Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:57:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] 'MineCoin': Minecraft-based Bitcoin 'mining' tournaments.  (Read 6338 times)
docius (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:48:51 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 02:37:10 AM by docius

Announcing MineCoin!

Hi folks,

I'd like to introduce a project that we've been working on called MineCoin (https://minecoin.co).

MineCoin is a Minecraft-based tournament game for mining gold ore blocks that are redeemable for Bitcoins (BitOre blocks). These tournaments are pay-to-play (in BTC) with the pooled entry fees making up the total number and value of BitOre in the game. We've retextured gold ore to look more... Bitcoiny.

Update #1: The Beta test is over, you can see the results on the leaderboard (https://minecoin.co/games/leaderboard)

Update #2: You can now access the game server in-between scheduled games to mine BitOre for play in-game currency. The server address is: server.minecoin.co:25580

Update #3: We have scheduled our first tournament match for the 6th of July, 7.30 pm (PDT). The entry fee is 10 mBTC. Entry fees are refundable up until the 24 hours before the game starts. Also allow for 12 hours after paying the entry fee for your balance to be updated and your position in the queue to be confirmed. We will make this process automated and immediate in the very near future.

We are really after your feedback, bug reports and suggestions, so feel free to drop them in the comments below.

--------------------------------

Some in-game screenshots:

BitOre

https://minecoin.co/img/Get%20Started/Features%2006.png

Chest Shop

https://minecoin.co/img/Get%20Started/Features%2007.jpg
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:46:50 AM

Quick update:

There are 8 hours until the Beta test game starts and there 17 spots left open to join. In the game there are 87 blocks of BitOre buried within an area 36 x 36 (from the surface down to the bedrock). Each BitOre block is worth 1 mBTC each.

It's free to join, please contact us if you have any troubles registering or logging in.
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:26:52 AM

Could someone analyse the map data that is downloaded to the client and automatically determine where the BitOre is located?
docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 10:56:12 AM

Not that we're aware of... then again that's what the beta test is for, we appreciate any efforts by white hats out there.

We have also installed a number of anti-cheating and anti-xray plugins designed to locate certain types of block in the map... plus we track and observe user behaviour.

If you have Minecraft, the beta test has just started so feel free to join now as there are still some slots open.
oli123123
Legendary

Activity: 1445
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:55:06 PM

Good idea!
SwiftHF

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:13:33 PM

This doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. How does the queue system work?
docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 06:54:05 AM

This doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. How does the queue system work?

For both free and competition games you need to register with an email address and verify your Minecraft username (we don't ask for your password to do this). After that you're free to join the queue of any game in the Games tab (https://minecoin.co/games/) -- need to be logged into to see this at the moment, will change this soon.

You'll be placed into the queue and if you're part of the first 25 to join the game, but your position will only be confirmed after you pay the entry fee in advance (refundable if anything goes wrong or you pull out minus the tx fees). You'll be whitelisted to the server once the game opens. If you're #26+ you'll have a spot reserved in case someone pulls out.

We have emails that we send to you at each step of the process.
docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 06:54:34 AM

Hey i entered my minecraft nickname as Erdy but my nickname is erdy so i can't join... Can you change it?

Hey Erdy, last I heard we fixed that up for you?
oli123123
Legendary

Activity: 1445
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:51:21 AM

Hey i entered my minecraft nickname as Erdy but my nickname is erdy so i can't join... Can you change it?

Hey Erdy, last I heard we fixed that up for you?

Yep, it's working, thanks. It was an old post  Grin
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 10:34:26 AM

seems fun Tongue this still going on or have i missed the boat now?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:42:38 PM

Undecided

Moogle

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 02:13:13 PM

Undecided
Wtf kinda reply is that that a yes? A no?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:05:58 AM

Undecided
Wtf kinda reply is that that a yes? A no?

Just a placeholder ... the best one to fit was undecided.

You should be happy  Smiley  that I'm even watching this thread.  Wink , it means it has a smidgeon of relevance.

docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 02:33:24 AM

@Moogle:

Yes the Beta is over, sorry you missed out. You can see the results at: https://minecoin.co/games/leaderboard (1 BitOre = 1 mBTC; we're gonna update this to show BTC today).

We're going to be announcing new tournaments and features in the next few days, I'll post them up here.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:01:52 AM

Damn I missed this  Sad

Please let me know when the next game is!

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Moogle

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:37:20 AM

Oh well. Maybe next time :-)

docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 02:38:39 AM

Damn I missed this  Sad

Please let me know when the next game is!

The next game is happening on the 6th of July, check the original post for details! In the meantime you can practice on the server for free. See you in the game.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:02:03 PM

This might be an interesting use case for the micropayments code we wrote in java for bitcoinj:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244656.0

You could get paid for each block instantly rather than having to cash out at the end (zero trust). Also, perhaps you wouldn't need to open an account then.

As Minecraft is also written in Java, you could make a patch to the minecraft.jar file that integrates a Bitcoin wallet directly into the app. Then you could just send coins to your Minecraft instance, log into the server and have it automatically collaborate with the server mod to pay.

Using micropayment channels in both directions, it might be possible to have a new game mode - pay as you go. So you could log in and pay per minute of gameplay, or perhaps just pay a bit whenever a block is mined. So whoever mines the block gets everything and all other logged in players pay "value of block / number of players". If you want to keep the mugging element of the gameplay you can still have a cashout base.
docius (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 11:59:31 PM

This might be an interesting use case for the micropayments code we wrote in java for bitcoinj:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244656.0

You could get paid for each block instantly rather than having to cash out at the end (zero trust). Also, perhaps you wouldn't need to open an account then.

As Minecraft is also written in Java, you could make a patch to the minecraft.jar file that integrates a Bitcoin wallet directly into the app. Then you could just send coins to your Minecraft instance, log into the server and have it automatically collaborate with the server mod to pay.

Using micropayment channels in both directions, it might be possible to have a new game mode - pay as you go. So you could log in and pay per minute of gameplay, or perhaps just pay a bit whenever a block is mined. So whoever mines the block gets everything and all other logged in players pay "value of block / number of players". If you want to keep the mugging element of the gameplay you can still have a cashout base.

Hey Mike,

We were talking about this very thing last night after we saw the post via Reddit. We're gonna look at the details this week. Anyone we could correspond with to answer our questions on the bitcoinj side of things?
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:45:54 PM

You can just use the mailing list, or email me directly (mike@plan99.net). Mailing list is better.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: