Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:38:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO SPOT FAKE/SCAM TOKENS?  (Read 393 times)
Xfactor06 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 08:53:19 AM

As a newbie i could go skeptical on investing my hard earned money on tokens. Is there any advice from you that i can get to determine a token that could go scam in the future? thanks in advance.
esgdrhlg

Activity: 173
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 09:03:01 AM

Well, if an altcoin development team doesn't update the code for half a year on github, you have to be careful.Currently, half a year of ICO token, many teams have stopped updating the code on github and should say that they have disappeared.I didn't target any team.
GaxviiBuss

Activity: 155

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 09:11:29 AM

Well, if an altcoin development team doesn't update the code for half a year on github, you have to be careful.Currently, half a year of ICO token, many teams have stopped updating the code on github and should say that they have disappeared.I didn't target any team.
Check the code is updated or not just one step. They might have new code not working so no update, so we can check their respone to community question.
Herlina

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

Decentralized Digital Billboards

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2017, 09:21:38 AM

Tokens are made for something related to a project so To determine it you must assess all aspects of the Project of tokens such as developments, updates, etc

swoolzze

Activity: 69

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:21:34 PM

You can tell it like some fake if its somethings fishy. Also if you understand well the project but the tokens has a different use of it or just a copy.
barlo357

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:27:29 PM

In order to spot fake/scam tokens, analyze that particular token. And you can also ask for the experts in this forum about that token. Sharing the information here will also be helpful for all of us.

CryptoBuds
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1042

HODL

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:33:00 PM

Deep project research is the only way. As investor you should be able to dig very deep to know everything about project. I think that the team and well known advisors is the best evidence of legitimness of any project.

treepixel

Activity: 226

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:33:20 PM

Warning signs:

1.) "We'll be listing on bittrex shortly".
2.) Their dev team of 3 spends the entire day in Telegram non-stop.
yannick225

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:37:13 PM

Pay attention to the ICO if you do not want to lose money, most of the time that's where the scam come from.
The main rule is to always be reassured that there is a real team behind the project and that the project in itself will be adopted in the future,  of stay away of scam like Bitcoin or Onecoin who are obviously ponzi and  always be sure that the project have new features.
If you have a doubt about a project you can post a message on the forum and we will all discuss together to help you make the best choice and it will be beneficial for all of us
serizawa

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:44:05 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2017, 02:02:15 PM by serizawa

you should see the ins and outs of the token project,
if you want to buy token ico find that has escrow it will make secure your money
apolonio

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:56:56 PM

You can never really tell.For some it has a great start then before the payment takes place then boom manager just disappered from nowhere.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
engrshu

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:08:24 PM

Keep track on those token that you want to invest in. Do some deep research before putting your money into high risk. If the dev and mod is always active, then that's a good sign. Check if there's a development in their project. Ask the experts in what they think about the project, if it's worth investing. But this is all not sure, we don't know what they have up their sleeves. 

[
Xfactor06 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:05:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it much.
cryptoenterprise

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:09:33 AM

Warning signs:

1.) "We'll be listing on bittrex shortly".
2.) Their dev team of 3 spends the entire day in Telegram non-stop.

question, why would a dev team spending his entire day in telegram be a problem? maybe thats his assignment and they want to answer any enquiries for the community? just a thought.
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:15:03 AM

Never invest in some coin just because some of your friend will suggest you to invest in that coin and claims it will be big in next few months.

Don't take suggestion about coin you will get from this forum or in trollbox.

Go through different ICO review site and check their unbiased review and take your own decision.

Make some search about the team member listed and make sure they are using real names and actually project is based somewhere with real company backing it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
alfstep

Activity: 308
Merit: 128

Here I come! Again!

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:22:21 AM

I dont think we will know if it is a scam before it happens to be a scam
Most scammers are pro, they are doing it as their daily job
This is the risk we need to cope with in crypto, easy to earn money but easier to lose it all

bakunawaaa

Activity: 112

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:32:29 AM

Best way is to check with people here. Research and read their white paper. Go ask the hard questions in their customer support box. You can consult with people here, this forum is actually very helpful with anything related to crypto currencies.
SearchingforS

Activity: 238

“The Future of Security Tokens”

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:33:22 AM

As a newbie i could go skeptical on investing my hard earned money on tokens. Is there any advice from you that i can get to determine a token that could go scam in the future? thanks in advance.

Well, the reality is that it can't be done 100% accurately so there will be wins and losses anyway. But expierience can increase the nukber of your wins; there's no "secret" about determining coins...

nexus2k14

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:05:05 AM

Because you are a newbie, I will advise you to start your portfolio with coins/tokens from first Top 25 from www.coinmarketcap.com There are where they are for good reasons: they are popular, have good community and already proved they are not scam. You can't go wrong with them. It would be nice to diversify your portfolio for example:
60% BTC
20% ETH
20% Tokens you chose Dash, Monreo, Lisk, Neo.

If you really want to know how to spot SCAM:
- you need to do your own research (always)
- check their website, whitepaper, bitcointalk ann thread, youtube reviews, and community channels like slack and telegram, read as much as you can and don't forget about comments
-if your unsure ask here on the forum I am sure some more experienced user will always help you
-each project will have at some point false accusation here on the forum (FUD), at least I always seen this happen
-google for reviews and ICO rating
-visit YouTube and search Ian Balina (he is very good in review new ICO's)

It's really hard to determine without experience which project is dodgy/scam, just try to invest small first in ICO, and always not more than you can afford to lose.    
Bambinoe

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:08:34 AM

From their white paper and the Dev team behind the project.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: