Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:23:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Camp BX Hacker / Security Audit: Results  (Read 15879 times)
MeSarah

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:53:41 AM

I seriously doubt anyone will be impressed by that, it's more like a seal of certainty that lulzsec will breeze through the security measures in five minutes.

Lulsec has called it quits. If you know so much about security, where is your security firm located and whats it name? How about the security software you have released or do you just use publicly available software for you hijinks? Oh, have you a peer reviewed security paper you would like to show us ?

What is notable is that CBX is going through a security audit in a public manner. This says more about thier mind set and approach than can be said of any other btc exchange.

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
modrobert

Activity: 355
Merit: 284

-"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 06:26:23 AM

What is notable is that CBX is going through a security audit in a public manner. This says more about thier mind set and approach than can be said of any other btc exchange.

Looks more like opportunists feeding off the Mt Gox hack. Again, this is not question about if the site can be hacked, but rather when it gets hacked, what can they do for you?
qikaifu

Activity: 168

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:40:54 PM

wish you great success.

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 04:02:58 PM

Thank you everyone!  We are always going to treat security as our top priority, and McAfee Secure is just one facet of our approach.  We have used multiple tools to scan for vulnerabilities, and peer-code-review sessions are already in progress. 

Someone quoted LulzSec exploits in this thread, so I wanted to point out that all of LulzSec exploits were directly from the OWASP top-10 list, and thus were preventable if there had been proper security processes in place.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/231303/lulzsec_anonymous_hacks_were_avoidable_report_says.html

We are happy to report that Camp BX is on track for July 5th launch.  We will share more details shortly.

Thank you again,
      Keyur

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
qikaifu

Activity: 168

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:06:16 PM

the day after the birthday of the United States.
Cool~

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 04:09:31 PM

@Serge and Ananas,
          Accepting payments from outside USA requires a lot of compliance paperwork and lawyer-time for a company, so we will work to integrate Europe payment options after our USA launch.

Please PM me with your favorite payment options, and we will work with you to offer those options in Camp BX.

Thank you,
      Keyur

phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:16:17 PM

Thank you everyone!  We are always going to treat security as our top priority, and McAfee Secure is just one facet of our approach.  We have used multiple tools to scan for vulnerabilities, and peer-code-review sessions are already in progress. 

Someone quoted LulzSec exploits in this thread, so I wanted to point out that all of LulzSec exploits were directly from the OWASP top-10 list, and thus were preventable if there had been proper security processes in place.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/231303/lulzsec_anonymous_hacks_were_avoidable_report_says.html

We are happy to report that Camp BX is on track for July 5th launch.  We will share more details shortly.

Thank you again,
      Keyur

I would be interested in performing a penetration test, however only with written consent.
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:20:16 PM

I seriously doubt anyone will be impressed by that, it's more like a seal of certainty that lulzsec will breeze through the security measures in five minutes.

Fancy logos and certifications aside, any site can be hacked, what is more important is how hack attempts are dealt with from the user point of view (are losses covered?).

These logos and shit are just an expensive way to demonstrate that the simple bases have been covered - something that MtGox's previous implementation would have failed to achieve, and I'm not even sure the new implementation would pass as easily as MT seems to think it would (writing your own DB abstraction layer from scratch? Really? You know the site probably would have been recovered a lot quicker if you didn't spend time reinventing the fuckin' wheel, right?). Yes, it's not anything that couldn't be checked with ./nessus - but the point is they spent the money having a third party demonstrate it, instead of saying "take our word for it".

Only a fool really thinks a "hacker safe" badge means "hacker safe", it's just an over-paid but very public way of demonstrating they probably won't fall for the dumbest of shit.

FWIW, hackers don't get into .gov boxen because of the government's weak security standards, they get into them because some asshole doesn't implement the standards correctly or completely when in practice.

Edit: ...and yes, your question about response to breaches is pertinent. My guess is, losses are not covered. To my knowledge, there are no FDIC-style things that apply to Bitcoin - ever. You probably won't have any luck finding a private insurance company who'd insure against Bitcoin losses either because of the wildly fluctuating (and potentially skyrocketing) valuation of them, and even if you could I'm sure the cost would be prohibitive for such an exchange to ever get off the ground.

^_^
itsagas

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:33:12 PM

Hi everyone,
      The results are in!  https://campbx.com/testnet/main.php

We were tested for >1,000 known vulnerabilities specific to our platform and services by McAfee Secure (formerly McAfee Hacker-Safe), who are ranked #1 in security industry for threat detection.  This is the same auditing service used by well-known brands like Costco, Petco, and Roush Racing for their e-commerce websites.

Here is an executive summary of our results:

OWASP top-10 web vulnerabilities:
    A1: Injection - Pass
    A2: Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) - Pass
    A3: Broken Authentication and Session Management - Pass
    A4: Insecure Direct Object References - Pass
    A5: Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) - Pass
    A6: Security Misconfiguration - Pass
    A7: Insecure Cryptographic Storage - Pass
    A8: Failure to Restrict URL Access - Pass
    A9: Insufficient Transport Layer Protection - Pass
    A10: Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards - Pass

Distributed Denial-of-Service attack: Pass with no noticeable slowdown in response time

All vulnerabilities are classified on a scale of 1-to-5, with 5 being Urgent and 1 being informational.  Camp BX final scorecard is:
Sev 5: zero
Sev 4: zero
Sev 3: zero
Sev 2: zero
Sev 1: 29
(Sev 1 includes information like "DNS Server detected", "NTP Server detected", "SSL Certificate mismatch on Testnet.CampBX.com"...)

This makes Camp BX is  the first Bitcoin platform certified for compliance with 7 information and data security standards!  

We have also achieved all requirements for the McAfee Secure Trustmark, and on our livenet launch Camp BX platform will proudly wear this badge.  A HUGE thank you to Alex and Yuriy for burning the midnight oil to fix all issues identified, and ensuring that we are able to achieve this crucial certification prior to our launch.

Going forward Camp BX will be re-tested daily for all known vulnerabilities.  We realize that security is a process, and we have put together alerts and escalation procedures in place to ensure that anything higher than Sev 1 is fixed within 72 hours.

Thank you and good night,
      Keyur

While it is great you have had this done, this is mostly marketing.   Unless there were some other tests done, you are being very misleading on what this really means.

"(formerly McAfee Hacker-Safe), who are ranked #1 in security industry for threat detection"
Ranked #1.  When and by whom?

"We were tested for >1,000 known vulnerabilities specific to our platform"
Really?  How were the tests specific to your platform?  To my knowledge, and after talking to them on the phone today, there is only one McAfee Secure product.  It is a standard daily PCI scan that is the same for everyone that buys that product.  You can be set up and them scanning you in hours by putting some code on your site.  As their rep said on the phone  "it is all in the cloud, you just put the code on your site and we scan every day."      

We have also achieved all requirements for the McAfee Secure Trustmark
The trustmark is just a badge you get for passing all the automated tests every day.  It is a marketing "bonus" to show your customers you got the scan done, there are no additional tests involved.  They even say on their site that by displaying the badge customers got "12% increase in sales conversions"

certified for compliance with 7 information and data security standards
Is this what McAfee says you have passed from using their McAfee secure product?  Or do you have other tests?  
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 04:41:40 PM

While it is great you have had this done, this is mostly marketing.   Unless there were some other tests done, you are being very misleading on what this really means.

"(formerly McAfee Hacker-Safe), who are ranked #1 in security industry for threat detection"

Really?  How were the tests specific to your platform?  To my knowledge, and after talking to them on the phone today, there is only one McAfee Secure product.  It is a standard daily PCI scan that is the same for everyone that buys that product.  You can be set up and them scanning you in hours by putting some code on your site.  As their rep said on the phone  "it is all in the cloud, you just put the code on your site and we scan every day."      

The trustmark is just a badge you get for passing all the automated tests every day.  It is a marketing "bonus" to show your customers you got the scan done, there are no additional tests involved.  They even say on their site that by displaying the badge customers got "12% increase in sales conversions"

Is this what McAfee says you have passed from using their McAfee secure product?  Or do you have other tests?  

Itsagas,
      I think there may have been couple of miscommunication on your call - McAfee has three products.  (1) McAfee Secure  (2) McAfee PCI Certification, and (3) McAfee Saas Vulnerabilities Scan.

Sales teams are not the best source for technical answers.  Please open a ticket with their support team, who will be able to tell you far more details.

Essentially, the test includes a set of probes to guess what software / versions you are running, and then the specific tests battery starts.  I have the full log available to me, and can share it with a reputed member of Bitcoin forum for independent verification.

And as I mentioned couple of messages back, McAfee is just one facet in our approach.  We are using everything from Nmap to peer-reviews to find holes before launch.

Hope this helps,
      Keyur

itsagas

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:51:36 PM

Itsagas,
      I think there may have been couple of miscommunication on your call - McAfee has three products.  (1) McAfee Secure  (2) McAfee PCI Certification, and (3) McAfee Saas Vulnerabilities Scan.

Sales teams are not the best source for technical answers.  Please open a ticket with their support team, who will be able to tell you far more details.

Essentially, the test includes a set of probes to guess what software / versions you are running, and then the specific tests battery starts.  I have the full log available to me, and can share it with a reputed member of Bitcoin forum for independent verification.

And as I mentioned couple of messages back, McAfee is just one facet in our approach.  We are using everything from Nmap to peer-reviews to find holes before launch.

Hope this helps,
      Keyur

Thanks Keyur, I am aware what they offer, I talked to them at some length.   Here is their three products.  There actually aren't different tests involved between the three.
http://www.mcafeesecure.com/us/products/compare_products.jsp

Yes, you fill a questionnaire out and then the tests start.  Then the tests are the same every day.  I understand.   I am just saying to admit to what this actually is. 

No doubt you have logs full of tests, no one is questioning you signed up and did Mcafee Secure.  The tests in your logs will be the standard tests that the Mcafee Secure Daily PCI scan gives to every website that pays for that service.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:02:18 PM

@Serge and Ananas,
          Accepting payments from outside USA requires a lot of compliance paperwork and lawyer-time for a company, so we will work to integrate Europe payment options after our USA launch.

Please PM me with your favorite payment options, and we will work with you to offer those options in Camp BX.

Thank you,
      Keyur

Thanks. I actually live in the States, but was wondering if you'd work on global scale.

Any word on your rates?
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 05:03:35 PM

@Serge and Ananas,

Thank you,
      Keyur

Thanks. I actually live in the States, but was wondering if you'd work on global scale.

Any word on your rates?

Got it!   We are at 0.55% for non-margin trades.

DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:06:32 PM

I think I'm looking forward to this exchange. The mt gox "delay" is getting annoying. And I've always wanted the ability to put in a fill-or-kill order.

I'd like to see call options.

bitoption.org

But, if a big site that could actually get some volume going that would be awesome.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:08:04 PM

Thank you Keyur for such great responsiveness!
Your rate is looking great!
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:26:59 PM

I've done PCI compliance stuff for Free Talk Live; I'd be happy to review your report in strict confidence and offer my opinion.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Keyur @ Camp BX (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 06:07:53 PM

I've done PCI compliance stuff for Free Talk Live; I'd be happy to review your report in strict confidence and offer my opinion.

The Gods have spoken to us!  Thank you error - PMing you.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 06:01:40 AM

I think I'm looking forward to this exchange. The mt gox "delay" is getting annoying. And I've always wanted the ability to put in a fill-or-kill order.

I'd like to see call options.

bitoption.org

But, if a big site that could actually get some volume going that would be awesome.
I've written some contracts there, but they are struggling with the MtGox API and it's just kind of amateur looking. I don't wanna risk a whole lot of money until the site grows up a little.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:51:44 AM

The Gods have spoken to us!  Thank you error - PMing you.

OK, my opinion is as follows. If you find it too long, there's a brief summary at the end. In the interest of full disclosure I must say that I signed up for Camp BX today, just like many of you, though I have yet to make any trades there.

Keyur sent me a copy of a McAfee security report dated June 30, 2011, for review. McAfee generates several types of reports after each scan. The report provided was the "Executive Report." This report states whether the site scan passed or failed and gives an explanation and summary of the results. This comprised the first four pages. The next 726 pages of the 730-page document listed all of the tests that McAfee may perform on a server, though without specific results. In short, this version of the report was designed to beat clueless CIOs over the head with and to keep the company lawyers quiet.

The results showed that the site passed scanning, with 29 severity 1 issues, and no issues of severity 2, 3, 4 or 5. An explanation within the report states that in order to maintain PCI compliance, the site must have no issues of severity 3 or higher. (Severity 1 issues are typically pointless blather; some examples I have seen elsewhere are: "Your site has a DNS server," "Your site is running Drupal" etc.)

The report provided did not give specific information as to the issues identified. This information is in a separate technical report. I asked Keyur for a copy of this report, explaining that my opinion would be limited without it. Today he contacted me and stated that he would not provide a copy of the technical report as it contains server information that he did not want to be available outside his organization, even under a confidentiality agreement. This is quite understandable.

Now for some background.

When one of these security scans identifies an issue, this is what happens. Let's say for instance that you have an SSH daemon running on your server. You almost certainly will, since this is how your administrators will make a remote connection to do normal system administration stuff. McAfee or whoever will connect to the SSH daemon and check its version, and then check the version number against known vulnerabilities. If the version number is one that's known to be vulnerable, then you get an issue. Depending on the specific vulnerability it could be anywhere from severity 2 to 5, where 2 is not very serious and 5 is fix this yesterday or you're going to be pwn3d.

So this issue pops into your next report and you have to deal with it immediately or lose your certification. In the case of the SSH daemon, the original authors of the daemon patched the issue and released a new version. Now if you were smart and bought an off the shelf Linux distribution like Red Hat Enterprise, then you are mostly guaranteed that versions of various critical software on your system won't change for the lifetime of the distribution. It will always have the specific version number of the SSH daemon (and anything else on the system). Enterprise distributions lock versions in this way to guarantee that various APIs and ABIs don't change and break the applications you deploy. So Red Hat will take the security patch from the SSH daemon, leave the rest, and give you a patched SSH daemon with the same version number, and only the security patch applied.

But this is a problem for McAfee since they really don't know you've applied such an update (known as a backported patch) unless you tell them. So one of the ways you can resolve that issue and keep your compliance is to tell them you upgraded your SSH daemon to the patched version that Red Hat provided you. The trick here is that this may or may not be true and McAfee has no way of knowing from an external scan, without actually attempting to exploit the vulnerability! I don't believe that any of the security scanning services go this far with system daemons (though they do with web app security such as SQL injection), as attempting to exploit some vulnerabilities can disrupt production servers.

TL;DR:

It appears that Camp BX is being responsible with server security. The report provided to me showed that it passed McAfee SECURE and PCI compliance. Keyur has also told me that his team responds to anything of severity 2 or higher within 72 hours. (Severity 1 "issues" typically are merely informational.) However, the external security scan services themselves have limitations, in that some of the information necessary to determine whether site services are vulnerable is self-reported rather than being scanned. This is a limitation of all such services. I can offer no informed opinion on whether Camp BX's system administrators are actually applying system updates from the operating system vendor, or on what schedule, as this information was not provided to me.

This actually took some time and a bit of work. If you found it helpful, feel free to send some BTC or fractions thereof to 15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W .

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
vectorvictor

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 07:27:24 AM

all this really means is that the hackers will need to be a little more clever

Right, or to put it another way, 96% of the script-kiddie hackzorz have no shot.

I'm dubious of offerings from big corporates like MacAfee -- they might be more show than go, because there is a PR aspect for both sides (PR = lies).

Nevertheless, kudos to Camp BX for getting *some* accreditation from an objective third party.  Sure, a top-drawer hacker might still be able to waltz right in, but at least there is a real barrier to entry.  That's a lot more than some exchanges can say, and it shows that they've made a commitment to doing it right.

Thanks for reading through the report, error.

Now we should ask them about their plans for two-factor authentication, because they might not have thought about that yet...  ;-)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: