Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:31:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tried to send BTC directly to BTC Cash on Kraken. HELP PLEASE!  (Read 217 times)
deadfishdesign (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 07:03:43 PM

Huh  Huh I have no idea what I'm doing, but I simply wanted to trade some BTC for some BTC Cash.

Thought I could do that by sending BTC from Electrum to my Kraken account with no problem. Now I understand that it is not possible and the money is stuck somewhere.

Kraken support adviced me to ask you guys: "Let them know you did a cross chain spend and if they can help you to stop broadcasting the transaction or possibly double spending it."

Could someone PLEASE help me fix this? I'm a complete idiot and really need step by step instructions. Kiss

At least it's set on REPLACEABLE (dont know the meaning of that really) and the ID is: 0f08b8d72b01e272e2934949c4eb8d362f7d69959f0450adf90fcb764ff96c5d
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 08:00:28 PM

Unfortunately, your transaction has a pretty good fee, and it is quite likely that the transaction you sent will confirm before you can build and broadcast a replacement transaction.

I'm not an Electrum expert, so you might want to ask in the Electrum forum to see if there is an easy way in Electrum to build a replacement for a transaction that was sent from Electrum.

Another option would be to extract the private key of address 1B9G9SzFKrtEin7XBo1Yss4pQtXvSYunUG from Electrum and then use that private key to build and sign a replacement transaction with Bitcoin Core or some other software.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2017, 08:04:42 PM

If Kraken is advising you to resort to double spending then they probably won't recover your BTC (or at least won't try to) if the transaction confirms. Here are the steps you should follow to create a double spending transaction back to yourself.

1. Go to https://coinb.in/#newTransaction
2. Open Electrum. You will need to export the private key for the Bitcoin address the money was sent from, which in your case is a single address. Do not share this with anybody, as it will compromise the security of your entire wallet. To do this, click on Wallet on the toolbar, then go to Wallet > Private Keys > Export. Look for the private key (the one on the right column) corresponding to the address you used (1B9G9SzFKrtEin7XBo1Yss4pQtXvSYunUG).
3. On coinb.in, where it says "Address, WIF key or Redeem Script:", paste that key and click "Load".
4. Here's the tricky part that I can't give you exact steps for because I don't have a wallet to test this with. Once you click load, you're going to want to create a transaction with the following:
Inputs: You want to use the single input that you used in the transaction, which was of size 0.17876 BTC and from address 1B9G9SzFKrtEin7XBo1Yss4pQtXvSYunUG.
Outputs: You want to send the money back to yourself so that the new transaction you're creating confirms and not the other one sent to Kraken. This means the output you add should be back to yourself. You can re-use the address you sent from or use a different receiving address, but this one should be coming back to you.
Fee: I believe that the fee on this page is calculated like it is in Bitcoin, meaning that the fee is whatever is left over from the amounts you've sent to all your outputs (Just your address in this case). You'll want it to be  significantly higher than the original transaction, if I were you I would choose something about 50% higher than your original transaction, about 0.0015. Your new transaction will be slightly smaller in size so your fee/byte should be more than 50% higher.

Once you've done all this (Entered your private key, selected the correct inputs, created a new output back to yourself with a sufficiently higher fee), you should have a raw transaction which is a bunch of hex characters (0-9 and a-f). Take this and copy it, then go to the verify page on the same site (it's on the navbar up top) and paste it in. It will show you where the money is coming from, where it's going to and what the fee is, double check all of this.

Finally, if it all checks out, click on the "broadcast" link on the top. This is where you actually submit your transaction to the network. Take that same hex you copied earlier and click submit. You should then be able to see it on the network and on blockchain explorers.

Remember, never give out your private key to anybody here. Good luck.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 08:11:31 PM

RGBKey's suggestion for using coinb.in might work.

I suspect there is a faster or easier solution to delete the transaction from Electrum so that you can just create a new replacement transaction (with a higher transaction fee) using Electrum
deadfishdesign (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 08:30:50 PM

Thank you all!

However, I would have thought too, that there would be an easier way than what RGBKey i suggesting. Just like you say, DannyHamilton.

What would you suggest I do?

cheers!!

And if neither Kraken or Electrum help me out with this stupid little mistake they're pretty f*cking petty and I'll probably never use theme again
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2017, 08:39:51 PM

Thank you all!

However, I would have thought too, that there would be an easier way than what RGBKey i suggesting. Just like you say, DannyHamilton.

What would you suggest I do?

cheers!!

And if neither Kraken or Electrum help me out with this stupid little mistake they're pretty f*cking petty and I'll probably never use theme again

Well, Electrum is just the wallet. They can't help you not send to Bitcoin Cash addresses, because they're identical, and I'm fairly certain Kraken, like all other exchanges includes a big warning when depositing BCH or BTC that other currencies are not supported. It's on you to read the instructions and warnings presented to you, and it's not on them to clean up your mess. Take responsibility.
deadfishdesign (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 10:12:29 PM

I hear you. I should be more responsible and learn more.

But now I'm in this mess and have to figure it out somehow.

I will try your suggestion, with coin.ib, eventhough I will probably fuck things up even more. But if that's the only option I have, what else can I do?

Wish me luck or something.  Undecided
deadfishdesign (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 11:04:45 PM

Total confusion, of course:

1. I have 2 boxes in the details of the transaction. The first one is called Inputs (1) and have to series of numbers in it. The second one is the adress I sent from, I presume.

2. Second box called Outputs (2) also two series of numbers, but different values. First one has the value I wanted to send to myself, the other  has 0,12782200.

on Coin/ib under "Inputs" I have som other boxes to fill, like Trans. ID in one, N in another one and Script and Amount. An the last one is Fees, which I cant change at all, a random number has just appeared there, which is way more than I even wanted to send money to  myself: 0.12876000

Anymore clarification as to what Im supposed to fill in, please?

/Björn
deadfishdesign (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 12:53:23 AM

WONDERFUL!!

Lost a whole god damned money even though I tried to fix my mistake. Now there's been 1 confirmation, so I guess I'm fucked. So incredibly furious now, how f*cking hard can it be to send som digital doe???
Thanks for your attempt to help me, RGBKey, but I knew I wouldn't understand it.....

FUCK!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: