  wrong.

Firstly, profit is only a business driven goal.  if a  business sees profit in bitcoin then that business is  surely meant to fail. but a business seeing bitcoin as having  utility makes more sense. this being a  cardinal utility.

The reason why i dont  see ASIC's entering the market as a problem in price fluctuation. are  because of the factors that right now  determine the price is not the hash rate  but the overall use  of  bitcoin and its  utility.

Before hash rates can make any dent  in the price system the following  conditions  have to be fulfilled:-
1. Services being offered should be reasonable.
2. use and adoption to the masses should  be easy.
3. spending should match earnings in relation to bitcoin.
4. Bitcoin should be readily accessible to people.
5. Strong  reason to use bitcoin over conventional monetary systems.

All these factors are  subjected again by governmental, individual, corporate control and regulation.  Making  it  that much  harder to fulfill the  conditions   mentioned  above.

If you look at the Hash rate  chart of the past one  year the  hashrate does not correlate with the price changes in the past 6 months.
https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate   
https://blockchain.info/charts/market-price

skysnap

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:04:39 AM

1. Easy withdrawal to local banks or cheque (which is quite less these days)

2. Less popularity of other payment processor and their resident currency system like perfect money etc. Less usage of these will increase number of people coming to the bitcoin.
Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:15:14 AM

I think it could be close in three months.  But for the sake of the nitpick I'll use 5 Months. 

Remember when it shot from $8 to $10 then $15 then back to $8. Everyone screamed bubble and I'm sure for a moment it was. A few months later $15 was where it would hold.  Same trend happend before it reached $30-$70. Then it hit over $100. Then ee had the bubble to $250. I speculate within 5 months it will be at $250ish as a natural flow.  Perhaps close to $400 in 11 months
skysnap

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:51:38 AM

I doubt it would be close to 400$. I guess it requires a lot of time and for 500 bucks though, not by small margin that amount is easy to get.
laserwolf

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:42:25 AM

related question: What could be the trigger to push BTC below US $5?
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 09:11:03 AM

related question: What could be the trigger to push BTC below US $5?

I do not think that there is anything in the current path that could do that.

laserwolf

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:20:16 AM

picture this: Bitcoin is used to fund some terrorists who do another Boston Bombing
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 09:25:53 AM

picture this: Bitcoin is used to fund some terrorists who do another Boston Bombing

And, this is something that money does not already fund? If they want to do something radical, I doubt if Bitcoin's measly 1.5B value will help them much and if it's value does go higher, then there will be an economy that may be able to support it.

Once again, most of this is speculative.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: