Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:51:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Investing 100K in mining operation, which crypto to mine & hardware?  (Read 789 times)
Bob1994 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 01:23:07 PM

Hi all,

I have plans investing max. 100K in mining hardware. Because of the relatively high Kwh price in our country (Netherlands), I'm looking for a way to mine with green power to cut the costs.
To the point, I would like to ask you for some advice about which crypto would be the most profitable and stable. Maybe it's even a good idea to mine multiple ones..
My thoughts go to Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero and Waves. What do you guys think? I would also like to know what kind of hardware I should use, because the pascal and volta cards are coming, maybe i'm better off waiting for them instead of buying (for example) a bunch of 1080's.

I'm fairly new in the crypto world, I do research a lot but I would like to know what other people have to say.

Thanks.
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 02:07:56 PM

Hi all,

I have plans investing max. 100K in mining hardware. Because of the relatively high Kwh price in our country (Netherlands), I'm looking for a way to mine with green power to cut the costs.
To the point, I would like to ask you for some advice about which crypto would be the most profitable and stable. Maybe it's even a good idea to mine multiple ones..
My thoughts go to Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero and Waves. What do you guys think? I would also like to know what kind of hardware I should use, because the pascal and volta cards are coming, maybe i'm better off waiting for them instead of buying (for example) a bunch of 1080's.

I'm fairly new in the crypto world, I do research a lot but I would like to know what other people have to say.

Thanks.

Two pieces of advice to start with :
Never buy the most expensive cards (like 1080's or the new volta pascals etc) buy the ones that offer good performance/$ like the GTX 1060 or the RX570, that gets you to ROI faster.
Never mine multiple coins, mine ONLY whatever is the most profitable AT THAT TIME and exchange it for other coins if you think they will go up more in the future.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Bob1994 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 03:59:40 PM

Never buy the most expensive cards (like 1080's or the new volta pascals etc) buy the ones that offer good performance/$ like the GTX 1060 or the RX570, that gets you to ROI faster.
Never mine multiple coins, mine ONLY whatever is the most profitable AT THAT TIME and exchange it for other coins if you think they will go up more in the future.

Thanks for the advice.
Kelarid

Activity: 81

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 04:27:43 PM

Thanks for the advice.

With the cheap cards, if you burn them, the cost of learning curve is low.
frostedace

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 10:13:08 PM

You probably shouldn't invest if you're stupid enough to ask. These posts are so annoying.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2017, 10:31:00 PM

yeah if you have to ask basically what you need, you need to do more research.

Give me 1/2 of what your going to spend, I'll kick you in the balls and we will call it even.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
Dovaogedys

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 10:47:17 PM

Thanks for the advice.

That is a good advice, but stay away from cloud mining, thats really stupid.
Before you proceed, you really need to research hard.
Best ROI is on GTX 1060/6GB or RX570/4GB, RX580/4GB.
Rigs with 6 cards, or even 8 with 2 PSUs.
Cheers mate.
Moondoggie

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 10:48:55 PM

I'm running the 1080ti's and they all ROI'd in what I think was a reasonable time.
Not going to buy many more before Volta comes out. Maybe you'd be best doing a split, spending half of the investment now on Vega/1080ti and learning. Then depending on which flavor you prefer, go with Volta or more AMD cards.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2017, 03:02:25 AM

Buy cloud mining but only 1k max. And dont buy mining hardware. Here is me hashflare refferal code: 14DC8A44 feel free to use it so I get rewarded and you get 3% discount. Don't buy GPU mining rigs because they are overpriced and don't have a great ROI. Sorry voor het Engels zie nu pas dat je uit Nederland komt: als je een miner koopt wat ik sterk afraad, koop er dan een van Bitmain omdat ze een goeie community hebben als je problemen hebt. Koop een Antminer l3+ want die verbruiken niet zoveel. To anyone reading this I'm sorry it is in Dutch but I can explain myself better in Dutch.

Yeah do take care to not take advice from newbies like this. Cloud mining has never been a good idea and it will never bring you profits. Cloud mining contracts have a clause where they can terminate your mining contract at any time they see fit.

Just do your own research and stay away from other people's direct advise. Just google and do your own research, there are already tons of mining guides out there which do the job perfectly fine. Good luck and have fun mining!

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:14:31 AM

If I was going to spend $100K

20 x Baikal x10 Miner -$30K
10 x 8 GPU 1080 TI rigs - $60K
5 x 8 GPU 1060 3GB Rigs - $10K

This would require 33kw steady state

180 amps @ 240
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 04:13:18 AM

I have plans investing max. 100K in mining hardware.

Bullshit, no you don't.  Stop wasting everyone's time with this idiotic question.
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 05:58:10 AM

You probably shouldn't invest if you're stupid enough to ask. These posts are so annoying.

Pretty much this, do your own homework. Asking retarded questions like this on public forums will get you in trouble. Most people have no idea how to build a decent rig and/or will just troll you.
100k free money and no brains. Seems Legit.
Bob1994 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:26:08 PM

Bullshit, no you don't.  Stop wasting everyone's time with this idiotic question.

How would you know? Are you jealous or what? It's not my own money but I ask this because I have a couple of investors I know who want to start this. So pls don't be a smartass and just shut if you don't have anything normal to say.
Bob1994 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:40:27 PM

I'm running the 1080ti's and they all ROI'd in what I think was a reasonable time.
Not going to buy many more before Volta comes out. Maybe you'd be best doing a split, spending half of the investment now on Vega/1080ti and learning. Then depending on which flavor you prefer, go with Volta or more AMD cards.

That's an interesting idea. We do need to how volta is going to perform with mining. But It's not like I'm going to set it up all tomorrow. It's a very large operation so I think the best thing is to start small and see how it goes. Plus I need cheap power supply and cooling mechanism.
Bob1994 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 04:32:35 PM

Buy cloud mining but only 1k max. And dont buy mining hardware. Here is me hashflare refferal code: 14DC8A44 feel free to use it so I get rewarded and you get 3% discount. Don't buy GPU mining rigs because they are overpriced and don't have a great ROI. Sorry voor het Engels zie nu pas dat je uit Nederland komt: als je een miner koopt wat ik sterk afraad, koop er dan een van Bitmain omdat ze een goeie community hebben als je problemen hebt. Koop een Antminer l3+ want die verbruiken niet zoveel. To anyone reading this I'm sorry it is in Dutch but I can explain myself better in Dutch.

Yeah do take care to not take advice from newbies like this. Cloud mining has never been a good idea and it will never bring you profits. Cloud mining contracts have a clause where they can terminate your mining contract at any time they see fit.

Just do your own research and stay away from other people's direct advise. Just google and do your own research, there are already tons of mining guides out there which do the job perfectly fine. Good luck and have fun mining!

Thanks. I just wanted to know how people think about this. But apparently most people rather like to bash me instead of giving some useful advice like you.
zij

Activity: 44

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 09:00:43 PM

You also need to factor in money for the mining infrastructure - somewhere to put the miners (they will be noisy), something to cool the miners (they will generate a huge amount of heat which cannot be underestimated) and in terms of the electric, you probably need somewhere business/industrial or you could hit a limit as to how much electricity you could get into the building - for example, in UK, a house normally has a maximum of 60Amps to 100amps supply fuse..  A business/industrial setup can have 300+ amps.

Also don't underestimate the amount of time to setup shelving/racks, to setup the miners, to get the software running - and then when the mine is up and running, dealing with rigs that become unresponsive and need rebooting..
slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:18:09 PM

If the OP does have 100k (to burn) there are some shipping container mining rigs, with many cards and psus enclosed, these units can be coupled to solar rigs, and maybe industrial powerwalls... worth considering, from a 'green' aspect too.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:32:18 PM

How would you know? Are you jealous or what? It's not my own money but I ask this because I have a couple of investors I know who want to start this. So pls don't be a smartass and just shut if you don't have anything normal to say.

Dude just look back to the last 2 months of ports in the subforum.  Bi-weekly someone posts the same exact question:  "I plan on building a rig, my budget is "INSERT HIGH NUMBER HERE."  What should I buy?"  You said yourself that you are new to the crypto world, why on earth would any investor give you so much money to build a mining operation?  But to answer your question, if you want to know what you can can mine that is the most profitable and stable, bulk order a lot of Antminer S9's;  Bitcoin is king.  And are these clients hiring you to manage this stuff full time?  Managing a $100k alt-mining operation sounds like an absolute nightmare.
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:57:37 PM

If I was going to spend $100K

20 x Baikal x10 Miner -$30K
10 x 8 GPU 1080 TI rigs - $60K
5 x 8 GPU 1060 3GB Rigs - $10K

This would require 33kw steady state

180 amps @ 240

There are a bunch of threads covering this, of course, this is high risk; one thing to look at is if your money can make you more $$$ someplace else.

BUT

I agree with this post (more or less). Maybe look at AMD cards also, they are available now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: